Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Charles Gibbons OR Dr Nicola Maffuli  (Read 360 times)

Offline Bellespell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dr Charles Gibbons OR Dr Nicola Maffuli
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I need your help please. I had an accident on the 30th March, below is my story so far:

30th March: Accident happened
1st April: Flew home, went straight to A&E at Chelsea & Westminster who told me that I had no ligament damage and refered me to physio
2nd April: Went to see my GP who examined me and said she was referring me to have an MRI scan as she believed
9th April: MRI scan right knee, the findings are below:

The medial and lateral menisci are intact.

The anterior cruciate ligament is ill-defined and there is anterior translation of the tibia on the femur consistent with a partial if not complete rupture. The posterior cruciate ligament in intact.

Intact lateral and medial collateral ligaments.

The quadriceps and patellar tendons appear normal.

The is bone marrow oedema in the posterolateral tibial plateau and to a lesser extent in the peripheral aspects of the femoral condyles consistent with a pivot shift pattern of injury moderate joint effusion. There is some loss of the retropatellar cartilage.

Conclusion: partial if not complete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament

Recommendation: orthopaedic referral

So, it's been 27 days since my accident and I'm due to see both Dr Gibbons and Dr Maffuli on the 8th and 9th May. My questiona are:

1. Has anyone had an ACL reconstruction by either doctor and what was your experience?
2. What physio would you recommend before the op. I've been doing some, but not enough I don't think
3. I'm going on holiday from the 27th April - 7th May, should I swim?
4. Do you think it's worth investing in a Aircast Knee Cryo/Cuff with Cooler, or just stick to peas?
5. Should I wear my leg brace at all times unless doing the exercises?
6. I've read a lot about people being unable to straighten their leg properly. Whilst sitting at my laptop working I've been resting my foot on another chair and letting my knee straighten...good or bad??

Anything else you might think useful?

Many, many thanks in advance  :D

Katie

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
Re: Dr Charles Gibbons OR Dr Nicola Maffuli
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
Hi Bellespell,

Bummer about your injury, but it looks like you will be getting it sorted out soon ;).

You asked some good questions, but since I haven't had an acl injury I could not answer per experience, however, a few things make sense:

1.  ?
2.  Keeping leg strength (muscle) is important as atrophy is common (and will happen to some extent).  But be careful you don't over use and injury further.
3.  I would say to be extremely careful in everything you do, including swimming.  Be aware you have an injury that could cause further damage (thus making life further down the road more difficult).  Just be wise and cautious in all you do (including walking to much, etc).
4.  Cryo coolers rock!!! (personal experience ;)) Sure beat any frozen food section, imho.
5.  I would use a leg brace always...even if it is just the psychological buffer in reminding you that you have an injury that needs protecting.
6.  ?

Good luck and keep us posted!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

support