Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recovery from TTO, MPFL, etc  (Read 34 times)

Offline caringkate03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery from TTO, MPFL, etc
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:31 AM »
Greetings- I am new to this site and am learning a lot!

I started dislocating my left kneecap back in 2000 in high school gym class. (I am now 32).  Since then, I have dislocated multiple times per year.  I never pursued medical care further as it always popped back in place and the pain would go away within a day or two.  Fast forward to this winter where the pain didn't go away and I knew I needed to be seen by orthopedics.

I found out I had patella alta, a TT-TG of 21, and trochlear dysplasia as well as a basically useless MPFL.  As per the op note- "profound instability pattern."
On March 8th- I had a TTO with anterior medicalization, chondroplasty to the underside of the patella, open reticular lengthening, MPFL reconstruction with a cadaver graft, and medial imbrication. 

I am just feeling a bit down a week out with the pain.  I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but I highly underestimated the pain.  I have 4 kids and it is hard to be on crutches and using a walker- and know that this is my reality for the next 5+ weeks.  I am curious how people stayed motivated.  I am also wondering success of these procedures for others as well.  I need some mitigation that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  Any advice for recovery and pain control?  I am icing as much as I can and propping my leg up.

Thanks for any feedback, advice, words of wisdom!!

-Katie

Advertisement

support