Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15  (Read 12705 times)

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 01:55:41 AM »
Willrunagain:
My appointment went well and Dr. Davidson thinks things are fine. I got the inlay as well, and that's taking its toll in that it's been very slow to heal, although I'm riding now with pretty good effort on the flats. Except for the tendon, I don't feel pain. I'm going leg press, and that still causes the knees to feel pain, but it's not necessarily a bad pain--maybe it's just building up strength pain. In regards to the partial failure you spoke about, did you hear that from Farr or were you able to get that from Davidson?
I did hear some unsettling news about Cartiform--regarding a younger patients experience-- but we must remember that he states a 90% success rate.
I think it's really good you've succeeded so far and I'm emotionally and physically invested in your continued success. In not hearing from the few others who've had Cartiform on this forum, maybe that's a great sign.

Offline taylob

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
Willrunagain:
Absolute gratitude, man, for helping pave the way for us all. You and Canyonking--who I'd love to hear from--are godsends. I'm no where near your success, as I have many months do go before I reach the mile mark. I wonder if metal and plastic would have been better for me because it's simply so hard for me not ti worry about the 10% failure. My OS said that metal and plastic would have far more restrictions and felt that I would not be happy with such measures, so I do feel I got the better deal--while it's working. I guess I can always go with the patella resurfacing if the Cartiform fails, but, as he's said, I'll not like it.
Anyway, keep up the good work you're doing on this website. You're a generous guy to give so much back to this forum. Cheers!

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I have not been on here forever. I'm 8 months post op from Cartiform and an osteotomy. Things progressed very well over the summer. Currently, I am cleared to run outside but I haven't tried it yet. I am able to complete leg presses, lunges, box jumps to about 2 feet, lots of biking, stair mill, elliptical... etc. I just visited the surgeon last week and he seems more cautious than I was expecting. He said no walking lunges, no box jumps, and no running on a treadmill. He did say ok to running not on a treadmill. Also, I wanted to start some light squats for tons of reps that I formerly took in a group power class. Again, he said no. He does like the leg presses and the cardio machines. My main issues are still some swelling if I am on my feet doing a lot of standing, but not as long as I'm moving. I'm having trouble getting a really strong quad and he would love me to try "blood flow restriction therapy." I'm in a rural area and they don't have it but I'm looking to do it on my own. All in all,  the pain I had pre op is gone. The issues I have now are massive stiffness at times and I think that is due to the osteotomy as much as the patella. Just a few weeks ago I can touch my heel to my butt. Also, I was trail bike riding up to 18 miles in month 3-4. Mostly 3% grade or less but still a lot of miles. No issues walking or doing everyday stuff but my gate is still not right coming down steps or walking down steep hills.  I think it's mental as much as physical. I am currently "feeling" my way through therapy and trying to get some explosive movements going along with the strength training. Also, trying to gauge how often I can do rigorous workouts.  Today I'm a little sore with a long workout after a 4 day break. Worth mentioning is I have biked 15-20 minutes every single day plus stretching since week 6 or 8 just to keep the blood flowing everyday. I am very anxious to try and jog but have not picked a time yet. Shortly I'm going to try some light squats as I was doing those in Sept at therapy.  I went only with PT for a full 6 months and have spent the last 2 on my own. My best days are usually my workout days unless I aggravate it a bit and then it swells in the evening. I can say more movement is better than sitting around. Doing everyday work also seems better than my concentrated gym workouts. Ok, sorry for the saga. The Dr. Said it's like a "tire patch" and not to wear it out but I think he may be a bit cautious after reading what others have posted. Still, after a hard workout, I get stiff and a little sore under the cap so I'm being cautious. No pain at rest or with the exercises that previously caused it. I think I may also have some general recovery pain that only happens during some of the exercises but doesn't feel sharp and I often think isn't under the cap. Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »
Will Run Again... nice job at the year mark. Again, I have not been on the site in months but am still trying to learn. It's hard not to be afraid to try new things but I'm gradually going out of my comfort zone. I'm just afraid it will "pop " but again, mental more than physical I think. When I do things that don't allow me to think about the knee, it's always better.

Offline Amanda P

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
BaddChad,

Came across your posts when researching cartiform and am hoping you reply.  I am also in Western PA and likely facing the same procedure.  I also have UPMC insurance.  I wanted to see who did your surgery and how you are doing this far into recovery.

Thanks!

Offline Fatalzt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 03:15:24 AM »
Hate to jump in the middle of a thread but I had patella cartiform done in June of this year, results so far have been amazing.

Offline PuneKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
@WillRunAgain

How much the entire thing costs if there is no insurance? I don't think this procedure is available here in India. Infact there are few hospital/doctors who do ACI

Offline Amanda P

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:14 PM »
To Fatalzt, did you have an osteotomy as well?  I have patella alta so I know I have to have my knee realigned as well.  How long were you NWB?  How long until you were getting through daily activities again?  I think thats the part I'm most worried about.  I'm not as worried about getting back to exercise....just being to walk normally again without the crazy catching and knee instability would be great!

Offline Baddchad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2017, 09:10:02 PM »
Hey guys.... wow, I'm terrible at checking this thread and probably should be signed up for some sort of notification. Amanda P - had my surgery at UPMC St. Margarets by Dr. James Bradley, Steelers team physician.  I am very sad to report that at the time of this post I have been having some significant difficulty.

I was almost back to "normal" in August of 2017 when the wheels just came off.  I did run once for about 2 minutes on Aug 1st and that went fine when I got my gate down. Then, about two weeks later I had a fairly heavy workout and did about 3 minutes and my knee got very aggravated and has never been the same since. 

