Author Topic: NickiAnn's Crazy Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 20903 times)

Offline cskurda109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: NickiAnn's Crazy Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
Nicki,

It's all good, teachers here have been cramming with midterms also. Hope you feel better soon! The flu is a nasty one this year.  Wow, a lot more recovery time than I expected, hopefully I don't fall too far behind on my college class!

I agree with your explanation about quality of life. Right now I am not happy at all with what I am restricted to doing, I can't even walk a whole day without having to take something for my pain. I am ready to move on with my life.
Speaking of medications, he recently put me on tramadol, because the tylenol 3 wasn't barely touching the pain I had. But my friends have told me they see that I am looking skinnier, and I feel skinnier. I am already a tiny girl, 5'4 and 100 pounds. So now I'm working on getting off the tramadol and already feel the pain. Ouch :(

My mom keeps wondering if I will be in any sort of cast or soft cast, any insight? Maybe it just depends on the person. They are supposed to send a packet in the mail with more information on the surgery.

When I went to my second appointment they scheduled my surgery but told us he was booked until the end of the year. I was put on the cancellation list, and was told I could be moved up maybe six months. So i thought, ohhh boy another six months of this! Well, I got a surprise call last week and now my surgery is schedule for the 4th of February. Very short notice but it is do-able. I cant exactly remember my angles, but they don't seem as severe as some people's I've read. I think Dr. T told me 30 on my femurs and around 20 on my tibia's. Although I noticed different numbers on my actual x-rays that were around the 40's and 50's measurements, didn't get a good look at them though.. My femurs rotate inward and my tibia's go out. He said he was gonna do his own measurements the day of surgery just to double check.

Thank you for all your help, the days are ticking away and I find myself becoming more nervous. Although I'm trying not to show it haha.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:29:01 PM by cskurda109 »
December 2012 - Diagnosed with Miserable Malalignment

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:10 AM »
Wow Cassidy!  Your surgery is fast approaching.  You will not be in a cast, unless he's planning something radically different for you.  All the fixation is internally with the hardware.  Count on spending a lot of time in bed initially in a partial recline position--you'll find yourself doing anything to get pressure off that femoral area!  Get lot of books and movies and treat yourself to a movie fest!

FYI--you probably won't be able to move the leg too much for a couple of weeks after surgery--it's just too traumatized.  That's normal.  They will give you a strap that you can use to loop around your foot and move your leg in and out of bed. 
1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

Offline cskurda109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Hey there Nicki,

Its been a while since I've posted! Mostly focused on getting myself healed but I wanted to give an update on how my recovery is doing.

Tomorrow will be three weeks post op! Tuesday I go for a checkup with teitge. My recovery has been pretty crazy, along with my time spent in the hospital. I'll start with week one.

Everything from pre op to waking up was how you described, pre op was a blur and not painful at all. My surgery was from 1:30 to 8:30 and I guess right out of the OR I was calling for my mom although of course i don't remember ;) woke up about 10:30 and yay no nausea, I was actually pretty hungry. All was going pretty good until about day three. Days three and four I suffered from poor appetite and nausea. By the end of day four they were drugginge up with reglan and zofran to make the nausea go away. That's where it got scary. After having my second dose of reglan I looked at my mom and said "mom I feel like I'm going crazy," she said what do you mean? Well... She checked my pupils, my hands started jolting up and down, she checked my eyes again and knew, I need help. My legs began jolting as well (ouch) but I barely noticed I couldn't stop and was hysterically screaming. Then a bunch of people came in the room and I was knocked out. When I woke they told me I had an allergic reaction to the reglan, and it gave me a seizure. Probably one of the scariest things in my life. I was fine after I woke up thank God. The next day I was discharged home, wasnt that surprising! Although they forgot to take my hepblock out or whatever its called, whoops. Good thing mom is an RN ;)

The first week home I took it easy after everything that I went through. Mom helped with showers and main sure my pain was tolerable. They even rented a CPM machine for me, it lulled me to sleep for the next two weeks :) this past monday, I decided to try to attend my college class on crutches. Since I'm dual enrolled the class is at my high school. Being only two weeks post op you can imagine how hard that was. I made it through class and decided to stay until after lunch so I could see some of my friends, then call my mom to go home since I was already worn out. Then I took my first (almost) fall. Just high schoolers messing around by me and I started to back away so I wouldn't get hurt, just as I do someone pushes my boyfriend and he runs into my bad side, I almost fall but thankfully he reacts quickly and catches before I hit the ground. Still, the pain was agonizing and I was crying as he carried me to the office. The er came and it really didn't feel like anything moved or twisted, but man did it hurt. I was sent to the clinic for x rays which turned out fine. But my muscles and nerves took a pretty big hit, I got knocked down to how I felt first coming out of surgery. I was devastated, and it caused a setback for me. I stayed home for the rest of the week working on getting myself back to how I was before the incident.

