Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Trochleoplasty, MPFL reconstruction Diary  (Read 1652 times)

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Trochleoplasty, MPFL reconstruction Diary
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »
My son had Trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction with donor ligament today.  Long day for him but I'm really hopeful this will be the answer to many years of dislocations.  I will try and update as we go along so future patients can follow along with our ups and downs.

Surgery was 4 hours and he is staying in the hospital overnight.  He is on a CPM machine with a GameReady ice machine.  He walked on his crutches tonight putting weight on the repaired leg, which I thought was pretty amazing. 

He is a  young adult in great shape so everyone expects a good recovery.
6/09- L MPFL repair, arthoscopy, lateral release, chondroplasty
4/10 - R - Arthoscopy, mircofracture, lateral femoral condyle, lateral release, chondroplasty patella, MPFL repair with medial reefing
1/16- L - Trochleoplasty, MPFL reconstruction

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Trochleoplasty, MPFL reconstruction Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
Day 2-

Night went well, he is up partial weight bearing as tolerated.  Knee is swollen but not crazy.  He had a nerve block so we are a bit nervous about how he is going to feel when its all done.  Using CPM machine is really helping.  Getting a bit itchy from the pain meds but other than than in good spirits.  Heading home today will update later.
4/10 - R - Arthoscopy, mircofracture, lateral femoral condyle, lateral release, chondroplasty patella, MPFL repair with medial reefing

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Call your surgeon and report the itchiness. Probably an allergic reaction
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
Still in hospital everyone aware, taking some meds for it :)

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 12:41:56 AM »
Day 2 continued-

Back to hotel now, pain intense.  Long day for my boy.  I believe the pain block is starting to wear off so I'm a bit nervous for the night.  Still feel that this was the best surgery for him, praying for a good night.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:35:03 AM »
Wishing him all the best... he is young and he will be okay... it is always hard to see any of your kids go through any pain... stay strong for him..

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Days 3-7
Wow!  Its been quite the roller coaster this past week.  My son is doing well.  Constantly icing with the Gameready (so happy we have this) and now at 90 on the CPM machine.  Pain is ok, comes and goes.  Many times it is controlled by taking his regular Tylenol but at night he still takes the higher stuff. 

Getting around is hard, mostly because it hurts!  Every day gets a bit better.  Had his first PT yesterday, he did well.  He is set up for 2x week for the next 8 weeks so lets see how that goes.  We did purchase a shower chair that has been invaluable!

Feel free to ask any questions.

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Day 18

Things are going well!  Swelling is slowly going down but still significant.  He is still doing the CPM for 6-8plus hours a day and icing with the Gameready.  He is really feeling good and looking forward to moving forward in his recovery.  He no longer takes narcotic pain meds but does still take regular Tylenol.  Sleeping is a problem so he has started taking Tylenol PM which seems to be helping.

We are following Dr Arendt's protocol so crutches and braces will continue for several more weeks.

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
DAY 41

Doing great!  Still following protocol of brace. pwb and crutches.  Can bend unassisted to 120 and everyone is really pleased with his progress.  Ice and CPM have really helped.  So far so good!

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
Quick update - 76 days post op.  Walking without crutches and feeling great.  PT says he is doing great and full steam ahead.  He has no pain at all.  Still going to PT 2x a week, expect to wear brace another month per Dr. Arendt's protocol. 

Offline samstevens

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:12:10 AM »
I realize that your son's surgery was a year ago, so you may not be on this site anymore, but I would love if you saw this!!! A second knee doctor has recommended a trochleoplasty after having a lateral release w/ medial reef (that didn't work).
I am just curious as to how your son is doing nowadays, considering he is around a year out. I really want to make sure that this is the right decision to make.
Thank you

Offline mamason

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »
Thought I would check back in....Son's first surgery went exceptionally well.  Everything was great, until his other knee starting dislocating.  He has the same issue on both knees.  Dr. Arendt got him in right away and he had the trochleoplasty.  He is now 8 months post 2nd surgery and is doing amazing.  We wouldn't have done it any other way.  Dr. Arendt is a pro, so happy we found her.

support