Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tilt / Chondromalacia physiotherapy  (Read 813 times)

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tilt / Chondromalacia physiotherapy
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
I have been diagnosed with chondromalacia and my MRI results reveal a lateral tilt on the patella. My orthopedist prescribed a physical therapy program with ultrasound, TENS therapy and a few set of exercises. Today was the 3rd day on the therapy and every day I have more pain on my knees. I complained about that to my doctor but she said I should continue with the program. However I read on the internet that first you have to control the pain and inflammation then start exercises. I never trust the knowledge of the doctors in my country. If you have the same problem, please tell me about your treatment. Did you also have pain in the beggining? Did you continue exercises through the pain? And what about that ultrasound and TENS therapy. Do they help at all?

Offline kkendall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patellar tilt / Chondromalacia physiotherapy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »
I got in a ski accident in january and was immediately in PT for a fractured tibia and fibula. It wasn't until I got a follow-up MRI that we saw I had a tilted patella (explained why my pain never went away as the fracture healed). We did a month of mcdonnell taping and PT, but the pain just got worse. I wasn't even sure how ultrasound and ESTIM worked, as I just hurt all the time. I ended up having a lateral release a week ago, which is apparently recommended to correct a patellar tilt. Not sure the success yet (i'm still hobbling around :P) but considering it was the only option after PT failed, I decided to go for it.

Offline Lanterne Rouge

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
I got in a ski accident in january and was immediately in PT for a fractured tibia and fibula. It wasn't until I got a follow-up MRI that we saw I had a tilted patella (explained why my pain never went away as the fracture healed). We did a month of mcdonnell taping and PT, but the pain just got worse. I wasn't even sure how ultrasound and ESTIM worked, as I just hurt all the time. I ended up having a lateral release a week ago, which is apparently recommended to correct a patellar tilt. Not sure the success yet (i'm still hobbling around :P) but considering it was the only option after PT failed, I decided to go for it.

Sorry to hear that. I hope that it works for you. My pain has been in a downtrend since I posted this thread. I don't know if the exercises or ultrasound or TENS has helped. Maybe the combination of all. After few days ultrasound and TENS will be out of equation anyway. I will continue exercises but I can understand that once the patella is tilted it is really hard to get it back to its original place. I haven't heard of any success stories so far.

Offline Chrisse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:43:32 AM »

Sorry to hear that. I hope that it works for you. My pain has been in a downtrend since I posted this thread. I don't know if the exercises or ultrasound or TENS has helped. Maybe the combination of all. After few days ultrasound and TENS will be out of equation anyway. I will continue exercises but I can understand that once the patella is tilted it is really hard to get it back to its original place. I haven't heard of any success stories so far.

Hey there been a looong time since u made this thread just curious how your knee is doing today, did that tilting fade away over time and rehab?

Cheers!

support