Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Microfracture Surgery  (Read 3612 times)

Offline ncm311

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture Surgery
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
I am 35 years old, 5'8" 170lbs from the Philippines and loves to play golf and tennis. I had a  (L) knee microfracture last May 25, 2012. I was in crutches for 8 weeks (6 weeks NWB and 2 weeks Partial weight bearing). It has been 3 weeks now since I took of my crutches. I did my rehab as prescribed and continue to do the exercises at home including my stationary bike.

I think my progress was excellent and 11 weeks post op I am walking ok but feels a tolerable amount of pain when I walk or when standing up after sitting for a long time in work.

- Is this pain normal? when does the pain go away?
- also my doctor recommended shot/s of hyaluronic acid to aid in the acceleration of the regeneration of the micro fibers, has anybody tried this?
- how long did it take you guys to return back to active sports?

Thanks in advance

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
Hey all - well I am now 5 months post op and I STILL haven't got full extension in my leg.  I am walking on it (all be it with a limp), swimming, using the exercise bike, stepper and rower but am still lacking 8 degrees on extension - it's so frustrating now!!!!!

I have another orthopaedic appointment at end of September and they have mentioned me maybe having to have something called a release - has anyone ever had one? If so, what is involved?
2003 - Arthroscopy/Menisectomy L knee
2004 - ACL Reconstruction L knee
2012 - Arthroscopy/Microfracture L knee

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »
Hi Amy

I had microfracture with all of my other things and am now coming up to 3 months post op with 110 degrees flex and 0 degrees extension, i was lucky in that i had 0 degrees straight after the op which i hear is unusual. guess my lack of flex makes up for it!

Anyhow hope your doing ok and glad to hear the hydro was helping I cant do anything like that for a while.. as for the release, ive been told that if i cant get the bend to about 130-140 within the 6 months then they will perform a release, this is where they knock you out (day surgery) and physically bend or straighten (in your case) your knee to get what you need, this pushes it through any fluid or material issues that are stopping it bend or straighten out...

Apparently its quite a straight forward procedure and not long and very successful so don't be worried about it it's a procedure designed to help in the long term!

take care

SG
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 02:41:54 AM »
Amy

Not sure what a release may be. I had a microfracture in late 2007. It was not a fun process and I was limping around with my knee catching 9 months after the process. The doctor had to go back in and clean out loose pieces that broke off from the microfracture surgery 11 months after the surgery. It helped quite a bit, although I have had two additional surgeries on the same knee in the last 2.5 months. Good luck.

joseph

Offline eastvillageNYC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 04:02:22 AM »
Amy-  I'm due to have Microfracture surgery with my ACL reconstruction.  THe ACL surgery I am ok with, but a little concerned about doing the microfracture as well.  It "may" work, but will definitely delay my ACL recovery.  How has your experience been? WOuld you recommend the MF surgery?  I can always tell them no... just do the ACL reconstruct.  Hope you are doing well!

support