So now, I am three weeks post op tomorrow. CPM machine is gone, for the most part. I'm on crutches and a Walker again but was told to be in a wheelchair for school for safety purposes. I can move my leg back and forth while sitting and scooch it up while laying down. I can lift it but not very high at all. Haven't tried to lay on my stomach but can lay on my side, the non surgical side of course haha. What else... I do all I can to get out of the house and push myself. Just yesterday I took a day out with my dad, went to family dollar, the pet store, Walmart and Kmart and transitioned between my crutches and the wheelchair. I can take a shower by myself! And finally put my own socks on, which by the way my foot seems to be a block of ice all the time! There is still a lot of swelling too. And because I'm so skinny some of the hardware sticks out and I can feel it right under my skin :p

Thank you again for your words and help.  I still check back on this and see if I'm making steady progress like you were. I love my straight leg, and its safe to say, even with all that hardware in there it feels more real than my other leg :)
December 2012 - Diagnosed with Miserable Malalignment

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »
Congratulations Cassidy!  You are now the owner of a straight leg!  So sorry to hear about the allergic reaction ( that had to be really scary), but now you are on the other side of the worst of it!

Take it easy out there!  Remember your bones aren't healed yet.  Though, overall, being active will probably help you recover faster.  That said, don't forget that this is a major adjustment and the leg won't feel good for a while yet.  Be patient and the months will zip away, with the leg being a tiny bit stronger and less sore every month.

Keep me posted on your recovery and let me know if you have any questions.

By the way, my ankle on my left leg swelled for a looong time, so that's totally normal.

Offline AlexBlomkvist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
Hi Nicki, Cassidy,

It's been very helpful reading your stories and, if you're time allows, I'd like to know how are you feeling now, after about 2 years from your last post?

We just found out yesterday that my wife will have to get this type of surgery for the left femural bone and possibly some cartilage implants for her knee, but this should happen not earlier than April. Also, the doctor said that she should fell about 80% better once she recoveres so I guess this is better than nothing. She's almost 26, by the way.

One of the things that I still don't fully understand is if the metal plat must be removed or it depends on the patient. What was your experience with this? What about the recovery period after the removal?

Thanks again for your help and I really hope you are fully recovered by now and you envoy your lives.

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
    • new to knee geeks but not to knee problems
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
Hello!

I know this comment was not directed towards me but I had derotational osteotomies on my femur and tibia as well. It has been a year and a half since my surgery and regarding only the problems fixed by this surgery my leg feels great. I would say 100 percent better. I still have a few other things going on but those are separate issues still being dealt with.

I didn't have a metal plate for my femur, I had a rod but in my tibia I had a plate. Both recoveries from the hardware removals were pretty short. It is not necessary to remove the hardware unless it is bothersome. For me, I could feel every screw or piece of hardware rubbing on something so I wanted them out. After just a couple weeks I was back to a pretty normal lifestyle then over the next few weeks after that, really felt back to normal.

If you haven't seen them, my post op diary for my osteotomies is here
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=62408.0

And my post op from the hardware removals is here
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64378.0

Don't know if you area net rested or your wife is but just in case.

Any other questions? I would be happy to answer them.
Who is the surgeon your wife has?
11/19/12 R femoral neck osteoplasty-FAI&scope-labrum
6/13/13 R femur&tibia derotational osteotomies-rod/two screws-femur,plate/six screws-tibia
12/18/13 femur plating-non union
6/30/14 tibia hardware removal
11/3/14 femur hardware removal
11/19/14 sm medial meniscus tear-pt
5/11/15 L PAO

Offline AlexBlomkvist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
Hi and thank you for stepping in.