I went back to Dr. Bradley in early September and had a cartridge sequencing MRI and he thinks the implant looks good and overall, the knee looks pretty good.  There seems to be wear on my cap in other places though.  I took some extensive time off and did the PRP injection sequence again (3 injections in 6 weeks) and the knee calmed down a lot but is still troubled.

I go back on November 7th for a follow up.  I am really nervous about what to do next.  They have a new procedure now and Cartiform isn't even offered anymore.  Dr. Bradley would actually put me on a list and I would get real human tissue from a cadaver.  They are possibly going to "take off" the back of my patella and put a new one on, like gluing two pieces of paper together.   I am not sure whether to have the surgery or not.  I am functional in my daily life without much pain but the only thing I can do is walk.  The other day I walked at 3MPH on a treadmill for like 20 minutes just to get moving and that went well.  The next day, I paid the price.  My knee is so sore and tight, it's unreal.  So, I feel like I'm stabilized but the atrophy is starting to show.  I have an 8 month old now and we are moving houses in 4 months and just don't know if I can endure the rehab again right now.  Also, at 42, which is not old, I am actually thinking a new knee might be a better option. 

Sorry to be a buzz kill on this thread but curious if anyone else has had setbacks?  I recently have begun workouts again and can do about 1/2 of what I did prior.  The issue is my cap will take almost zero load before it starts to flare up.  I will not push on like this in the long haul but am debating on the surgery now or waiting 6 months until circumstances improve.  I really would like to use the winter to have the surgery and recoup but the winter brings problems also. 

I will say that UPMC was great and I got ZERO bills for anything related for this surgery.  I was so pumped about feeling good again and I might have overdone it with my workouts and activity.  This is all so new, it's up in the air.  I will try to get back on this string to check in for advice and give any if I can. 

Offline Jamie1000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
willrunagain, thank you for sharing your life changing story. I'm trying to determine if I might be a good candidate for cartiform. I'm weighing my options, but for now, I'm in recovery from microfracturing (12 weeks so far).

After surgery, the doctor gave me a cane and said I didn't need PT until week 12. It's week 12 now and I won't ever be able to squat or run again without risking further damage, but I can now walk normally with pseudo tolerable pain, which I'll work with the PT to reduce.

If it doesn't progress or gets worse, I plan to look into cartiform.

Could you answer a few questions?
 - What specific injury did you have with your patella?
 - Do you see any pre-requisites in my injury that might hold me back from cartiform?

Mine knee issues are:
 - degenerative grade 4 in trochlea groove... down to subchondral bone (1 cm)
-  medial compartment of the knee shows significant lesion of the femor condyle (1 cm)
-  retropatellar area shows full thickness loss of articular cartilage (I assume grade 1/2, not sure)
-  posterior horn meniscal tear, trimmed back to stable base

Offline Amanda P

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »
BaddChad:

I had a suspicion(and really hoped actually), that you were seeing Dr Bradley.  That's also who I finally ended up seeing after taking a year and 3 other surgeons to figure out what was actually wrong.  He's the only doc in the area, in my opinion, that can handle the cartilage injuries.  If you know otherwise please let me know as I would definitely get a 5th opinion before making a decision. 

My story is, about a year after I had my daughter, I started more of a regimented exercise plan.  I did an exercise video to mix it up because the treadmill was getting boring, and about 36 hrs later, my left knee swelled up and started clicking, and hasn't been the same since.  I assume it was the exercise tape, but I suppose it could have been a combination of things; who really knows at this point.  The tape wasn't even overly strenuous.  I do have a long-standing history of problems with my knees (since about 12 years old).  I have patella alta and subluxation, though I've only fully dislocated the right knee in the past and only during intense sports or trauma.  As far as I know, the left knee hasn't really given me too many problems that I can remember, though I know I have the same issue in it.

I've had one series of Supartz (hyaluronic acid) in the left knee.  It definitely helped to keep the swelling down so I could try to build my legs up more, but I still have a feeling of instability in the knee, like it's going to dislocate.  The bike aggravates it.  Walking for long distances requires me to wear my Breg PTO brace that Dr Bradley gave me.  The knee brace helps, but also sometimes aggravates the knee and can make me bruise so its not ideal.

I was preparing to have the surgery this past June, and in May, found out I was pregnant again!  So obviously I've just been maintaining my comfort and mobility at this point i.e---not doing much at all, mostly strength training.  My right knee aches on and off now too when I tend to overcompensate too much.

In preparation for the surgery, I also had the cartilage mapping done.  In my various appts with Dr Bradley, I got a bunch of different scenarios as to what he would actually DO, which leaves me uneasy.  But I suppose he can't really know for sure until he gets in there.  He's said OATs, he's mentioned the Cartiform and also the cadaver knee cap.  Regardless, I know I will require an osteotomy to fix the alignment so I don't wear it out again (theoretically). 

SO....my plan is to have some kind of surgery this summer.  My daughter will be 3.5 yo and the baby like 5-6 months old.  Not an ideal situation, but my husband is a teacher and home all summer.  And we've already had two summers with me "down" and I'm done.  I'm so tired of taking a knee brace and biofreeze and ice everywhere with me.  Not to mention being concerned about steps (we are not friends at this point).

I will be interested to see what Dr Bradley says at your appt tomorrow and what you're plan is.  In my opinion, I'd wait until after you move.  We moved right before I found out I was pregnant and while I helped, I still wasn't able to help as much as pre-injury and wore my knee brace during the whole move.

I'm super frustrated with the whole thing, but it's nice to have found someone in a similar situation using the same doc.

Keep me posted!