Author Topic: Recovery from TTO, MPFL, etc  (Read 326 times)

Offline caringkate03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery from TTO, MPFL, etc
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:31 PM »
Greetings- I am new to this site and am learning a lot!

I started dislocating my left kneecap back in 2000 in high school gym class. (I am now 32).  Since then, I have dislocated multiple times per year.  I never pursued medical care further as it always popped back in place and the pain would go away within a day or two.  Fast forward to this winter where the pain didn't go away and I knew I needed to be seen by orthopedics.

I found out I had patella alta, a TT-TG of 21, and trochlear dysplasia as well as a basically useless MPFL.  As per the op note- "profound instability pattern."
On March 8th- I had a TTO with anterior medicalization, chondroplasty to the underside of the patella, open reticular lengthening, MPFL reconstruction with a cadaver graft, and medial imbrication. 

I am just feeling a bit down a week out with the pain.  I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but I highly underestimated the pain.  I have 4 kids and it is hard to be on crutches and using a walker- and know that this is my reality for the next 5+ weeks.  I am curious how people stayed motivated.  I am also wondering success of these procedures for others as well.  I need some mitigation that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  Any advice for recovery and pain control?  I am icing as much as I can and propping my leg up.

Thanks for any feedback, advice, words of wisdom!!

-Katie

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Recovery from TTO, MPFL, etc
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
if you can get a motorized cryo cuff i highly recommend one, you can strap yourself to the circulated cold water tub for hours and it always really helped me keep the pain in check (more so than painkillers imo).

in terms of motivation, if you keep telling yourself you just need to make it over that initial hump of surgery pain, which is no small task, then you will be able to start doing some gentle exercises (depending on your surgeons protocols and recommendations). once you start to get some movement, some range of motion and a little muscle action back i feel like it's a lot easier to stay positive and motivated as you start to see progress.

just remember to do your exercises faithfully, see a sports physio or athletic therapist if you can to help monitor and guide your program, and don't push too hard. those are some major knee surgeries and your body deserves the opportunity to fully recover from them.

Advertisement

support