Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Meniscus Tear with Meniscal Cyst  (Read 1187 times)

Offline sbp003

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Meniscus Tear with Meniscal Cyst
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
Hello. I'm 32 year old male;  very active runner and play soccer religiously. I don't remember having any trauma while playing soccer that caused my injury, but consistent knee pain led me to believe something was not right. An MRI revealed a minor lateral meniscus tear with a 16mm meniscal cyst along the joint line. My OS advised to give it 6 months of rest to see if cyst/ symptoms would go away since the meniscus tear was minor as seen on MRI.

Fast forward 6 months;  although pain is very much bearable without any running - i am unable to run at 100% speed without pain. Symptoms worsened when I would pivot my knee inwards or outwards. I started to also notice a semi hard bump on the lateral side over joint line with on touch.

After consultation;  it was decided to undergo arthroscopic surgery as I wanted to return to soccer as fast as possible. The meniscus tear was addressed during surgery, however my OS thought it was best to leave the the cyst as is and not have to do a large lateral incision on the outer side of the knee that would involve longer recovery.

After surgery, I was walking and jogging within a month and rehab was going great. Right at 1.5 months the exact same symptoms returned. My OS then advised to try get the knee aspirated via ultrasound guided injection and steroid injection at the site. The cyst was punctured as soon as the needle hit the cyst. Initially for 2 weeks - knee felt great, no pain and no bump.  I continued to rest the knee for another 2 weeks and doctor advised to slowly start increasing the tempo. Its now 1.5 months after the injection and increased activity - however my symptoms are slowly starting to return. I'm certain the cyst is the culprit again.

I'm increasingly becoming frustrated and still unsure about the root cause; has anyone had similar experiences regarding meniscal cysts?  If yes, please share.

Thanks.

Offline awheeler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lateral Meniscus Tear with Meniscal Cyst
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »
I have a similar situation.  What ever happened to your knee.  I see this has been a few years ago...