Author Topic: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15  (Read 11747 times)

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 01:55:41 AM »
Willrunagain:
My appointment went well and Dr. Davidson thinks things are fine. I got the inlay as well, and that's taking its toll in that it's been very slow to heal, although I'm riding now with pretty good effort on the flats. Except for the tendon, I don't feel pain. I'm going leg press, and that still causes the knees to feel pain, but it's not necessarily a bad pain--maybe it's just building up strength pain. In regards to the partial failure you spoke about, did you hear that from Farr or were you able to get that from Davidson?
I did hear some unsettling news about Cartiform--regarding a younger patients experience-- but we must remember that he states a 90% success rate.
I think it's really good you've succeeded so far and I'm emotionally and physically invested in your continued success. In not hearing from the few others who've had Cartiform on this forum, maybe that's a great sign.

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
Willrunagain:
Absolute gratitude, man, for helping pave the way for us all. You and Canyonking--who I'd love to hear from--are godsends. I'm no where near your success, as I have many months do go before I reach the mile mark. I wonder if metal and plastic would have been better for me because it's simply so hard for me not ti worry about the 10% failure. My OS said that metal and plastic would have far more restrictions and felt that I would not be happy with such measures, so I do feel I got the better deal--while it's working. I guess I can always go with the patella resurfacing if the Cartiform fails, but, as he's said, I'll not like it.
Anyway, keep up the good work you're doing on this website. You're a generous guy to give so much back to this forum. Cheers!

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I have not been on here forever. I'm 8 months post op from Cartiform and an osteotomy. Things progressed very well over the summer. Currently, I am cleared to run outside but I haven't tried it yet. I am able to complete leg presses, lunges, box jumps to about 2 feet, lots of biking, stair mill, elliptical... etc. I just visited the surgeon last week and he seems more cautious than I was expecting. He said no walking lunges, no box jumps, and no running on a treadmill. He did say ok to running not on a treadmill. Also, I wanted to start some light squats for tons of reps that I formerly took in a group power class. Again, he said no. He does like the leg presses and the cardio machines. My main issues are still some swelling if I am on my feet doing a lot of standing, but not as long as I'm moving. I'm having trouble getting a really strong quad and he would love me to try "blood flow restriction therapy." I'm in a rural area and they don't have it but I'm looking to do it on my own. All in all,  the pain I had pre op is gone. The issues I have now are massive stiffness at times and I think that is due to the osteotomy as much as the patella. Just a few weeks ago I can touch my heel to my butt. Also, I was trail bike riding up to 18 miles in month 3-4. Mostly 3% grade or less but still a lot of miles. No issues walking or doing everyday stuff but my gate is still not right coming down steps or walking down steep hills.  I think it's mental as much as physical. I am currently "feeling" my way through therapy and trying to get some explosive movements going along with the strength training. Also, trying to gauge how often I can do rigorous workouts.  Today I'm a little sore with a long workout after a 4 day break. Worth mentioning is I have biked 15-20 minutes every single day plus stretching since week 6 or 8 just to keep the blood flowing everyday. I am very anxious to try and jog but have not picked a time yet. Shortly I'm going to try some light squats as I was doing those in Sept at therapy.  I went only with PT for a full 6 months and have spent the last 2 on my own. My best days are usually my workout days unless I aggravate it a bit and then it swells in the evening. I can say more movement is better than sitting around. Doing everyday work also seems better than my concentrated gym workouts. Ok, sorry for the saga. The Dr. Said it's like a "tire patch" and not to wear it out but I think he may be a bit cautious after reading what others have posted. Still, after a hard workout, I get stiff and a little sore under the cap so I'm being cautious. No pain at rest or with the exercises that previously caused it. I think I may also have some general recovery pain that only happens during some of the exercises but doesn't feel sharp and I often think isn't under the cap. Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »
Will Run Again... nice job at the year mark. Again, I have not been on the site in months but am still trying to learn. It's hard not to be afraid to try new things but I'm gradually going out of my comfort zone. I'm just afraid it will "pop " but again, mental more than physical I think. When I do things that don't allow me to think about the knee, it's always better.

Offline Amanda P

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
BaddChad,

Came across your posts when researching cartiform and am hoping you reply.  I am also in Western PA and likely facing the same procedure.  I also have UPMC insurance.  I wanted to see who did your surgery and how you are doing this far into recovery.

Thanks!

Advertisement

support