Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Driving after tibial plateau fracture?  (Read 8860 times)

Offline smileyshaz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Driving after tibial plateau fracture?
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
Hi everyone, just wondering how long it's taken people to get back to driving after TPF? Did you have to wait till you were full weight bearing or was it earlier? Also was your knee still supported in a brace or did you wait till brace was off?

Cheers for any replies,
Shaz x
Words of wisdom from my consultant "Remember why you're called a patient!"
5/10/11 - Right TPF (grade 6)
10/10/11 - Surgery then CPM machine
13/10/11 - Plaster brace
15/10/11 - Home
27/10/11 - Clips out
24/11/11 - Smaller brace, teeny bit weightbearing!
28/12/11 - Brace gone, wbat
26/04/12 - Work

Offline jasmin1989

• Regular Poster
Re: Driving after tibial plateau fracture?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
Hey
I had to wait until I was full weight bearing. Also by then I wasn't wearing my full brace just a small knee support brace. My physio also had me practise sitting there pushing down on the accelerator and brake. From there I would drive around some quiet streets while my partner would say stop and I practised putting down the brakes really fast. i started off driving for only 5 minutes then built up. I'm up to about 20-30 mins at the moment before my knee starts to ache a little and my muscles fatigue.
Jasmin
24/4 Hit by a car
10/5 - Surgery 1 plate 11 screws, bone grafts
Started physio, NWB for 6 weeks
21/06 PWB for 2 weeks then increase
start Aug - down to 1 crutch
30/08 - driving again
29/11 - Hardware removal & arthroscopy
18/12/12 - Fat pad debridement & scar tissue removal

Offline liamy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »
I didn't start until about a month after I was allowed to weight bear. I had so much ankle/foot pain when I was able to start bearing weight that I didn't even attempt it. When my PT thought it was time, I went to the community college down the road and spent about 30 min accelerating and then slamming on the brakes. I've had no problems ever since. And having a disabled parking permit for holiday shopping is awesome! :)
Good luck!

(and I don't wear any sort of brace. I haven't since about week 3-4 postoperative)

Offline smileyshaz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
Thanks for your replies!  I was hoping that I would be driving before I was fully weightbearing, but safety (of others and myself) has to come first - time to practice being a patient patient again I guess.
Words of wisdom from my consultant "Remember why you're called a patient!"
5/10/11 - Right TPF (grade 6)
10/10/11 - Surgery then CPM machine
13/10/11 - Plaster brace
15/10/11 - Home
27/10/11 - Clips out
24/11/11 - Smaller brace, teeny bit weightbearing!
28/12/11 - Brace gone, wbat
26/04/12 - Work

Offline jpalen

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:26:18 AM »
Hi Smiley,
I drove after partial weight bearing and with my brace.
It was easier to drive the full sized pickup than my small car and I drove with my left foot while propping my right foot up in the center of the hump.
Jim
TPF October 3, 2010
External Fixator Oct 4, 2010
Remove External Fixator Jan10, 2011
Insurance declines surgery.
Living with 2mm step in the tibial plateau.
Getting by.

Offline stavebomb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:20:12 AM »
I drove while I was still non weight bearing and never wore the brace they gave me. I figured that 9 screws and two plates were probably going tonbe sufficient. It never hurt when I drove so I thought it was fine. Had to get to work somehow!  I'm sure it would have been reallly reallly bad if in had to slam on the breaks, but I tried to exercise extreme caution. For me, I loved driving because it was the only way I could go wherever I wanted without having to worry about those stupid crutches!  I felt free!!! My car is stick, too, which is fun to drive :)  I guess it's just up to u and how comfortable u feel taking somewhat of a risk.   let's be honest tho...those braces don't do anything if u have a bunch of hardware holding your knee together. My doctor told me that he pretty much wanted me wearing it so people were more careful around me because it would let them know that I had a serious injury.