Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Denovo NT Tibia region  (Read 1209 times)

Offline martialartist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Denovo NT Tibia region
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
I have several issues in my knee. One defect on my Femur doctor recommends OATS allograft and not Denovo. He says he is not a big fan of Denovo and only goes that route as a last resort. He says OATS is a "better" option in that higher success rate, better end result of cartilage. Right or wrong.. that is the plan ahead.  He is self proclaimed as "The Cartilage Guy" of the practice. All others with cartilage issues come to him. I am having serious concerns about OATS.  Doc is very confident though. My defect is quite small and does not pain me much. I am doing this as a preventative so it does not get bigger. I have had this for many years and last MRI six years ago shows the defect has grown some, but not very much.

One place that he cannot put the OATS plug into is the Tibia. I asked if he could denovo that area and he said that he could, as long as my alignment and other items in my knee were in good shape. I may need a new ACL.  I have this one since 1998 and its been OK. Slightly loose and I think loose enough to cause my current issues.

Has anyone here had their Tibia cartilage restored with Denovo NT??

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 55
Re: Denovo NT Tibia region
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
I'd personally advise against Denovo NT.  I went to one of the nation's top cartilage docs and he is not a fan either.  He prefers the newest allograft cartilage replacement option which is cartiform.  Google "Arthrex Cartiform".  There is an abundance of information on it now.  I personally had cartiform surgery to my patella 8 months ago and I'm already back to cycling, light jogging, squatting, etc.. (all pain free).  Cartiform was 100% covered by my insurance (UHC).

Offline 01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
I am currently recovering from a Denovo NT graft for a femoral defect. I haven't seen any posts about using it on the tibia, but Zimmer literature does list "tibial plateau" as an applicable area:
http://www.zimmer.com/content/dam/zimmer-web/documents/en-US/pdf/medical-professionals/biologics-sports-medicine/zimmer-denovo-nt-natural-tissue-graft-brochure.pdf

Good luck!
04/2016 Denovo NT on LFC/trochlea

Offline icarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:03:42 AM »
Hi martialartist,

I am also from the San Francisco Bay Area and I was wondering who was the surgeon that did your Denovo procedure?

I can't seem to find any surgeon that does Denovo!

Thanks

Offline martialartist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
As a post OP one year follow up, for some reason the doc was unable to denovo my tibia. He microfractured it which didn't do much of anything.  One year later its quite painful still.  I ended up with OATS in the other area which did not take real well. Its more painful now than ever. About the only thing I can do is walk, and that is an effort.  I get swelling constantly and pain constantly as well.  Now I am looking at other options once again.