Author Topic: Ruptured Quadracepts Tendon  (Read 543 times)

Offline Tae111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Ruptured Quadracepts Tendon
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
03/ 04/2017 I ruptured my right quadriceps tendon. 5 says later I had the surgery. As of yesterday it's been 1 week since the procedure. I am in a full leg fixed streight brace. My Dr. said I could bear weight with crutches. I have even taking it real slow  While on my way to the bathroom  I stumbled a little and put a little streight leg pressure on the leg. When this happened I felt a pop right in the area of the repair. I wasn't  bending my leg at all. There wasn't  any real pain associated with it but now I fear I have reinjured the tendon. I don't feel any increased pain afterward but that pop has me concerned. It was midnight when it happened so I have to wait until they are open later this morning to make an appointment. I hope I don't have to go through the surgery again.  :-\

Offline Tae111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Ruptured Quadracepts Tendon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
This might help me. Right after the injury happened I couldn't lift that leg up at all. Right after the surgery should I be able to lift the leg?

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 161
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Hi Tae111

I would expect that your leg is in either a brace or a plastercast, which will remain there for at least six weeks and even then after removal, your tendon will not have healed but the PT will begin.    Treat the knee with respect - PATIENCE is required.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Tae111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Went to the surgeon today to have things checked out.  He said it might have been scar tissue that caused the pop. The repair looked to be in good shape. Whew!!. I have been told that I will be in the fixed leg brace for 6 to 8 weeks and then 3 to 4 months physical therapy just to begin using it normally again. Could be a year before it's back to full strength and even then it might not be 100%. At this point I am taking it real easy as everything is painful.  :-\

Offline Tae111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
I am now 11 days post op. I am on percocet 5/325 1or 2 every 4 to 6 hours. The medication works pretty good keeping the pain at bay. I also have a  Polar  care unit running pretty much 24/7. I don't like the brain fog for the meds though.  Yesterday  I took 2  percocet  at 6:00 am and was able to go almost all day  without needing any more.  I'm  not trying to tough it out I just wasn't  having much pain. That ended last night at 7:30 pm  when I started having muscle spasms  while at rest.  I'm  back on 2 percocet every 4 hours. That seems to have  decreased the spasms and the pain associated with them.  My next doctors appointment is in 2 days. 

Advertisement