Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Looking for KNEE FUSION buddies  (Read 2470 times)

Offline caneguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Looking for KNEE FUSION buddies
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
Hello!

I finally had my right knee fused a few years back now and I am very happy with the outcome. The knee fusion was made due to a rare syndrome.

I would like to meet other people who also underwent knee fusion to share our experience with this type of surgery.

Best regards
Since 2005: wear a legbrace to keep the knee straight. I have suffered from a rare syndrome.
Around 2008: knee is now ankylosed, but not bony fusion yet
December 2009: definite, surgical knee fusion with a long nail

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
Re: Looking for KNEE FUSION buddies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »
I am sorry I cannot offer you an opinion, but I may ask for your input.  I have had seven major knee surgeries and a failed tkr.  My knee is totally unstable now and I am in chronic pain on morphine therapy.  Several doc's at major University Hospitals told me they could do a revision but did not think it would help the pain very much.  They have said that fusion (athrodesis) would solve the issue of the pain.  I enjoy theatre and fly a great deal, and the idea of being able to continue my present lifestyle with a straight leg makes me panic.  I am scheduled for a revision several months out but the idea of fusion keeps coming up.  May I ask please how you cope with it regarding travel, sleep and also a personal life.  I tried putting on a large knee brace for a few day's to experience a fused knee and it was not too bad, but that was only at home.

Thank you and I wish you only the best.

Offline caneguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:17 AM »
If you have a knee brace you could wear it all day long for a couple of days, this would give you a good picture about having a straight leg. Basically you can do everything after knee fusion what you did before. But it may take some more effort. I drive a car with no problems. My right leg is fused, so the gas pedal is moved to the left side, it was not that expensive. I havenīt been in theater or cinema since my fusion, so I cannot give any advice here, but it should be possible. You just need a seat at the brink of the row so you can stretch out your leg. Generally it is easier if you are not too tall. A 5"6 person like me has it easier than a 6" person. But, generally, everything you did before will be possible after knee fusion just with some more effort. Regarding pain, I am totally pain free, but each case is different, there is no guarantee that knee fusion solved all your pain issues! You could still have pain, maybe less pain, maybe the same pain, no guarantee about that!
Since 2005: wear a legbrace to keep the knee straight. I have suffered from a rare syndrome.

Offline icarus0211

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
Hello guys.

I am looking for someone who have had a knee fusion using the Ilizarov technique.
It is enough to say that when my infected revision endoprosthesis will be out there is 24 cm gap between ends of femur and tibia. A big distance to grow if that is still possible.
I will be grateful for any hints or experiences shared.

Regards
Icarus

Offline lexis79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Hello Icarus

I have had a fusion using Ilizaroff technique. I waited for the boned to be completely fused for almost 2 years. I have been living with it since I was 17. I am now 34, healthy and strong. How are you?

Offline caneguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »
Hello Icarus

I have had a fusion using Ilizaroff technique. I waited for the boned to be completely fused for almost 2 years. I have been living with it since I was 17. I am now 34, healthy and strong. How are you?

Hello, how are you doing today?

Do you use a walking aid like a stick?

Offline NonnaNella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »
Hello

I just had knee fusion in November. My right knee is fused and I am just starting to put weight on it after the 7th surgery in a year. I am planning on having car modification if it is possible to hand controls, has anyone ever done that?

I have a million questions about the best way to do things with the straight leg. I am 67 years old and 4' 10" and am using a walker to gain stability.

It would be nice to hear from others with this situation.

Thank you