Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: 34 years young. 100% meniscus removed. Imlant? Transplant? Nothing?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: 34 years young. 100% meniscus removed. Imlant? Transplant? Nothing?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »
I'm 25 and developed grade 3-4 chondromalacia/OA within 16 months of having most of my medial meniscus removed...at age 23

It "could" take 10-15 years....but it could also happen rapidly. I agree with your thoughts on trying to beat it before it gets bad.

Have you looked into stem cell injections?
Right Knee-
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP-7-28/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/18/15 -
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/7/15
Microfracture, loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/21/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal 1-20-14
Lateral Release-10/08
Meniscus Repar-10/07

Offline jmfronsee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 01:06:01 AM »
Getov, this sounds very promising, keep us posted in the up coming weeks (or we will go check out your other thread).  So from what I can tell, if you are young and have a healthy / OA free knee - the Actifit or CMI implants (scaffold based implants) and very promising and will most likely do their job.  I have read a few other cases where OA was already setting in, beyond just minor OA - and they did not have a very quick healing time, and never went back to sports (the threads are somewhere here on Knee Guru). 

Catherine.  You should be worried, but you DO have a lot of time to figure things out.  It has been about 1 year since my meniscectomy that removed most of my meniscus.  My recent Xray does not look any different/worse since then.  And MRI shows the smallest about of arthritis.  Scary it is starting, but SHOULD not happen to fast if you are careful.

Research stem cell options to keep the knee healthy for now - and JOINT SPACE is very important.   Visit a chiropractor for the time being, and have him help you keep the joint space open where your meniscus once was.   Keep the fish oil supplements going and glucosamine (jury is out whether this really works, but I am taking the chance and trying it).

But ultimately something needs to go in place of where your meniscus was, to absorb that shock that your cartilage is taking.

Offline Catherine88

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
Yeah, sucks, but at the same time, i met a guy In the hospital who had His lateral removed 12 years ago, as well as part of his medial, is a rugby trainer(50 years old) went In for the torn ligament for his other leg and so That is how he found out the ine without the meniscus has got the arthriris (They did an IRM on both) and he didnt even know..Its actually the other leg for which he got the ligament redone That bothers him more..then two of my fysio's had the same, 2 and 5 years ago, still skying despite the lack of meniscus and no problems so far. Same with My fitness instructor, both legs, both meniscus cut 8 years ago, no problem..so the fact is, no one knows..no one can predict..my surgeon says after the correct reeducation, i can go back to my sports and possibly expect arthrosis in 15-20 years. What bugs me is That while They are sometimes obliged to take out a lot of meniscus, They dont propose simething, anything to put In Its place..thats the real problem!

Offline jmfronsee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 01:20:46 AM »
I may come back here from time to time and post updates.   Almost 1.5 years from my sub total medial meniscectomy (I have a small rim left, but where it "counts" in the middle is completely gone).  Nothing feels different.  I frequently hike and boulder scramble.  I have even played "American" flag football occasionally and beach volleyball.  I feel, at the moment, I could play any sport.   So in a fairly healthy knee, with very little medial meniscus remaining, a normal life is possible.   BUT FOR HOW LONG...  I think about my knee every step I take, should I really be doing this activity, etc.  so maybe it is not a normal life haha.

Also wanted to post some other options I found.  I have not researched these much.

Fibrofix, another scaffold - using silk worm spun replacement, I think...

Tissue Regenix OrthoPure XM.   

Atlas Knee System:  this sounds interesting, it is basically like a car's shock/strut from what I can tell. And is drilled into your knee above and below the joint.  Acts as your shock absorber, taking load off of the joint.  Nothing I would want at the moment. But I hear as long as you can take load completely off of the joint, it may be possible to REVERSE OA and regrow cartilage.  Not sure on the truth to this either.

Offline Catherine88

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and what you found! My question to you is, how long did it take you to feel your knee normal again? I believe if you feel you could do any sports again it is because you have no muscle imbalances, which is great. No instability issues either?

