Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL, PCL and MCL reconstruction -  (Read 2470 times)

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
ACL, PCL and MCL reconstruction -
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is is my first post and I'm looking for people with similar injuries. I completed full dislocation of knee back in August and due to other commitments only getting surgery tomorrow.

I fully ruptured my ACL, PCL and MCL in a rugby match and have damaged my meniscus. I am using both my hamstrings and my patella tendon for the reconstruction.

Was just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for the next few weeks?

Also anyone do anything similar and how did recovery go?

Here's hoping it all goes well  :)

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: ACL, PCL and MCL reconstruction -
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
ice or a cyro cuff is your best friend post surgery! hope your recovery goes well :)

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »
Thanks for reply, will keep in that mind! Doubt I'd be able to sleep  tonight with the anxiety getting this done! Good thing have the superbowl to keep my eyes entertained!

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
So the surgery went ok, my legs are quite big so only able to complete the ACL and PCL this time around in 4 hour surgery. Have to go back in 4 weeks to complete MCL as have to be able to bend to 90 degrees.

Was quite anxious before the surgery but feeling really good 2 weeks after the op so hoping as all ligaments weren't complete at same time will work in my favour for recovery.

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:44:26 AM »
I'm 3 weeks since my last operation on MCL. Not going to lie the ACL and PCL recovery seemed to go alot smoother. My hamstring was used as a graft to my calf for my new MCL. Alot of bruising and pain, the last 3 weeks have been very tough, first time I've felt disheartened since the injury.

Currently locked out in brace and will be for another 3 weeks......this time cant go quick enough!!

Can't wait till start even doing PT, this phase is the worst though!!

Anyone got any advise on how they got through?

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
RR!

Frick... You're right in front of me with the 100% of ACL, MCL, PCL, although I have meniscus involved as well. I still have my head in the sand about the 4 week lock out when they told me that last week. That, and the thought of non-weight bearing trying to wrap my pea brain around. How you managing?

Sorry to hear of double surgery. What gives? And both hamstring and patellar grafts?

Cheers

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »
Venicematt we seem to be the lucky few that have had the pleasure of this injury :)

I also had meniscus damage which the surgeon fixed on first op.  Yeah as I said the PCL and  ACL post op went very smoothly. Was meant to be using patella tendon and hamstring but surgeon was worried he mightn't have enough hamstring so decided to go with the allagraph as he had ordered anyway. The double surgery was due to the size of my legs, the joys of being a rugby (former) and chunky legs!

Yes the lock out is the worst on the MCL. I take the brace off when resting at home but apart from that the last 3 weeks have deflated me.  I am weight bearing with crutches now, it helps but still difficult.

When are you scheduled to get your op? You planning to use your hamstrings or allagraphs?

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
Hey RR.

Lucky is a way of putting it...Haha. Play the lotto.

I read that again after posting, yup, super similar injuries. AND you're blessed with ginormous legs as well. Pretty funny trying on pants, shorts, anything involving the tree trunks. Haha

Sorry about the brace... Still can't imagine it. What been the most challenging? I am already in the future about the toilet, not being able to get in a car, sleeping, etc.... Stoked you're wt. bearing.

Ortho is using allagraphs for your very reason, I was very reluctant initially, now, I'm ready to charge it and get filleted already. Rehab is crazy difficult now, before surgery with ROM being so minimal. It's in the next 3-6 wks, still working on a firm date.

Cheers

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
Yeah the previous joys of being a 36/38 inch waist with 29 inch legs :) :)

Il give you a bit more background! The injury actually happened last August but by the time the swelling was going to come down, I only had realistically 6 weeks before I was getting married on Friday 13th November(obviously cursed) so smart (wife) decision was to put off till after the wedding.  Was due to have the surgery the 1st week of December but on our flight to Budapest for our honeymoon I got a hot cup of tea spilt on my leg by the air host which gave me full thickness burns which required me to get a skin graph. This was also on my bad leg which wasn't fun.

This actually delayed my surgery again till February when I first posted on this board. Since the original injury back in August I have prob put on 2 and a half stone which is the most frustrating. I've started being extremely careful now with food intake as every bit of weight on these knees will make a difference.

The most frustrating for me is not being able to be active like I used to. Also the fact I have a 2 year old who likes running everywhere and not have the freedom to take him anywhere or do anything.

Going to to the toilet with straight locked out leg is always fun :) and was lucky enough to get my hands on an automatic so haven't been restricted getting around. The leg does get sore sitting at a desk all day but try put up whenever possible.  I hadn't planned to get the allagraph but was happy for surgeon to advise here, in fairness he was brilliant and went through everything with me and put me at ease with all my concerns.

Have attached a couple of pics of the bruising after the injury and post op. (pretty neat to be fair)

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
Haha. Yup, tree trunk legs! ;D

That is some serious bad luck, yikes.

Eating.... We get used to stuffing our gullet for sure. Ha
My wt. has increased as well and I'm still trying to exercise but just unable to do what I used to do. How did you manage having a 2yo and everything associated with this injury? Props!!!! How long until you were driving? I'm thinking of blogging, daily updates for my own sense of improvements, setbacks, etc. I've had some fairly serious injuries and unfortunately I think this will be the doozy to date. It's not just a little pinche ACL....Haha

Glad the allograph went well and the pictures are impressive...Frick.

Did you do any pool training at all for ROM, exercise, easy wt. bearing, etc?

Cheers

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
Sorry venicematt haven't been back for few weeks!

Just back from surgeon today, 5 weeks post MCL op now and have to stay another 1 week on crutches for stability with a smaller brace. Not back to see him for another 6 weeks and the only thing he has told me to do is PT with strength work on quads!

No Pool work or anything else currently, just glad to be getting the big brace off........its all about the little wins :)

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
It's all good....

How things going?

Little wins is right! How's the psyche with the boredom, if any?

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Not too bad now, crutches are gone tomorrow  :) :) :) :)

Went and completed some circuit training yesterday which was first time since August (feeling sore but great) obviously all upper body but def feeling more excited after that.

Put on the smaller brace and it made my knee grind and crack when I bent it so have to wait to see what surgeon says, hopefully that would just loosen out. 

Honestly feeling a lot better the last few days, long may it continue!!!

How's things going with you now?  Have you got a date for surgery yet? Still doing PT work?

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
Stoked to hear you're back at it and charging forward. Hopefully ROM is improving rapidly. Seems a fine line of overdoing it too soon. :o  Graduated from being called skip. haha

Still no date and I'm quite frustrated about it to say the least. I'm diligent rehabbing, able to surf-ski quite a bit so that maintains some form of mental and physical sanity. I had it worked on today and really seemed to help with increased circulation.

Offline rockinrory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
Is taking a while to get a date!! Good to hear you are still able to remain active, that wasn't something I could even attempt to do even 6 months after injury before surgery!!!

Would you believe being me I had an incident over the weekend. Was on boat going down shannon and slipped on boat and jerked my knee. Felt instant pain and had to go back on crutches........

Had MRI yesterday and met surgeon who advise the screw had been pulled out so is now lying idle, so have to go back for 1 more surgery now. If the graph is intact he will just screw back with bigger screw or may need to take hamstring from right leg.......would you believe Im going on holidays next week so have to put off till come back, he nearly wanted me to cancel but said it will be fine and give time for swelling to go down!!

I really shouldnt plan anything fun :)

Happy it wasn't ACL/PCL damage as that wouldnt be fun!!!