Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Back Running !!!  (Read 1130 times)

Offline trimike42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Back Running !!!
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:05:41 AM »
Hi

I smashed my kneecap into about 8 pieces on November 1st 2011. Like all you guys i had to endure the painfull recovery process that came after the accident (bike accident) I had my hardware removed nearly a year to the date of the accident. Anyway, to cut a long story short i persevered with my training (running, cycling, weights) and in April this year i ran a marathon(slowly) and on the 2 June i ran the Kep ultra 100km, took me 14 hours but i finished within the cut off time. The knee held up well, no swelling or pain.  This was 18 months after my accident. I'm no spring chicken either, i'm 57 today. If i can do it anyone can.

The knee is not and never will be the same as my old knee but there is light at the end of the tunnel for us all if you persevere with your recovery process.

Mike

Offline Hobbs

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Back Running !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »
Excellent news, Mike! Glad to hear that you made it back onto the trails.
My fracture was in October 2010 and I feel that I  am also not held back by my knee anymore. I have not gone back to marathon training but that was more due to the fact that we were riding the "infertility rollercoaster"for the last couple of years. I am keen to try and see if I can go back to some more serious running next year or so. Right now I am just plodding along on 5 to 15 km runs.

Keep up the good work!
Oct.  7, 2010: comminuted patella fx.
Oct. 11, 2010: ORIF w/ 3 pins and wire; FWB
Oct. 21, 2010: 1st check-up: walk w/o crutches @ home
Oct. 31, 2010: walk w/o leg brace
Nov. 11, 2010: walk pain-free, no limp
Nov. 18, 2010: 2nd check:  105 ROM; start cycling
June 20, 2011: HW removed

Offline trimike42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks Hobbs, not seen any recent posts from you for a while i guessed you were recovering well after your accident. It was your posts that inspired me to push myself. I remember you saying how aggresive your doctor was with your recovery treatment in the early stages of your patella fracture. Your posts gave my hope when i was at an all time low, thank you.

Hopefully you will get back into some serious stuff in the near future, i know you are a triathlete and like me have done a ironman. I've no doubt you will do another one. Good luck with your fertility treatment.

Mike

Offline DCguywithTPF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Wow, I can imagine running again.  My TPF was January 25, 2012 from a motorcycle accident at about 25 mph in the city when a car turned in front of me.  I had the ex fix put on the next day, and they sent me home  about 8-10 days later.  I was back about 2 1/2 weeks later to remove the ex fix and install hardware, that took two more surgeries a few days apart (70 stitches later).  I also hard horrifying fracture blisters (both types).  I was started PT March 12, 2012, then finally FWB on May 16, 2012 with the PT ending August 1, 2012.  A month or so after the PT ended I got really red and had some problems with knee pain.  Had surgery on December 18, 2012 to remove my hardware (55 staples)  I hate staples now.  I have a bag of 3 plates and 16 screws they took out.  I also had a shaft fracture of the tibia, 1 plate and 3 screws are permanent as they are in the middle of the tibia.  Well after they removed this hardware, this yellow stuff didn't stop, so surgery again on January 25, 2013 to take care of infection (stitches this time, 20 something).  Luckily no bone infection, just skin.  Doing much better now, but Friday after dinner I had a rough time walking 2 blocks to the car.  When arriving home, no problem walking to the house and up the stairs.  Go figure.  This injury has not been easy.  I too am told a TKR is down the road too, but being only 47 they want me to wait as well.

Offline wahootri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »
Excellent news, Mike! Glad to hear that you made it back onto the trails.
My fracture was in October 2010 and I feel that I  am also not held back by my knee anymore. I have not gone back to marathon training but that was more due to the fact that we were riding the "infertility rollercoaster"for the last couple of years. I am keen to try and see if I can go back to some more serious running next year or so. Right now I am just plodding along on 5 to 15 km runs.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Hobbs and Mike, I know it's been a long time since your injuries - I'd love to hear from you if you're still on this forum, I've read through all your posts and they have been immensely helpful and inspiring. I shattered my patella skiing 11 months ago (it was in about 10 pieces - doc said I "annihilated it"), I got the hardware removed about 3 months ago and have been progressing well, but I'm still not where I'd like to be. I was a serious skier, runner, cyclist, triathlete (Hobbs I even saw your old posts on slowtwitch), etc before, and I really want to get back to where I was - I'm only 28! This injury came right after a great season with a half ironman PR, crazy how things can change in an instant, what a year it's been. I'm close to where I was cycling wise, thanks to tons of time spent on my bike trainer and lots of hard work, but no where near where I'd like to be running (running is not pain free). Hearing your stories gives me the hope that I can get back.
How are you doing now that it's been many years since the injury?
I hope you are both doing well and kicking butt, and thanks for your contributions to the forum!
Any others out there feel free to share any success stories about returning to running/triathlon/skiing etc
Many thanks