Offline jmfronsee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:20:30 AM »
Catherine88.  I should have provided a bit more detail (there is more in my earlier replies here too).  My knee is not perfect, and I do have some of what I guess you could call instability. But my surgery recovery was pretty fast.  Doctor said I would be back to hiking in a few days... That was not the case.  But I believe I was walking without crutches quickly, maybe less than 1 week even. Was back to hiking in maybe 1 month.  Recovery took longer as it was not just a quick snip of a tear, but ended up being full removal (leaving a rim in place).

I do not have arthritis yet, maybe some thinning starting. technically I should not have ANY pain at the moment then?. But I do...  I believe I have a strained or damaged ligament somewhere in the anterior medial area - my pain is top of the tibia.  But pain goes away for the most part after I am warmed up.  Sometimes I step at a certain angle and I feel a shooting pain, usually walking downhill, I know that is my bones hitting together...  Sitting and inactivity are the worst.  If I sit working at computer, not even necessarily that long I have to warm the knee up again.  I walk a little awkward until it warms up.

I also injured my calf a while back, I am wondering if that is pulling something through my knee, causing pain.

So there is my long convoluted answer lol. 

A few other random thoughts for you:   When I ride my dirt bike or regular bicycle, my knee feels great after. Something about the knee being bent and contraction on and off.  Pumping fluid back in.

Take a walk or bike ride everyday if you can!  Keep that thing lubricated!

Last note for you, sorry it is somewhat negative, but I am sure you have already researched this. I know your meniscus issue is lateral.  Laterals have a worse prognosis...  I believe because it takes more of your body weight load, and the ends of the bones are not convexed slightly like the medial side is.  But I have talked to an 80 year old guy with removed lateral, who is still active and does squats, etc.  With pain and arthritis of course, but impressive and gives us hope none the less.

How bad is your pain level?  I should go back and read your story again.  "They" are making strides with knee research, in 10 years they could have crazy stuff that will fix us right up...  I hope at least

Offline Catherine88

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
Hey there again:) and thanks. Yes, mine is lateral, which broke to peaces after I jumped on my knee without ligament. A stupid thing to do now I know, lesson learned very hard. So they removed almost all of it during the ligament operation which was done with hamstring autograft. What I experience is not pain, rather it is a weird pulling sensation in the lateral area, I wonder if it's it band issue..it does though gets better with time. I also have weakness still, a little bit when going down and i definitely see the difference in strength between the good and the bad' knee. But I have faith, i tell you why; a friend of mine completely blew her knee skiing, the ligaments, the meniscus , the cartiledge, the bone..was on cruthech for 6 months, went through two operations, nothing of which really worked, until she got prp's over a course of 6 months treatment and then some collagen injections, don't know the precise details as I did t talk to her surgeon, but it worked!! She is feeling good and the irm images from before and after look like a completely different knee now according to her surgeon:) So yeah I ll have to live with this weakness but that doesn't mean that by the time I need it there won't be any other new solutions added to already working existing solutions. It is what it is, I can tho back, but I can do all the right things and enjoy life nevertheless. Thanks for your encouragement, and keep us posted;)

Offline dibs01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
Hello jmfronsee. I'm 34 years young and I have exactly the same worries with you; however, mine is lateral and I got 'subtotal' (80%) meniscectomy and ACL recon. I broke my knee during playing basketball in Jan 2017, and I'm doing rehab nowadays. I don't have any pain and swelling on my knee. I'm very active person like you, so I was afraid I will get arthritis. But I got the courage to see your posts, and I consider coming back to active sports after finishing rehab, while watching my knee carefully.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:40:30 PM by dibs01 »

Offline Catherine88

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »
Helo, exact same situation here, how are you getting on? Are you planing to get some kind of implant in? When did they tell you you could return to your sports? Thanks for sharing.

Offline dibs01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
Catherine88. I'm feeling good and doing better, so I don't wanna get implant in (like MAT, TKR ...). My doc said that active sports like basketball or crossfit will do harm to my knee, but I want to play that kind of sports after 6 months postop. Nowadays, I'm looking for knee braces that could help me. Manufacturers insist that 'unloader braces (Ossur CTi OA or Bledsoe DUO ...)' might prevent osteoarthritis during doing active sports. I'm not sure, but it seems like helpful, so I'll get one of them and try.

Advertisement

support