We live in Germany so I doubt the name of the doctor would be of much help. All I know is that everyone sais he is the best in the area when it comes to these kind of procedures. We were sent to him by her previous doctor for a second opinion.

The things I worry about most are related to the first month after the surgery, when I know the pain is the most intense. It happens that we recently came to Germany because I was transferred here with my job so we have no relatives and not some many friends in the area. The doctor told us that she should be in the hospital for 5 days and then come home. I will try to stay away from work for as long as I can but at some point I'll have to go back to work so I'll be away about 9 hours each day. Will she be fine by herself or a person in this  situation needs constant care? What about taking showers? We only have a bath tub and I'm wondering, does the pain allow a person in this situation to gen in a bath tub, even with   another person's help?

Hopefully I just worry to much and everything will be fine. She seems to be fine with the idea of having the survey and I'm the paranoid one.

I will read your 2 journals as well, of course.

Thanks for your help.

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 05:15:19 AM »
I am glad you have found what sounds like the best in the area for the surgery.

Do you know about how long you will be able to take off work? Also, do you know if she will be non weight bearing or able to bear some weight right away? This will make a difference in the difficulty of her being home alone. As far as the shower, purchase a shower chair. I can tell you the one I have that I love and made showering much easier. I had no difficulty, even for my first shower after leaving the hospital. I was only in the hospital for two nights and came home and showered the next day I believe. I also have only a tub shower and with my shower bench it was no problem. I didn't have anyone's help for showering.

Let me know anymore questions you have and if you are curious about anything you find in my diaries. I am happy to help.

Claire
6/13/13 R femur&tibia derotational osteotomies-rod/two screws-femur,plate/six screws-tibia
5/11/15 L PAO

Offline AlexBlomkvist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 08:04:12 AM »
Hi Claire,

I hope I will be able to stay away from work for about 2 weeks after her release from the hospital.

We only had one encounter with the surgeon so details still have to be discussed but he told us that she should be in crutches for about 3 months.

Regarding the bath tub, I'm wondering how doable it is to lift the leg and get into the tub, even if you have a chair.

It'll be fine, I'm sure, I'm just being over protective I guess.

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Hi!

3 months sounds about right to me if no complications arise but if she is non weight bearing, that is when it is a lot harder to take care of yourself. If she is allowed to bear some weight with crutches then it is easier to move things around that you need and get food or drinks. Do you have crutches at your house already? If so I believe practicing with them is a good idea.

For me, I didn't have any trouble getting my leg in the tub but I did have to use my arms to lift my leg and put it in the tub. I could not lift my leg with my leg muscles. They did not work at all. Also, do you know what a gait belt is? If not look it up so you know what I am referring to. They gave me two in the hospital. One to have around my waist when walking so someone could grab me if I fell and they instructed me to use it every time I was on stairs with someone holding onto me. The with the other they made a loop on one end with the buckle and taught me how to slip that over my foot and I pull on the other side to be able to move my own leg around. I had to use that to get my leg into and out of bed. It was a little challenging to get used to but once I was I liked it better because then I could control what was happening with my leg instead of having someone else have to lift it out of bed for me. The problem with someone else helping that you should be aware of is that everyone I have heard of, including me, get terrible pain, most people call blood rushes, when getting their leg from in bed down to the ground. It happens when someone helps you or when you do it yourself but the only way to make it hurt a little less is to move your leg out of bed or from it lying flat down to the ground EXTREMELY slowly. I liked doing it myself better b cause obviously I could feel what was happening and be able to control it accordingly. When my dad or whoever would move my leg they didn't know what it felt like while they were doing it. I remember telling my dad countless times, go slower and he would say he was and I would say well  go even slower than that. Sorry that was kind of a tangent but you might be able to help your wife better knowing this info.

Was that too much haha? Or do you want to know everything like that?
5/11/15 L PAO

Offline MelissaBates

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
Hi Nicki,

I'm due to have bilateral derogation surgery at the end of the month and I am terrified! For as long as I remember I have walked with my feet turned in and I am as excited to have straight legs as I am sad to see my 'funny' walk go :(
I understand that you only had one leg done at a time and I'm getting both femurs done together but I was hoping you'd still be able to answer some questions for me?
Firstly, how much does sitting up hurt on the femur bone? I can't get the idea out of my head that I'm never going to be comfortable for about 6 weeks!
Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds totally rude, but how do you sit on the loo without hurting your femur? I'm not going to have a good leg to stand on...
Finally, will the pain reduce quick enough so I would be able to focus on studies within 4 weeks?
Thank you for any help you (or anyone else!) can give!! I'm only 19 and I'm so so scared!!

