Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 weeks post-op lateral release and cartilage clean up(question)  (Read 1724 times)

Offline jesseb22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
had a lateral release done on march 7th, the doctor released about 4 inches or so along my right knee. I also had pain under my knee cap and the doc cleaned up some cartilage that was  "flapping". NOW HERE IS MY QUESTION - right now i have essentially the same pain under my knee cap during mostly the same movements where i had pain before. do you think its because where the cartilage removed is still a sore spot? any with experiance please help. i had my knee worked on in NYC

thank you

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: 4 weeks post-op lateral release and cartilage clean up(question)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
The short answer is probably.  It's only been 3ish weeks since surgery.  Lots of things are still probably tender.  Swelling can also keep the kneecap from centering properly and you will get the pressure pain like before.  Are you going to physical therapy and when do you see your OS next?
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline jesseb22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
I play college lacrosse so I see the trainer everyday and do therapy but I don't go to physiacal therapy. I see my OS in one week next friday. I am a 20 year old male by the way. Do you suggest any questions I should ask the OS when I see him?
Thank you

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
Just let him know that you are still having pain with certain activites.  You can also ask about recovery timelines.  From experiance (my first two LRs were in college 19 yrs old) it can take 6 months to a year to feel normal again.  The second one took 18 months because of complications.  I may even suggest you are asking too much of the knee too soon?  I know I did back then.  Any pain or stiffness after activity means you probably over did things.  You could also ask what kinds to activites might be aggrivating the healing area.  With a LR the kneecap can feel kind of "loose" if you will for a while.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline jesseb22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
I am definately asking too much of my knee too soon the OS said 3-4 months recovery and its only been a few weeks. thank you very much for the help!

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:29:31 AM »
Just let him know that you are still having pain with certain activites.  You can also ask about recovery timelines.  From experiance (my first two LRs were in college 19 yrs old) it can take 6 months to a year to feel normal again.  The second one took 18 months because of complications.  I may even suggest you are asking too much of the knee too soon?  I know I did back then.  Any pain or stiffness after activity means you probably over did things.  You could also ask what kinds to activites might be aggrivating the healing area.  With a LR the kneecap can feel kind of "loose" if you will for a while.

Interesting information.

I had an LR with medial plica clean up and small lateral meniscus tear cleaned last april 19th and my knee feels much more painful now than it did before surgery. It is also very unstable now where before surgery the stability was quite decent and I also feel uncomfartable with how the knee cap tracks and the new mechanics of my knee joint. I had swelling for 6 months after my surgery as well. Im hoping my knee will feel better in the coming months and it is encouraging that it may take a year and a half to feel better after a surgery like this. Thanks for the info.

March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:41:57 AM »
No problem for the info.  Also it is possible for the knee to become unstable after a LR.  You may want to seek a second opinion.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline jesseb22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:26 AM »
UPDATE- saw the OS and told him about the pain I'm still feeling. He told me it is sore from removing the cartilage and also from new cartilage forming and also something about bone hardening. Will see in another month how the pain is_

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
Makes sense.  It is tough to wait for it all to settle though.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt