Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Career ending desicion. 18 years old.  (Read 1983 times)

Offline heyz123456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Career ending desicion. 18 years old.
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
Well 6 weeks ago I had surgery. I had a microfracture on my tibia and a lateral mensicus repair. My career of choice is becoming a police officer and completed my frist year of univeristy. The problem with that is that I am pretty sure I re-tore my meniscus when getting out of bed.
I heard a pop, then major swelling followed and pain.

I am going to see my surgeon and ask him about. To make the reading short, I am just wondering how many years do I have left if i get the suspected torn mensicus taken out?

I have been reading many posts here and I have seen how devestating it is on your life when you arent pain free with your knees. I have accepted giving up basketball and all high impact sports. I am just curious too know if I should give up my career. To any of the experts or any police officers or just anyone who can help, could you give me any information on this choice. I am sure you guys will need more imformation too have a better diagnoses so I will be seeing the surgeron on September 8th and will follow up with you guys.

Any comments,advice or words would be very substantial in me making this choice.

Thank you.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Career ending desicion. 18 years old.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear about your knee injury.

If you are in the uk then sadly you will find that a lot of police forces and indeed the Army will not employ you in any case as these darned knees once injured and poked about with are weaker and more susceptable to further injury/time off sick.

I joined the police in 1979 ( yeah I know  - a long long time ago !) but I left in 1989 and then went to sign up again 3 years later and found that I couldn't get back in as I had had knee surgery! The worst thing was that I had the knee surgery as a result of being injured on a training day !!!!!!

I had all meniscus removed from my knee time I was 20 and no cruciate ligament - = osteo arthritis = tkr age 43 !  Just because that was my outcome doesn't mean it will be yours.

There are many jobs within the police service without haveing to be an officer so may be worth having a 2nd/3rd choice of career path.

Good Luck!
anje
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline heyz123456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear about your knee injury.

If you are in the uk then sadly you will find that a lot of police forces and indeed the Army will not employ you in any case as these darned knees once injured and poked about with are weaker and more susceptable to further injury/time off sick.

I joined the police in 1979 ( yeah I know  - a long long time ago !) but I left in 1989 and then went to sign up again 3 years later and found that I couldn't get back in as I had had knee surgery! The worst thing was that I had the knee surgery as a result of being injured on a training day !!!!!!

I had all meniscus removed from my knee time I was 20 and no cruciate ligament - = osteo arthritis = tkr age 43 !  Just because that was my outcome doesn't mean it will be yours.

There are many jobs within the police service without haveing to be an officer so may be worth having a 2nd/3rd choice of career path.

Good Luck!
anje

Thank you very much with your quick reply. I live in Canada and I dont see any restrictions about having knee surgery and being in the police academy in here. Its very unfortunate with your situation and your caeer. Just wondering some things about your past. You said you were 20 when this all happened, when did you start too feel pain to the point where you had to retire? Also do you feel with the braces and technology that we have now, you think you would have lasted in the force longer?

And one last question, with the total removal of your menisucs, how much of an impact of being an office and the lifestyle that it brought, had an effect of having early arthritis?

Once again, thank you for your reply. And my apologise for so many questions. And if some of the questions seem too personal, I understand if you wouldnt want to answer them.

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Own site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Hi Heyz  :)

Sorry about your knee. Ask your surgeon is the second meniscus repair possible. Maybe situation is not that bad after all. Don't ever give up on your dreams.

Many of us are using unloader brace after meniscectomy. I think unloader really helps in daily life.

Good luck and keep us posted.
B.r. Juha,
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Own site
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
In the last decade, meniscus allograft transplantation (MAT) has become a reasonable treatment option to be considered for some patients with specific types of knee pain. Here's one previous topic about the MAT surgery and rehab. Here's some basic information about the MAT treatment.
B.r. Juha,
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
hi again :)

When I left the force it was due to wanting to be at home with my children and I fully intended rejoining but they brought in the 'knee regs' . I had trouble and pain on and off for years with my knees but I was a fitness freak ! I finally gave up running ( half marathons) when I was about 25 and then shorter distances I finally stopped at 33 and then stuck to the gym. Trouble is my knee was forever locking up and leaving me stranded  - like I would just be getting into my car after picking the kids up from school and I would be stuck not being able to go anywhere mainly due to the pain - this was the arthritis and bits of bone crumbling and getting stuck in the wrong places so I literally couldn't move - my husband would come and rescue me and cart me off to the hospital.

By the time I was 43 my bad days really outweighed the good days to the point of being on strong meds like tramadol and still being in too much pain to cope. That is when I had my tkr - which I love !

After the meniscus removal when I was younger I was fine ( after a recovery period) I had a bit of instability but that was more due to the missing ligament.

Hope that helps x
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline heyz123456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
I cant thank you enough JuhaH and UK Girl for the posts and comments.

And thank you UK girl for giving the detailed explaination of knee journey.

Thanks Juhah for the posted link :)

Offline halfgward

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »
Hey man, you still have lots of time to become an officer!

If your life involves a lot of activities which may stress the knee, I don't understand why the doctor repaired it. If possible, he should have trimmed the torn portion and you will continue with your life. (some on here will say otherwise, but i think they are in the minority.)

I got a partial trim and recovered in a few weeks. They are not 100% yet, but running etc dont give me any problems anymore. I am fairly certain you will be fine if you are in good shape and are young.

Offline heyz123456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:46 AM »
Thanks for the post, my knee is doing good and on my way to having a normal life again :). Yeah it was a complex decision but it seems like the doctor made the right decision.

Offline rkleonard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »
Don't give up!

Having suffered a bad knee injury when I was 19 (I am 29 now) , I can tell you from experience that It takes a couple of years to recover from bad injury.  Just don't make the mistake that I did and re-injure it over and over.  Take your strength training seriously and get fitted for a proper orthopedic brace

Good luck

support