Offline unhappy hip

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2017, 04:33:51 AM »
Very helpful reading all the post. 

I am a 47 year old male who has been prescribed a femal derotation osteotomy for my L hip by Dr. Buly at HSS in NYC. 

I would like to get a second option and would like to know what other doctors in the country are renowned for femal derotation osteotomy.

Dr. John Clohisy at Washington Univ and Dr. ira Zaltz in Detroit has been mentioned.

Any help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
Wow!  I have not posted in quite a while, but I feel it's high time I get on the thread and update people as to my long term recovery from my tibial and femoral osteotomies.  If you have read my entire thread "Nicki Ann's Crazy Derotational Osteotomy," you know that my first surgery was in 2011, so I am six years post surgery on my left leg, five years post surgery on my right, and four years out from hardware removal on both legs.

I have been rereading my earlier entries, and it has been a walk down memory lane.  I had so many aches and pains those first couple of years.  Almost all of these pains have ceased, almost...

I felt compelled to get on this thread again because yesterday I had another appointment with my surgeon to try and get to the bottom of one last lingering pain, which has been, in the words of my surgeon, a "diagnostic dilemma."

When I had my hardware, my right leg was very painful at the top of the femur, near the break in the bone.  I could not wait to have the hardware out because I assumed that removing it would end my troubles.  After hardware removal, I was told that I had developed severe bursitis because the hardware was inflaming the bursa. My doctor said it would take some weeks to subside, but that the pain should go away.  A year went by, and still the pain lingered.  In the meantime, lots of other aches that had been haunting me since my surgery gradually faded, but the pain at the top of the leg would not let up.

I did a round of physical therapy, no luck.  Waited another six months, and I went for an MRI.  My doctor could not find anything amiss to pin the pain on.  Waited another six or so months (all the while hoping this pain would fade in time like all the others), and I saw the doctor who advised a CT scan.  Ended up pregnant (a very happy surprise) and waited another year because I couldn't address anything, or have a CT scan, while carrying my daughter.  So now, here I am with a fresh prescription for a CT.

Doctor is hoping that the CT imaging will reveal something that we can put a finger on and repair.  Otherwise, it may be that my new rotation on my right leg is just enough outside of optimal for my anatomy that my muscles are pulling awkwardly and causing the pain.

The pain is a deep ache at the top/outside of my leg.  It is most irritated when I do a lot of standing around or slow walking such as one might do browsing at a store.  It gets severe enough that I am very uncomfortable. 

If the issue is rotational, there might not be much to be done.  We can't redo my osteotomy.

OK, so what's the bottom line?  I know the one thing readers want to know is "Was it all worth it?"
It's a tough one to answer.  For the most part, I am functional and normal when I walk, and believe me, there were times during the recover that I felt I would never be normal again.  My achy knees, which were my major motivation for having this procedure, are overall in good shape.  Since my osteotomies, I have never again had a bout of knee pain similar to the one that preceded my decision to have the surgery.  However, I now have a different pain, and it is proving to be chronic. 

Moreover, I had envisioned that after the surgery I would be able to do anything athletic that I wished; that my legs would be perfect and stronger than they had ever been.  It did not turn out that way.  I think my knees and hips are still a little touchier than other people's, and my right leg ( the one that currently hurts) never fully recovered in strength.

So,
Do I regret the surgery?  No, it was the best decision I could make with the information I had.  I needed to try something.

Are the results as good as I would have wished?  No, I still am living with the pain in the one problem location.  Maybe it will improve?  Hoping... 

I have learned that when you tinker with your body, whether it be through surgery or childbirth, things will never be perfect.  To expect it to be is unrealistic.  If you have bad knee pain/dislocations, certainly consider this surgery.  However, it is not a decision to be made lightly and there is risk.

I will try to get back on and update once I have my CT scan and let people know how it all plays out. 

Have a great weekend everyone.

Advertisement