Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Constant pain after fracture surgery and PT  (Read 875 times)

Offline Ronibeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Constant pain after fracture surgery and PT
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »
It's been 9 weeks since my fractured patella surgery. According to the doctors my bones have healed. I started PT 3 weeks ago and walk (hobble!) with a cane as the brace was removed 2 weeks ago. Although I have a decent rom and PT doesn't cause pain while I'm doing most of the exercises I found that after my sessions, that evening and the days that follow, I am in intense pain with stiffness and heat. As the past 3 weeks have gone by, I cannot reduce the pain day or night and have the feeling like my knee area is being squeezed when I attempt to move it. Haven't slept in weeks and can't control the pain. Will this ever go back to normal?

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Constant pain after fracture surgery and PT
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
Hi, please don't despair, you are not alone.  This is a devastating injury that really does take a long time to recover from.  I am just over 3 months now from a comminuted fracture and I still have trouble sleeping.  Are you taking any pain Meds?  I was worried that I shouldn't still need pain relief but I do.  Do you sleep with a pillow between your knees?  The most useful bit of kit that I have found is a Cyro Cuff, it cost about 100, gives you about 6 hours cold therapy and really is a life saver.  I too have good rom and can do pt but I feel my knee has a ball and chain attached to it!!  I massage my knee constantly with oil and this helps.  Are you in U.K.?  Good luck and be patient.