Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: An odd pulling feeling in left knee when squatting and standing  (Read 10240 times)

Offline pattersonjr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello, I hope you may be able to help me with this.  I am unsure whether or not this was from my car accident march 5th, 2011, but I notice when squatting down and remaining down that when I goto stand up, I feel a weird sensation in my knee.  It is not painful, but it feels like something is pulling, or a twinge if you would call it that?  Like while standing up the motion to stand up my left knee I feel what more or less feels like a tendon maybe pulling or my knee cap going over a tendon making a pulling sensation.  I cannot tell if it is in the inside of the left leg area that is beside the knee, or if it is behind the knee.  It doesn't bother me but I do notice that when I squat down, and then stand back up, I am putting a good majority of my weight on my right leg when doing so, and every time I squat and stand back up I feel this twinge feeling, it is exactly that.  It just makes me worried because I used to play a lot of basketball, and throughout college I have been way unphysical to say the least.  So basically, I want to know if I am not experiencing any pain but a funny twinge feeling in the knee when standing up, note that it doesn't do this when squatting down, its only when I go to stand up, sort of feel not a poping sensation but like a say a pulling sensation or a twinge every time at the same time when standing back up.  My knees used to crunch and pop around a lot but that would have some pain associated with it but never anything that has felt funny while doing the standing back up from squatting.. Note it has to be a full head to toe squat, if I am sitting down and stand up it does not do it, its only when I have the back side of my bum basically touching my back of my feet type of squat, so full compression of the knee, then when standing up that is when I feel the feeling, I am unsure whether to be worried or not, so I would ask on here maybe if anyone has had something similar.  Thanks

Offline pattersonjr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: An odd pulling feeling in left knee when squatting and standing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Is this normal?  I have always had crunching, snapping, and what not in my knees...  I just figured its the joints releasing pressure, similar to cracking knuckles.  I know that the squatting doesn't make pain, but a funny twinge in my left knee.

I do notice sometimes having what feels like a soreness on the front inside of the knee cap, and sort of off to the right side of the left knee not directly to the right but feels like its either the front of the knee, or the front off to the left a little bit, I have had one instance I can recall which was difficult to bear weight on the left knee, but that eventually settled down and my knee became usable again.  I am unsure if stability is a matter here because I never have my knees 'give out' as other people describe, or lock up as some have described.

Hope that may help out.  I do sort of walk like a duck though its difficult with my calfs to have my legs be straight all the time.

But the twinge like feeling of almost a tendon sensation being pulled as if its not quite in the right spot or something I am unsure, it doesn't bother me pain wise, but I do notice the feeling, I just do not want to make it worse if there is any one who have anything similar I would appreciate hearing.

Thanks

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 76
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
If it worries you, I'd make an appointment to see your doctor or a physio - what country are you in, you may or may not need a referral for PT.  It sounds like you should get your gait looked at, you may need orthotics for your shoes or something :)  They will be far more qualified to assess your own situation hands on than us online with our own dodgy knees , all of us have different issues ;D  Normally, if it not painful or restrictive, then it is probably not too urgent. 

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
Partial meniscectomy, mfx not needed - smooth scar tissue over OC lesion, shaving of grade III defect lateral aspect of patella
2nd scope on 16/12/10, chondroplasty & Durolane jab
New MRI shows lat meniscus tear & other stuff
Ostenil plus jab

Offline roseagain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 03:25:36 AM »
It sounds lie you may have "patella syndrome". Have an x-ray taken on the area and see if you have a small bean shaped bone which is catching on your ligament or tendon. I have this bone and it never bothered me until I had a knee operation! Now whenever I walk (straighten my legfrom the flex position as I ambulate) I get this pulling sensation which is actually painfol. I'm told the patella bone is rare--about 2% of population have it.

support