Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: HELP! keeping a full leg brace from slipping down?  (Read 8820 times)

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP! keeping a full leg brace from slipping down?
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
So, I had a Fulkerson TTT and MCL/LCL ligament repair done about 2.5 weeks ago and I'm stuck in a full leg brace (immobilizer at the moment but the angle will hopefully be increased soon) for who knows how long and it's driving me insane. It refuses to stay up where it's supposed to and ends up off-center too. This means that I have to adjust it at least 3 times a day because when it rides down and crooked it puts lots of pressure on my knee (mainly patella and MCL) and really hurts! I still have to manage to make it to Wednesday when I go back to the OS to get the stitches removed and the brace (hopefully) unlocked a bit. I plan on asking him then what I can do about this brace or if there was something else I could wear. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting a full leg brace to stay in place as I have never worn one of these before and have not had this problem with any of my other braces (which I can't currently wear).
Thanks,
Cathy

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: HELP! keeping a full leg brace from slipping down?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
For me if the brace was sliding around it meant that the strap directly below my knee was too loose.  If that strap is over a sensitive area (because of the Fulkerson) fold up a Ace Bandage and use it as a pad over the area.  Having that strap tight seemed to make a huge difference in how the brace fit.  One other thing that worked was to wrap a small amount of self adhesive bandage under each strap.  The adhesive on the bandage helped was enough to help keep the brace up.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24:32 AM »
I think I'll give those a try. Thanks! :)

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:26:08 AM »
My Ortho's assistant told me to have the straps tight towards the middle and looser towards the outside. So the ones closest to your knee should be the tightest and the ones near your ankle and top of your thigh should be a little looser. I hope it stops falling down! I know, it's incredibly frustrating.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:08:19 AM »
When I was in mine. The best thing I found was to do the 3 straps below the knee tight & the next 1 above the knee tight, I would then use 2 extra wide crepe bandages from the 2nd strap up & then bandage it tight all the way up & over the top of the brace & onto my leg. It was a pain in the ass doing it but it worked.
O how I was glad to get rid of that brace
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
Hi,

I sympathise with this one! I was only in mine for a few weeks but it drove me spare...

I agree with all the above. I also found that what you're wearing underneath the brace makes a big difference. I wanted to wear joggers for comfort, but the weight of the brace pulled at the waistband and it tended to slip down. In the end I found something with a secure waistband was best, surprisingly I was more comfortable with jeans on than something softer! (Only discovered because i was wearing jeans the day they fitted it). If I wore something of a soft slippier fabric, I found that the brace had less to grip on to and the straps had to be uncomfortably tight for it to stay up.

Wish I'd had some of these tips then!

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 15
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:50 AM »
If you're using any kind of brace with a foam padding to it, take some self-stick bandage, wrap some of it around your calf just tight enough to stay in place without putting any pressure on the tissues, from just below the knee about halfway down the calf, then cut the rest off and save for future use. you should only need about 2 ft of wrapping. then put the brace on. it gives the brace something slightly tacky to stick to, and keeps it from sliding. Skin isn't enough, it just slips, no matter how tight you crank the straps.

trick works for immobilizers or postop braces both.

then you can wear your sweatpants or whatever over your brace. I found that trying to wear clothing UNDER the brace makes it slip even worse, as the fabric against skin is even more slick. As the other poster noted, fabric like jeans is rough, and grabs, so you could get away with wearing a brace over jeans if you had to, but most doctors will tell you that the brace has to be worn next to the skin.

Heck, I've lived in my various braces for so long, I've got sweapants I've modified with a zipper in the one leg just for doctor visits, airports and courthouses just so I don't have to "drop trou" to display my "hardware" to security, doctors, and anyone else that needs to give my leg a visual inspection. I have gotten over being shy.... but man, I am NOT about to drop my pants in a security aisle because somebody with a badge just HAS to visually inspect my brace even though they've given it a thorough "feelie" already and know it's actually a brace!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support