Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: pre surgery training for ACL/PCL deficient knee  (Read 503 times)

Offline cbass

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pre surgery training for ACL/PCL deficient knee
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
Hi,

this is my first post here, so let me give all you a short heads-up on what is wrong with my knee. I tore my PCL three years ago and after some physical therapy I was able to continue all my sporting activities as usual. I play semi-pro american football and basketball over here in Germany.

Three weeks ago I tore my ACL playing football and will have to face surgery if I want to resume playing ball. I have not yet scheduled replacement yet, because it is fairly difficult to find a surgeon who is willing and able to take on the PCL repair...

For the time being, I am absolutly able to handle my dayly routine. I am 95% painfree and have close to 100% range of motion in felxion and extension. The bone bruise is bothering me every once in a while and I have pain in my postlateral corner which I surely can't diagnose and has not been by a professional. So I can't jusge the extent of the injury there at all. I just hope that they won't have to fix that instability too.

Now to my problem:

I would like to enter the surgery with as much muscle as possible, to make my way back easier, but I am not sure how much I can or should do with the knee. I do leg presses and cycle a lot currently, but the knee feels stable enough to try some light, high rep squats and romanian deadlifts. Is this a good idea? As far as I remember leg curls and extensions are out of the question, since the produce too much stress on the shinbone, pushing/pulling the leg into the anterior/posterior drawer.

Does anybody have any experience with this and can point me to some more exercieses I can do?

any help is greatly appreciated

Sebastian

support