Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: S/P plica excision in a runner. Major quad atrophy & portal scar tissue  (Read 176 times)

Offline jmonroe81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello! I am 6 weeks post op plica excision and chondroplasty of a chondral defect. I developed major quad atrophy despite PT. I cannot descend stairs. My knee feels like it's going to pop and I have no VMO control. I have full ROM. No pain really, except over my lateral portal incision and theres scar tissue there. That area is thick and feels like it is compressing against my patellar tendon. Laterally I feel like there is a pebble in the way, near the portal sight. Ive tried to work on the scar tissue. Massaging it, etc. But for some reason whenever I contract my quad, its the lateral portal area that hurts. My medial femoral condyle used to hurt from the plica, and now I have no pain. My main concern is my quad atrophy. I am not making any improvements in that area. PT does STIM and I ordered a home unit as well. The doc says my VMO will take a hit from the plica excision. i just feel like I'm not improving or improving VERY slowly. I cannot even begin to think about running. i cant even do a single leg hop. I have friends who've bounced back quicker than this and can run after plica excision. 5 wks post op my doc did a cortisone shot because of the swelling and it wasnt going away. Any suggestions???

Advertisement