Author Topic: thoughts on stretched ligaments....  (Read 5858 times)

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
thoughts on stretched ligaments....
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
The new O.S. I went to 1 week ago asked me why I had to have a "revision" just 8 months out from  my T.K.R. and I told him my original O.S. "claimed my ligaments had stretched"....at the time I did not believe him and I still dont. The new O.S. shook his head and said "NO" I dont believe that at all......So I read between the lines of what he was telling me and basically he was telling me the original O.S. put a tibia spacer that was too small to start with....which is what I have believed all along...what do you guys think???? Now more than likely I will have to have a complete revision done with all the hardware taken out and a new cemented one put in....Now who's fault is this?????  Hmmmmmm, let me guess? ;) Rob
2007-2008  (3) scopes on left knee
early 2009 (3) synvisc injections (worthless)
Oct 2009   TKR  left knee
Oct 09 - Aug 2010 endured almost 1 yr of unbearable pain
Aug26th 2010 revision on left T.K.R.
Feb 2012  complete removal of failed zimmer T.K.R. new one put in...

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: thoughts on stretched ligaments....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »
Hi Rob,

You can bet the farm it was "surgeons error"!  I had a similar issue with my original liner - it was too small, but my implant was cemented.  Here in Pennsylvania you have only 18 months from the date of your last appointment to file a suit.  I was way past that date when the problem was finally discovered by my new OS. I did however, file an Adverse Event Report with the FDA, which was surprisingly easy.  A few weeks later I received a phone call from a representative of the corporation that made my implant and the custom cutting guides.  They asked for all my medical records, x-rays etc.....still waiting to hear back.  I'm sure nothing will happen to the surgeon who did the primary replacement but at least I shook some trees and someone MUST answer back to the FDA. 
I am having less pain but the knee is still very unstable, especially going up/down stairs, and I can't walk very far without having to sit down and give it a rest.  My plan is to see an OS at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC...hopefully I will get answers and my life back.

I would encourage you to file and Adverse Event Report after you have the surgery to get you knee fixed, the right way!  Please keep us up-dated...

Diana

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:58 AM »
Diana, i have a question for you, do you think youre knee ligaments can stretch to the point you need a revision in just 6 months , and being careful not to do anything we shouldnt? I dont think so....I have spoken to several therapists and they say it's possible and I have also spoken to my primary care dr. and he also says it's possible....I Still dont believe it....I am having such a hard time believing this happened in my case.....' I am just about convinced" this  " is Not" what happened in my case....The O.S. I went to recently agrees with me, which is great...But I'm still curious...on the truth....Robert

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »
Hi Robert,

No, I don't believe ligaments can stretch to the point of needing a revision.  The "story" I got from my original OS and the PT's was that I needed to "strengthen my quads".  However, my new OS (that did the liner exchange) told me I had to much anterior/posterior play in my knee.  He also said that they are much better implants for my situation than the one the original OS put in.  So, to answer your question; I think your implant is wrong and so the ligaments don't have the proper support, causing pain and instability....not the other way around. We did nothing to allow this to happen to us, but our surgeons sure did! 

When is your bone scan scheduled for?

Diana

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Thanks, Diana.....I agree 100% with you,,,My bone scan is this Tuesday at 10;30....will let you know how that goes..and My new O.S. dr. appt is this coming Thursday to review the bone scan and give me his final thoughts....will keep you posted... regards, robert

Advertisement