Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kinesio Taping for Rehab after surgery.  (Read 4371 times)

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kinesio Taping for Rehab after surgery.
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »
Hi kneegeeks,

ive just had my PCL, ACL and MCL reconstructed over 2 weeks ago. prior to which, ive been using a lot of Kinesio Tape for support as well as to reduce swelling. but now that i've just been out of the surgery, i was wondering if there is anyone using the Kinesio Tape for post op.

if so, how early are/were you using it since the surgery? i could probably use some sharing here. thanks.

=)
9th Feb 12 - Motorbike Accident
21st Aug 12 - ACL, PCL recon (allografts)
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Kinesio Taping for Rehab after surgery.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:16:40 AM »
Hi there,

After my last PKR I had really nasty bruising and swelling that just wouldn't improve in one large area.  My PT applied kineseotape to the worst part of the bruising and swelling-three days on, one off and it really did the trick.  You could see stripes that were healing when the tape was removed with deep purple between the strips of tape.  The bruising cleared up in about 10 days but in a couple of smaller areas that hadn't been taped it lasted another two weeks longer.

Good healing :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Hi Linda,

thanks for the information, i will definitely start taping again. hope you recovered good! =)
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
Hi again,

My recovery went perfectly, thanks.  After each PKR I was back to full time teaching in 6 weeks.  Hope yours goes as well! :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
Hi Linda,

thank you for your well wishes. as much as i am trying to be positive, it feels that my recovery is at a plateau. i hope i can go back doing sports again.

doctor ruled out working though, im a fireman.  :(
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:56:17 PM »
I know how you feel.  You never think you are healing as fast as you should.  At two weeks a plateau is pretty common.  You've been seeing daily progress that moves along more rapidly as the swelling goes down and then you hit the grind where it is all building strength and getting the rest of the ROM back.  You are still early in the process.  Although I was back to work in 6 weeks, my OS said it would be 6 months until everything was fully healed and the rest of my body used to my PKR.  Everything has to readjust a bit because after surgery the knee is different.  So try and be patient with yourself.  You must be almost ready for working on your scar-try to see progress in one small area like that at a time.

I'm sorry to hear that you will need to make a career change.  Your choice to be a firefighter was a real commitment to serving your community and must be very difficult to give up.  Obviously you are someone who prefers an active career, would something like EMT be a possibility with the weight limits that are on your knee?  Or going to school again to be an athletic trainer?  You would have a depth of understanding that many trainers do not.

Good luck as you go through this journey.  I think the knee will be easier than the loss of a job you enjoy.   I have gone through job loss too, and the sadness that goes with it, but it is true that when God closes a door he opens a window.  Two months after I was non-renewed in my job, my husband was offered a job in another city and we moved.  I would not have been able to continue working at my old job with the move, but I had the unemployment to tide me over until I found a new teaching position where I have been for 26 years.  I hope that your transition, while difficult, takes you forward to another job that you love just as much.

Good healing :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
wow linda, that somewhat, some way or another, inspired me. i couldnt thank you more. in a matter of fact, ive actually decided to go back to school studying sports science having gone through what i have, i could only imagine putting it to good use.

i guess everything happens for a reason, and then you settle for something that makes you happy. im glad youve been through it well. theres definitely positives in things like this. ill think of what you said every time i feel sh*tty. thanks, again. :)
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:58 AM »
Glad to hear you have already decided to move forward by going back to school.  You have the kind of positive attitude that will roll with the punches and bounce back.

I was thinking of you last night and all today-my friend is an athletic trainer and went to a two day workshop on kineseotaping this weekend.  Last night she came and practiced on me, so I had my bone-on bone thumbs taped, my knee, my bad ankle, my shoulders, and a huge bruise.  I look like a spiderweb!  Most of it is just for support, but I was really glad to have the taping for the bruise (about 4"x5").  It makes such a difference in the swelling.

I hope you got the taping done to help your swelling already.  Good healing! :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
thanks linda, it does help my swelling a little. how i wish i can be your friend's "lab rat" too so she can tape me up. haha, i dont have professional knowledge on kinesio taping, all i get is from the internet and youtube videos. i hope im doing it right though. haha.

i should probably go for a workshop for it soon after i can walk. :)

again, you inspired me. haha. thank you.  ;)
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
hey linda,

just a little update. i met up wth my PT yesterday, she really nice btw, she's from UK actually(ps, im in singapore). she advised me to use the kinesio tape too. she even taught me a little technique on how to tape for my swelling. looking forward for my next physiotherapy! :)
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »
There you go! You can give up the youtube and have a great PT tape you.  I think the PT makes all the difference.  I have had the same PT for three of my four recent surgeries, and the difference in speed of recovery when I worked with him for my left knee was about twice as fast as the right with another fellow( I had to start PT when my regular fellow was on 2 weeks vacation).  Terry has just such a depth of knowledge that the others just don't have.  They are nice, but not superior.

With my arthritis I having been in PT about once a year for something. (When I had the meniscus surgery I was actually in PT in two locations, one for my knee and one for my hands)  You really get to see the difference with that much exposure.  In fact, one time when I was doing the exit survey at the end of 6 weeks, the patient computer was busy and Terry had me use his.  A   woman walked in and greeted me, asked where I was working now, and who was I filling in for.  I was such a familiar face she thought I worked there!

Hope your physical therapy goes as well as mine always have.  Good healing :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
awww i envy your recovery process. im only having my physiotherapy once a week. how often was yours til you were mistaken for a staff working there? haha.

ive had 2 PTs so far.. for my pre-op/post-accident, i had this senior physiotherapist who was really2 fun to work with. she's more than a physiotherapy to me, she's like a psychologist. there were times that we just talked for half an hour as i lashed out my feelings. haha. well, she had to leave for career enhancement.

with my current PT, she's very very technical, it seems that she knows her stuffs very well. well, she's younger than the other PT, and pretty too. such a bonus for me. hehe.  ;)

but yeah, hopefully it goes as well as yours!! 
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:55:54 AM »
Here typically you go twice or three times a week depending on the issue and in most cases I have had 6 weeks of therapy at a time, including my PKRs.  To extend there has to be some serious reason and rarely does it ever go over 12 weeks or the insurance won't pay.  The longest I have ever had was 5 months-three days a week- when I trashed a disk in my  back when I slipped on the ice.  Terry only works three days a week in the PT department and works directly in my OS's office the other two, so he is the best for joints. 

Its good to hear that yours is technically very good, they keep coming up with new things and younger could also mean more up-to date.  And the pretty means you will never miss an appointment! ;D

Have a great weekend.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline leitoeva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
hey linda,

youve been of great great help to me. thanks, ill be having my appointment tomorrow! keep me updated alright. maybe we can keep in touch through other means. :) take care.
                    MCL (hamstring)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »
Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.  It has been fun.  Keep in touch as you go back to school.  You can always send a me a message through kneegeeks.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support