Author Topic: Broken Patella, non displaced? No surgery...  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Jmselfemployed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken Patella, non displaced? No surgery...
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »
On March 31 2015 I was playing in a hockey game when a slapshot hit me in my shin pad right on the knee. My patella broke in half horizontally and my shinpad had no damage. I was given a knee immobilizer for one week until an appointment at the fracture clinic could be made. At the fracture appointment the doctor asked me to perform the straight leg test, which I did, and decided I only needed a cast and no surgery.
Now from my understanding surgery isn't usually performed unless the fracture is displaced a few mm or worse. I had a cast for 3 weeks, plus the one week in the immobilizer and today had it removed and re-xrayed. From looking at my X-rays today it appeared to me that there was no healing to this point and it looked even worse. The doctor responded by saying that since I can perform the straight leg test and nothing other than my patella was damaged that surgery would not be beneficial to me. He said bone takes time to heal and to have a cast on for another 3 weeks. I have attached my x-ray from 4 weeks ago today and I was just wondering if it looks like it should have been operated on or not.
I'm feeling pretty discouraged today, I am self employed with no coverage and my job and my bills depends on this recovery. I can't afford to sit around and waste 6-7 weeks so I am worried that if it hasn't healed in another 3 weeks I will be screwed and starting this all over. Waiting is brutal... Should I be considering a second opinion and surgery from this X-ray to speed up the process. I was led to believe that this doctor knew his stuff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:33:18 PM by Jmselfemployed »

Offline Brokenbiker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Broken Patella, non displaced? No surgery...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:18 AM »
Jmselfemployed,
Hey there, just saw this post and i know it is a bit old but was wondering how things worked out?  I have a very similar story and break.  I am three weeks in and just had my second dr appt.  My most current set of X-rays show no healing which is normal from what I gather.  I was told today that I wouldn't even be able to entertain the idea of PT for yet another 6 weeks (at three weeks in I thought I may be half way to PT).  It's a huge disappointment for me as I work on my feet and use my bike for transportation and sport (to the tune of 10k miles per year). Same exercise/test at the doc, the straight leg raise, and more time added to waiting to start rehab.  Any info about your recovery would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Advertisement

support