Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone undergone Dr Saw Khay Yong's Subchondral Drilling+PBPC+HA procedure?  (Read 10908 times)

Offline Bardlas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Vlad,

I have read your posts and hope you are recovering well! I am in a similar situation (have posted my story in some earlier threads) with my medial meniscus and in the process of making the right decision for myself. I am curious what Dr. Broyles is doing with your meniscus? If nothing is placed would not it negate the whole purpose of regenerating cartilage.

Get well soon and keep us posted.

Bardlas.

Offline Vlad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
I posted the whole story (pre and post op) on this thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=67675.0
Please ask there, as to not hijack this thread which is about Dr Saw.
10/2016 - meniscus tear, mild arthritis right knee

Offline Mayou

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Healingup, I am going to answer you here as I am still not allowed to send emails. It took me about 1.5 years before I could do stairs painfree again. 10 months post-op I could do more than you from what I read, but I guess that differs from person to person. Take care

Offline MaximuZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hello everyone, my operation at KLSMC was 15 months ago - lateral side grade 4 kissing lesions, medial plica exision, a bit of drilling on medial trochlea, osteophyte removal and lateral release.
I'm still in the process of recovery, no pain or discomfort after drilling, ROM is -3 and 140. The biggest problem for me is lateral release, i still feel like kneecap is in wrong place and have maltracking problems. I was unable to walk with normal gait for year - had locking there during bending after full extension. And still lateral release site is tight and pulls kneecap down and laterally, now i am able to do elliptical, trademill without limping, but still kneecap tightens up after activities, it is no more tilted but sits more lateral on operated leg after LR than on healthy one and i doubt it will be back to normal position. Also i feel my pelvic and hip stucks in external rotation and painful areas there - i beleive it is direct result of changed knee biomechanics after LR. Cartilage is growing - full thickness on Femur at 10 months and partial on tibia and trochlea. Now can walk small distances up to 1km, but it is still feels weird, also can do upstairs almost normally, downstairs are still not easy but no pain at all. Muscles are getting stronger and stronger cause i do lots of physio at home and in gym : different bed exercices including core and back ones, lots of stretches for lower body, balances on 1 leg, wobble board, loading exercices, bycycle, elliptical, trademill, gonna start walking with nordic sticks in 1-2 months. Situation is improving but very slowly, first year was brutal but not painful, maybe just wrong expectations.
              Mayou, i read all your posts, could you tell some more about your expirience ? When did you stop to ice your knee ? Did you have LR ? What is your activity level now in common life and maybe some sports ? How does your knee react after different activities, do you need to protect it or just feels more like normal ? Thank you in advance )

Offline Mayou

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I don't think I had LR done (at least I can't remember). I don't remember when I stopped icing my knee (it's been 5 years...). I still ice it after strenuous activities like skiing, which I can do again since 3 years. I ski 1-2 day and then I ice it and rest my knee 1 day. I did tear my lateral meniscus again during a fall on the street a couple of months ago, so that needs to be repaired or -hopefully- taken out, because it's quite annoying and sometimes painful, but other than that my knee is in good shape and I can do pretty much everything I want to do (albeit moderately!).

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Thanks a lot for info. I have problem with knee caps, How much is this surgery price? How much many I need to spend for both knees? That surgery is very expensive?

Offline PuneKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks a lot for info. I have problem with knee caps, How much is this surgery price? How much many I need to spend for both knees? That surgery is very expensive?

I read from a 5 year old post that i costs $22000 including procedure + 3-4 stay. Not sure about price now.

Offline RGB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Probably worth repeating my post from another thread:

"I am a 55 year old male, used to a very high level of activity. I am a former ski instructor, rock climber, windsurfer etc, until my knee gave me trouble. This is the story:

1.  In 1993 I had an ACL repair (patella tendon graft). That was successful and I was very active on the knee for the next 17 years.
2.  In 2010 I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus and a full thickness cartilage lesion in the trochlea. I underwent a partial meniscotomy plus microfracture. Very little guidance on rehab was provided by the surgeon and physio. The outcome was poor.
3.  In 2011, I had an debridement. Photos showed there was a reasonable amount of fibrocartilage in the trochlea lesion but there was a new lesion on the central patella. The debridement made the knee smoother but it was still not up to much activity. I had numerous PRP injections over the next year or so.
4.  In 2012 I had a liposuction derived/concentrated stem cell injection. This had no discernible effect.
5.  In 2013 I was unwise enough to go on a 4 hour steep hike. I knew I couldn't/shouldn't but I was past caring. The knee swelled and a subsequent MRI revealed I'd torn off another piece of cartilage from the trochlea.
6. In 2014 I underwent Dr Saw's stem cell treatment in KL. He's very professional and I had the best of care. I followed the rehab protocol to the letter and, believe me, that's not easy to do for 2 years. The bottom line is that it didn't work for me. The knee ended up with a very impressive level of crepitus and a poor tolerance to activity - perhaps slightly better than before but not significantly. I could do about one flight of stairs per day and I could cycle on the flat for about an hour, or row for about 30 minutes, every second day.
7. In March of this year, I had a patellofemoral replacement (Zimmer). It's early days but it's fantastic. A smooth knee, able to tolerate activity at a level that's been unthinkable for 7-8 years and it's still improving rapidly. My knee will shortly cease to be the centre of my physical universe because I will stop thinking about it all the time. I'll probably stop browsing these discussion pages! Yay. I may well need a full replacement in 10-15 years but that's OK by me. I'll get a high level of activity in the meantime and, to be honest, the recovery from the partial replacement has been easy and pain free."

Update on the patellofemoral replacement. It's doing well. I'm gradually strengthening the joint and it remains smooth and pain free. I went on a 4 hour reasonably hard hike a few days ago with no ill effects. Cycling is good - I can cycle 50-100km per ride comfortably with moderate hills.

Finally, a comment on the costs. I won't comment on the medical costs - I'm sure they vary but you have to factor in getting to KL and back (possibly business class for the return as your knee will be pretty stiff), accommodation, food and transport for the 6 weeks you'll be there iniitally, then return 10 day trips every 6 months for the booster shots.