Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ANY SUCCESSFUL HTO'S - PLEASE CLICK HERE?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline artistgc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ANY SUCCESSFUL HTO'S - PLEASE CLICK HERE?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »
Hello, Would like to know if there is anyone with HTO SUCCESS,
2+ years? or even more?

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: ANY SUCCESSFUL HTO'S - PLEASE CLICK HERE?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
What are you defining as success?

I'm not an HTO, so can't help you totally...but I am a DFO and am 5 years out and I still consider mine to be a success.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »
I had an HTO in November 2011, and am impressed by the operation, however I have other knee issues so am not totally pain free. I have a number of friends who have had HTO's and they seem to be back to normal doing all the things they had put on hold before.

I have a post op diary if you fancy a read, link below

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

It is not a easy rehab however if you do your physio and understand what is needed then that helps

Offline UK86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I would also like to know the answer to OP's question should anyone happen to be reading that has had an osteotomy successful or otherwise.

I had a high tibial osteotomy just over 6 months ago and the results just aren't there for me.  The main change is my leg is straight now, pain is a bit less but I'm not really happy with the function or pain.  They told me I have to wait up to another year to see the final results...    honestly it is such a huge surgery I would say anyone considering getting a distal femoral osteotomy or high tibial osteotomy for valgus/varus knee to seriously consider the risks.  Once you have had surgery you knee will never be normal again, it is a huge surgery with long recovery time and even if the surgery is perfect from a medical/technical perspective there is not even a guarantee it will improve your function day to day.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:11:24 PM by UK86 »
Nov 2015 - HTO & Lateral Release

Offline kneeyorkshirelass

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
I'm a success ! Had OWHTO 2006 ! Right knee.

Offline UK86

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »
I'm a success ! Had OWHTO 2006 ! Right knee.
So what was your knee like before and after? 
Nov 2015 - HTO & Lateral Release

Offline Code girl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »
Hi , I had a hto over three years ago now and unfortunately had plate  removal as well but pain seems to be more severe then at the beginning knee constantly gives way and I'm on two crutches and can only manage short distances ...anyone have similar experience ... Also getting pain in my lateral side now .. 😟

Offline neptronix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
    • neptronix.org
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
Wow, this is a really sparse thread... quite sad to see so few successes.

Offline Spitiemk4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • 2 scopes, 3 steroid injections, HTO + microfract
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »
I had an injury to my right knee in a car accident.

I had a pretty awful two years leading up to an HTO + micro fracture. The op was a major life event, the pain and recovery was really grim.

However given that I was effectively disabled by my injury and was in severe constant pain even with max prescription painkillers prior to the operation I feel it was worth it.
I found post op physio exercises important, I didnít let pain hold me back, I went with no pain no gain. Get the range of movement back and especially in my case regain the muscle tone - you lose so much on two crutches for two years.
I have had to push myself and I am not pain free, but itís a different pain. I am still taking prescription painkillers but they now manage the pain whereas prior to the op they reduced it from excruciating to hideous.
I am not anywhere near where I was prior to the accident, I accept that mostly, i recognise I never will be. So I compare now with the two years post accident/pre op and the results are fantastic.
I can walk unaided, I cycle, I swim. Stairs can be tackled fairly normally. But all with care and varying levels of non debilitating pain.
Without painkillers i am a wreck!
I get a lot of pain and inflammation from the metal work so am scheduled for a removal op, in fact it should have been today, but I have put it off until autumn. I think of the metal work in terms of a splinter, imagine if you had a splinter in your finger, it would be inflamed and tender, now imagine you have 8 x 6mm screws and a 200mm long plate in your leg that muscles slide over.
So I view the op as a success compared to post injury, but I  accept that once someone takes a knife, saw, chisel and drill to your leg it would be unrealistic to expect to get back to pre injury, however I am no longer disabled by the injury but my life and abilities have changed/reduced.
My pain is now manageable and I can function at a reduced level and look to find ways to do things differently to achieve similar results for example I can cycle instead of walk and take plenty of rest stops to admire the scenery.