Author Topic: bad experience with PRP doctor in NoVA near DC  (Read 4091 times)

Offline DakotaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
bad experience with PRP doctor in NoVA near DC
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
Looking for a PRP and similar injection doctor around DC?  I would suggest avoiding Dr. W*, rhymes with "anger", in NoVA.  I had a PRP injection about a year ago from him.  In the initial consultation meeting he explained that the injections would be done with ultrasound imaging guidance, but when it came time to do the injection he simply asked me where it hurt and began jabbing the area with a needle, no imaging of any kind; he made some comment to the attending nurse about how the patient knows where the problem really is.  He also used a needle scraping technique which he didn't explain or gain consent for ahead of time, instead he described what he was doing while doing the technique.

Anyway, I personally don't trust him after this experience, but he is now an official Regnexx provider, which may restrict such poor behavior.  However, there are other doctors in the area that do similar injections so there is probably no reason to risk it with him.

Offline Ivy973

• Regular Poster
Re: bad experience with PRP doctor in NoVA near DC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the warning - its always helpful to know about firsthand experiences.

Have you tried the Kaplan Center in Virginia...? They have a pretty good reputation:  http://www.kaplanclinic.com/
Pain onset: 2008
Pain areas: bilateral hips, knees, ankles, toes
Regenerative therapies: prolo, PRP, stem cells

Offline DakotaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »

Have you tried the Kaplan Center in Virginia...? They have a pretty good reputation:  http://www.kaplanclinic.com/

Sort of, I'm seeing Dr. Lillienfield there right now, but not for PRP.  It seems to me they've had a lot of turnover in the PRP deptament in the past year.  There used to be a Dr. Ericksen (sp?) that did PRP but is no longer with the practice.  I think they now have 1 or 2 new doctors that do PRP.

Frankly, I've been following Regenexx quite closely lately and I'm impressed with their methods and their attempt to discern patterns from the register data.  If I try any more injections procedures, I'll likely put them at the top of my consideration list; just not with the doctor stated above.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
I think the situation you are describing is of a multiple PRP injection points into the affected tendons around the knee? Or was it really inside the joint?

If he was trying to heal tendons then that would be a normal procedure, however it should have been explained in advance so you would be mentally prepared for it. I would have been seriously pissed if someone did that to me without a warning or consent, even though the intent behind it is perfectly valid.

Offline DakotaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
I think the situation you are describing is of a multiple PRP injection points into the affected tendons around the knee? Or was it really inside the joint?

He actually did both in the joint and some of the tendons around the knee.

If he was trying to heal tendons then that would be a normal procedure, however it should have been explained in advance so you would be mentally prepared for it. I would have been seriously pissed if someone did that to me without a warning or consent, even though the intent behind it is perfectly valid.

That is my biggest complaint with this doctor, his pre-procedure explanations didn't match his actions.

Offline Ivy973

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »

Frankly, I've been following Regenexx quite closely lately and I'm impressed with their methods and their attempt to discern patterns from the register data.  If I try any more injections procedures, I'll likely put them at the top of my consideration list; just not with the doctor stated above.
[/quote]

In your opinion, do you think other Regenexx trained doctors will generally be as stellar as the Colorado team?
Pain onset: 2008
Pain areas: bilateral hips, knees, ankles, toes
Regenerative therapies: prolo, PRP, stem cells

Offline DakotaD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »

In your opinion, do you think other Regenexx trained doctors will generally be as stellar as the Colorado team?

I would guess that the Colorado team would on average be of a higher caliber than most Regenexx certified doctors, but I've only ever seen one Regenexx doctor, so this is pure conjecture.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:27:49 AM »
What difference would you expect? The major difference between stem cell doctors (Regenexx or not) who use only bone marrow stem cells (with no other parallel stuff), is the centrifugate system they use and the concentration/purity it is capable of achieving. As far as I know all Regenexx doctors use the same one.

Other than this is how they inject it, with image guidance or not.

Anything past these 2 factors is pure mysticism or advertizing.

Most of the benefit you can achieve from a SINGLE bone marrow stem cells injection, is a powerful anti-inflammatory which may translate in symptomatic relief, since they don't use any other therapeutic element, only very mild cartilage reconstruction can be expected.

Offline mia2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 05:08:52 AM »
Looking for a PRP and similar injection doctor around DC?  I would suggest avoiding Dr. W*, rhymes with "anger", in NoVA.  I had a PRP injection about a year ago from him.  In the initial consultation meeting he explained that the injections would be done with ultrasound imaging guidance, but when it came time to do the injection he simply asked me where it hurt and began jabbing the area with a needle, no imaging of any kind; he made some comment to the attending nurse about how the patient knows where the problem really is.  He also used a needle scraping technique which he didn't explain or gain consent for ahead of time, instead he described what he was doing while doing the technique.

Anyway, I personally don't trust him after this experience, but he is now an official Regnexx provider, which may restrict such poor behavior.  However, there are other doctors in the area that do similar injections so there is probably no reason to risk it with him.
  You are referring to Robert Wagner from National Pain and Spine at Tysons Corner?

Advertisement