Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Long Can Sickness Last w/General Anesthesia?  (Read 10709 times)

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
How Long Can Sickness Last w/General Anesthesia?
« on: January 12, 2004, 02:53:49 PM »
Hi,

Anyone know how long nauseousness can last after surgery? What are your experiences? How long till you feel normal again? I am 6 days post op and still not shakin it.

Thanks

Christina
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline bonalallies

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: How Long Can Sickness Last w/General Anesthesi
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 03:03:41 PM »
Are you eating properly? Make sure you keep your stomach busy - a little high carb snack (eg Ryvita) every couple of hours should help.
Good luck
BL
Repaired torn medial meniscus Jan 2004
Chondromalacia Grade III both knees

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 03:53:47 PM »
I would think 6 days is getting a little long. Could it be general maliase from the surgery or possibly even pain medications making you feel under the weather? If you call your doc they can call you in a RX for something will help take away the queaziness. Good luck and keep us posted.

Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 04:59:58 PM »
I've never gotten nauseous but I have felt sluggish for as long as a month after surgery. Plus, as someone said, pain meds can also cause nausea, constipation and a host of other things. Just drink lots of fluids and eat healthy foods. Gatorade helps me a lot after surgery.

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:05:10 PM »
I think you all are right it is probably a combination of the anesthesia and the many meds they gave me while in the hospital (morphine,antibiotics, toradol,vicodin and 4 different nasea medications). It has been an on and off kinda thing. The day after my surgery (open fat pad removed and lateral release) I was sick all day and nothing they gave me helped. The next day I was fine enough to eat and went home. The next morning I woke up sick and with chest pressure and again sick all day long. I was able to eat something late that night. Saturday I was fine ( stomach still sensitive) and Sunday was a horrible day.

Today has been better. I have been able to eat some toast but I cannot take anything for the pain. :( I do have meds for nausea, they just did not work when I took them yesterday. I just wonder how long it will take to flush everything out.

Christina :(
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 10:53:05 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that you are having all these difficulties on top of trying to just get your knee back in order. It must be so hard right now.  :(

I did want to share my own personal experience with meds recently.  I have been diagnosed with a severe case of strep throat/tonsillitis....I know I know, unrelated! I had 3 ER visits within 2.5 days because I couldn't swallow, my gland (only the right one) was enormous and the pain was worse than ANY of my knee surgeries!! Through an IV I was given Morphine for pain, an antibiotic, fluids, phenegran for nausea and a steroid similar to prednisone for inflammation. I had this series done Friday evening, I am still feeling the effects and its Monday. I am hugely bloated, weighing in about 10 more pounds than Thursday (130 from 120) and I haven't been able to swallow food so go figure. I am still exhausted and nausious though I have a handle on the strep now. I know it's the IV meds and the RX meds I was given and have to finish out even though I am feeling better.

My point is I think it's the individual's ability to metabolize and dispose of these medicines that will determine the length of time you are affected. You also have to keep in mind that your body is trying to focus on the traumatized joint and it's repair so this may be hindering your ability to get rid of all the other stuff. If you aren't able to handle a bigger meal within another day or two I would call your OS and discuss this with him/her. Your body needs nutrients and energy right now to aide in healing. Please keep us posted on how you fair. You'll be in my thoughts.

Take care,
Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 11:28:12 PM »
Christina,

Have you tried cutting your pain meds in halves or even quarters?  Maybe they are too strong?  If you aren't eating anything, then you won't be able to take the pain meds, so it's important to get down some crackers or toast, soup, something.  If you can't keep the pain under control, then your run the risk of 'protecting' the knee (i.e. not doing your ROM exercises) and then you can face the scar tissue demon all over again.  Hopefully, you're able to do some stuff (heel pumps and gently quad sets) to keep things moving--what about your CPM?  Actually, I thought they were going to keep you in the hospital for 5 or 6 days to prevent all these kinds of problems and do pain control....?

Take care, and definitely let your doctor know what's going on.  It could be that your throat is irritated from the breathing tube they put in during the general, or you may have a totally unrelated case of the flu!  There are lots of possibilities, but now is the time to get things under control.  I really hope you feel better soon.

Heather

PS Pain can also make you very nauseous....toradol is also a stomach killer--it made me really, really queasy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 11:29:15 PM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 04:37:16 AM »
Heather and Heather M,

Thank you for your posts. I'm feeling better. I dont seem to be nauseous. I ve been able to eat 3 pieces of toast and some chicken soup with crackers today. I have taken tylenol twice because I still dont trust my stomach with Motrin yet. I made myself do the CPM for 5 hours today. I got all the way past 110. So I just figure I will do that until things settle down.

Yes, I was supposed to stay in the hospital but the doctor asked my if I wanted to go home. I thought they weren't doing anything for me that I could not do at home. Plus, I knew I would be at least be able to get better sleep there. Like I said I had a bout with really bad nausea while I was there and nothing they gave me helped. So, I am glad I am home.

Thanks so much for your support and Thoughts ;)

Christina

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 03:39:51 PM »
Well, when I had knee surgery I was under anaesthetic for ~an hour and I was ill for at least 3 days afterwards: On the friday (surgery was on the Wednesday) I had a fainting spell...

Recently had more major surgery, spent four and bit hours in theatre and ten days in hospital. I felt yucky for WEEKS afterwards. Dizzy, slightly detached. I'm still exhausted the whole time and it's been nine weeks since I was discharged now.

Just take it easy and be molly-coddled for a bit...

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 03:48:53 PM »
Oh yeah, and the antibiotics will kill off your intestinal flora, so your digestion will be a bit screwy for a while. That'll make you feel a bit queasy.  Try and have some Actimel or something to refill it. And avoid medication containing codine (if possible, or at least taper them off as soon as possible) as that affects digestion; anti-inflamatories like ibuprofen are better in that respect.

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
Day 7 Post Op
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 04:59:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am feeling better. I was able to eat a bowl of malto meal and take a motrin. So, I am happy about that. ;D I did manage to do some heel slides last night and my knee is mad at me this morning. Lots of pain I have to walk on crutches. I am not looking forward to the cpm machine today but will push myself to do it anyway. The Pt exercises seem to really irritate and cause pain afterwards right now.

Christina

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »
Hey !

I'm happy that you feel better. I've had pretty long problems after anasthaesia when I was younger with dizzy in head feeling like throwing up weeks after surgery. For me they explained that the anasthaesia gave me problems with my bloodsugar. That could be the thing. Wish you good ROM !!

hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline sandra

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 12:26:40 AM »
I had some pretty serious nausea the day of my surgery and couldn't keep anything down, not even water!   :o  The day after I started with some tea and graham crackers and by the end of the day was eating fairly normally.  I still feel pretty tired and sluggish, but at least my stomach's okay.  I envy those folks who don't feel bad after general!  
1/04 left knee lateral release and debridement; grade 2-3 chondromalacia
7/05 left knee synvisc treatment
3/06 left knee debridement