Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee still hurts 6 months after meniscectomy  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Teferi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee still hurts 6 months after meniscectomy
« on: February 10, 2004, 05:51:11 AM »
I had left knee arthroscopic surgery for menisco-capsular seperation of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus on Aug. 19, 2003. My left knee bothers me every day. Walking stairs is not the same and if a wake up and it feels like nothing is wrong with it that day after being on it I start to feel it. Sitting down to long is irritating and standing to long is also. This is after almost 6 months of rehab. I went to the doctor today for a post op visit and he tells me it may always bother me now, wear a sleeve on it and pop anti inflammatories. It bothers me more now than it did before the operation. I'm  37 6'0" 165 lbs. so I have no access weight. All of this because I got hit from behind sitting at a stop sign. A little bump on the fender and a bum knee for life.        

Offline Teferi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Knee still hurts 6 months after meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 05:51:11 AM »
I had left knee arthroscopic surgery for menisco-capsular seperation of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus on Aug. 19, 2003. My left knee bothers me every day. Walking stairs is not the same and if a wake up and it feels like nothing is wrong with it that day after being on it I start to feel it. Sitting down to long is irritating and standing to long is also. This is after almost 6 months of rehab. I went to the doctor today for a post op visit and he tells me it may always bother me now, wear a sleeve on it and pop anti inflammatories. It bothers me more now than it did before the operation. I'm  37 6'0" 165 lbs. so I have no access weight. All of this because I got hit from behind sitting at a stop sign. A little bump on the fender and a bum knee for life.        

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
Re: Knee still hurts 6 months after meniscectomy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to  hear that you are still having problems.  Did you go for Physical therapy after your surgery.  Stairs are very hard on your knees.  Going down stairs takes more muscle control than going up.  It sounds like you are suffering from muscle fatigue.  (although I am no doctor).  You might want to talk to your OS about doing PT.  It will probably help out quite a bit.  It is amazing how much muscle strength is lost from one surgery.  By doing pt and strengthing your quad muscles, it will help alleviate the wear and tear on the knee joint.

Good luck and hopefully this will be the only knee surgery you will have to face.

Ellen
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to  hear that you are still having problems.  Did you go for Physical therapy after your surgery.  Stairs are very hard on your knees.  Going down stairs takes more muscle control than going up.  It sounds like you are suffering from muscle fatigue.  (although I am no doctor).  You might want to talk to your OS about doing PT.  It will probably help out quite a bit.  It is amazing how much muscle strength is lost from one surgery.  By doing pt and strengthing your quad muscles, it will help alleviate the wear and tear on the knee joint.

Good luck and hopefully this will be the only knee surgery you will have to face.

Ellen
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:44:28 PM »
Hi:  I can understand how you feel as I had a similar procedure also in August and am experiencing the same symptoms as you plus a few extras.  I wish I could give you some advise but I can't.  I have seen a second OS as my original one told me my problems were caused by weak quads and to exercise.  The second OS said (based on a second MRI) my problems are being caused by scar tissue from the original procedure and he could go in to clean it out.  I told him I am not ready for that as from what I understand this can lead to more scare tissue being formed.  NO WAY!!!  will I consider this now.  I guess I will have to just learn to live with the discomfort etc.  Just know that you are not alone. and possibly exp.
Complex Lateral Meniscus Tear, Large Media Plica and Medial Degeneration at the undersurface of the Patella debrided, softening  of the femoral condyle with Grade II degeneration ... debrided

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:44:28 PM »
Hi:  I can understand how you feel as I had a similar procedure also in August and am experiencing the same symptoms as you plus a few extras.  I wish I could give you some advise but I can't.  I have seen a second OS as my original one told me my problems were caused by weak quads and to exercise.  The second OS said (based on a second MRI) my problems are being caused by scar tissue from the original procedure and he could go in to clean it out.  I told him I am not ready for that as from what I understand this can lead to more scare tissue being formed.  NO WAY!!!  will I consider this now.  I guess I will have to just learn to live with the discomfort etc.  Just know that you are not alone. and possibly exp.
Complex Lateral Meniscus Tear, Large Media Plica and Medial Degeneration at the undersurface of the Patella debrided, softening  of the femoral condyle with Grade II degeneration ... debrided