Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fentanyl patch or Lidoderm patch ???  (Read 3587 times)

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Fentanyl patch or Lidoderm patch ???
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
Has anyone here used for pain management the "Fentanyl patch" or the "Lidoderm patch"? A pharmacist I know suggested For me to try the "Lidoderm patch" or the Much much stronger "Fentanyl patch"...I know all meds have some adverse affects on some people. I am presently on the "Flector patch" which worked awesome for the first 2-3 months, but now on my forth month, it's only working about 25% of what it was doing. " Body gets immune" to meds...However, I am pretty alarmed at all the "Cautions" I read on the web about the "Fentanyl patch". Has anyone here used it??? Robert
2007-2008  (3) scopes on left knee
early 2009 (3) synvisc injections (worthless)
Oct 2009   TKR  left knee
Oct 09 - Aug 2010 endured almost 1 yr of unbearable pain
Aug26th 2010 revision on left T.K.R.
Feb 2012  complete removal of failed zimmer T.K.R. new one put in...

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
Re: Fentanyl patch or Lidoderm patch ???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »
No One?

Offline cadiving

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Hi Robert,

I just did some searches of the boards from the search button at the very top center of the page (not the top right one) and came up with several threads with either name in the title of the thread.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I've never tried the patches.

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Jim

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
Thanks Jim,  I'll look there...Robert

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 82
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
Some of the KG'ers with arthrofibrosis use pain patches...might be worth posting the same question in that section

Good luck, hope all goes well for you :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
Partial meniscectomy, mfx not needed - smooth scar tissue over OC lesion, shaving of grade III defect lateral aspect of patella
2nd scope on 16/12/10, chondroplasty & Durolane jab
New MRI shows lat meniscus tear & other stuff
Ostenil plus jab

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
Hi Robert,

How did you get on with your 3rd opinion?

Cheers, Martin

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
Hey Martin, Always good to hear from you...I think that the 1.5 hour drive was well worth it. Now to the juicy stuff, First  dr. was a good listener which is always ggod. He said that he does not like implants that are "non cemented" which is what "we" have, as you know. He also said that He does 'not" buy into the theory that my ligaments stretched in only 6 months from my T.K.R.   which, I by the way never believed it either, the original O.S. always kept on blaming "me". " I  read between the lines of what he was saying, and I understood that the original O.S. screwed up from the begining by putting a tibia spacer that was too small"....that"s why my knee was unstable . He also found that Now, I have an unstable knee with lateral loosening when he pushes from the outside of my knee in. not from the inside out. therefore his thoughts are that my implant is coming "loose". However, he did say that he could not be 100% sure until I get my "bonescan" done, which he wants me to do it A.S.A.P..but waiting right now for Insurance authorization....you know how that goes....So, , if indeed it is coming Loose he wants to change it out for a cemented one. And he says "Bingo" that should be you're fix.....For the first time I Go to an O.S. that actually listens and believes me that something is wrong! will keep you posted once I get the scan done and Results....By the way how are you doing?? regard's, Robert

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Hey Robert, That's great news, ;D hopefully this new OS will find something definitive that he can cure, even if the scan shows nothing he sounds proactive and will try something because he 'Believes you'.
As you say after all the comments from the OS's saying there is nothing wrong, it must be you, you are the 2% bad luck etc, you start thinking "Is it really me"? ???
My wife goes to see a 'really good OS' on Monday about her knee (She knows that he is good because she has been working alongside some of the OS's as a nurse so has got to know how their patients recover and can see their bedside manner etc) So whilst we are there I am going to ask him about my implant and if he will take me on for a 2nd opinion. Apparently the OS that did my knee doesn't have a very good reputation :o Wish I'd bloody known that before but my wife wasn't working there then :-[ Sod's bloody law and all that :'(
Well good luck with the bone scan and don't forget you can't go near any children or pregnant women for 24 hrs after the radio active injection :o my wife made me sleep on the sofa............. In the garage.......... For two weeks......... Only kidding, but you do have to sit down to pee in case you splash..... It will melt the seat ;D I told the nurse "That's nothing you should see my pee after a beer festival" ;)

Cheers for now, Martin

Offline huntingandmoon

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
Hi Robert,

I am so happy for you!  To finally have an OS who believes you are in pain even if the x-rays say all is good, is heaven sent! I'm hoping the insurance company gets a "move on" so you can begin getting your life back....please keep us posted.

Diana

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
Robert- Not sure you have an answer yet re: patches, but they are very different.  Lidoderm is applied over the area of pain and basically "numbs" that area.  It can only be worn for 12 hours and then must be off for 12 hours before you reapply. You can wear up to 3 patches, but must follow 12 hour on/12 hour off for all patches.   Many people (including me) wear at night to help with pain that keeps you from sleeping.   Fentanyl is an opiod that is absorbed through the skin into blood and then acts systemically for pain control.  The patch stays on for 3 days and generally you would place.  You should not use a fentany patch if you have not be taking opiod medications right along.  Hope this helps.  Both require prescription and you should discuss them with your OS or regular doctor.  Good luck -A
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline oohyeah4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
@ FMRCathelete, ,Thanks, for the info..I did go to my Pain Management Dr. on monday also and He said he did not like Fentanyl for me at this time. He prescribed me a " Compound Med" he wrote..it has several meds all mixed up...The topical I just received it last night, and out side on the label it says" Ultra Flex" by script only..I just applied it and pain is gone for now....Let's see how long this works though...  @ Martin, you are So correct, I too have grown tired of the same "B.S." of "you are the 2-10%" of the Unknown....All I know by all the nice people I have met here on this site, is there are alot more "horror" stories out there then these dr's want us to believe. @ Diana, Yes , I felt good that finally a Dr. would actually listen and believe me... Actually, I went to my primary care dr last week and he said "lets wait till the end of Dec to have that bonescan done"  . I said inside of my self, " wait for what"?   I have waited long enough!!! I really Feel for all of us that just cant get " a solution" to our pains...Again , thanks for the wonderful support all of you provide....regards, Robert

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:25:56 AM »
I have had good luck using the Lidoderm patches.  I have soft tissue problems and some days I just need some relief so I'll use the patch.  It works instantly.  The dr encouraged me to use them since there are not side affects and will do no harm.  No worry about addiction or stomach problems etc.  They are pricey but if your insurance pays it shouldn't be to bad.  That's right that you wear them for 12 hours on and 12 hours off.  I don't use them everyday.  Just use them on those days I can't stand it anymore.
Good luck to you.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
I love me some lidocaine patches....   I would say it is for small aches and pains..  Weather pains..  at night...
Fentanyl patches..  Heavy duty pain meds.   My Dad used during his battle with Cancer.   

Hope this helps you.

Offline Crematia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »
I have been using Lidoderm patches for about six months or so. At times it's felt like they don't do much for my pain. So I tried not using them a few times and found that they do indeed help. Especially with driving and working out. Good luck to you!

And also, the patches can be cut in up to three pieces, I do not believe you can use three whole patches. At least that's how I interpreted the directions.

support