Author Topic: Recommend a doctor near Ohio?  (Read 867 times)

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 52
Re: Recommend a doctor near Ohio?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
Paladyr,

I am also located in Cincinnati.  The best knee Doctor in the area for arthritis/cartilage problems (in my opinion) is Dr. Noyes for Cincinnati sports medicine.  I had a single cartilage defect on my patella.  He was very knowledgeable and told me to wait as long as possible for surgery.  However just like you, I wanted to take the risk and have a surgery that would help me get my active lifestyle back.

Ultimately, after much research I ended up having the cartiform surgery in Indianapolis with Dr. Farr.  Dr. Noyes had no specific training with cartiform.  He only offered Denovo which seems to be much more hit or miss based on the testimonies.  I have yet to hear a negative story about cartiform.  The good thing about cartiform is it is usually covered by insurance while Dr. Broyles procedure is not.  Unfortunately it sounds like you have several lesions, so cartiform might be ruled out.  If cartiform is not ruled out for you, then I highly recommend it as I can already run and squat pain free at 9 months post op

Offline paladyr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
Paladyr,

I am also located in Cincinnati.  The best knee Doctor in the area for arthritis/cartilage problems (in my opinion) is Dr. Noyes for Cincinnati sports medicine.  I had a single cartilage defect on my patella.  He was very knowledgeable and told me to wait as long as possible for surgery.  However just like you, I wanted to take the risk and have a surgery that would help me get my active lifestyle back.

Ultimately, after much research I ended up having the cartiform surgery in Indianapolis with Dr. Farr.  Dr. Noyes had no specific training with cartiform.  He only offered Denovo which seems to be much more hit or miss based on the testimonies.  I have yet to hear a negative story about cartiform.  The good thing about cartiform is it is usually covered by insurance while Dr. Broyles procedure is not.  Unfortunately it sounds like you have several lesions, so cartiform might be ruled out.  If cartiform is not ruled out for you, then I highly recommend it as I can already run and squat pain free at 9 months post op

Thanks for the info! I actually just sent a message to Dr. Farr at OrthoIndy (that's right isn't it?) and will inquire what treatment/surgery he would prescribe just so I have all my options.

Offline paladyr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not but the surgeon I did see told me that my knee could heal. She didn't give me a timeline and when I called to ask the person on the phone didn't consult the surgeon, just said to wait 6 weeks to see if it improves. Well it has improved in the last 6-8 weeks, but my question is how long should I wait before I can reasonably say this is as good as it's going to get?

Offline paladyr

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Wanted to post an update. My first doc told me to stop doing any kind of weighted squats, do knee rehab exercises, start taking glucosamine chondroitin, drink tart cherry juice (helps with inflammation, only did this for the first month or two), and take it easy on my knees for an extended period of time. I've been doing that for almost a year or so and I'm able to jump again. I do have limits in that if I jump too many times in a certain period of time my knee will start getting clunky and painful. The last time this happened I was snowboarding/jumping for about 3 hours.

I'm happy I did not have surgery and instead just patiently took it easy on my knee and strengthened all the muscles that help the knee perform as it should. I'm still following stem cell therapy and hoping there's some way to make my knee 100% though.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »
That's great, thanks for the update!
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Advertisement

support