Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Knee Now hurting after bad knee arthroscopy recovery  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Cazuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Good Knee Now hurting after bad knee arthroscopy recovery
« on: March 22, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »
Hi all,
Last year July 2010 I had an arthroscopy for a medial meniscus tear. This was so painful and I only returned to work in January 2011. My knee is still painful and now my good knee is painful as if it has come out in sympathy with it..I am walking with a stick and the good leg's knee cannot straighten  properly.. First thing in the morning and after sitting is the most painful as I TRY to straighten and stand on my legs.

Is this normal for your good leg to hurt because it has been relied upon?

Thanks Miserable and in Pain CAZ  :(

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Good Knee Now hurting after bad knee arthroscopy recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
Hi, Caz. It certainly can be normal. I think we don't realize the toll that limping can take on our other knee as well as back and hips. I know that when I start limping, my good knee lets me know quickly. I have to be very careful not to limp or I have two very angry knees instead of one. Do you have a physical therapist that worked with you to rehab the other knee? Maybe a few sessions with him or her to work on gait and strengthening both knees would help straighten you out. Beyond that, really focus on not limping and how you're using your cane. I actually can't get a good gait with a cane or a single crutch and usually end up using both crutches when my knee is bad enough to get me limping again.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
Oh yes, absolutely this is possible. When I started using crutches because my knee was in such pain last summer, my good knee "went bad" and hasn't been the same since. If you're not walking normally, you're putting yourself at risk for pain in other places.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
A good thing to do when you have one bad knee healing after surgery is to do PT with stretching and all what can be involved on the good leg too.
We tend to focus to much on only the bad knee and forget the rest of the body.
I have learnt to do same PT with both legs always. Maybe someting to try ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
What Nettan writes here is absolutely correct. Doing an exercise on one side of the body will over time lead the body to deviate from a bilateral blueprint, causing a whole lot of problems. You need to do the same thing on both sides even if the pain is unilateral.

Offline Cazuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
Thanks everyone,
I had been having physio which included both legs but after just having a steroid injection in the operated knee I now realise how painful my good knee has become.. It is as if the tendons behind the knee that stretch down to the calf have tightened up.. I am wearing an ankle weight when not at work to try and see if I can stretch it. I have also been recommended by my physio a Tens machine which arrived yesterday. I am so down with the pain that work also referred me to a pain management doctor who prescribed anti Depressants for nerve pain. With all the side effects.. Well I WONT be taking them.

Caz

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
A ankle weight will put more stress on your knee I am sorry to say. A overdone knee will be even more painful.
Done that myself so know what I'm talking about.
Can you have access to a pool to exercise in, preferable with more hot water ?
That kind of PT will be much more gentle on you.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
My knee is a perfect example of what over compensating will do for you. I have been a amputee from a tramatic accident when I was 6 for my whole life. I have always walked with this one foot on crutches, my amputation is to the hip and I have grafted skin so never could wear a prothesis. I have destroyed my knee and I am only 33 years old. I have grade 3 arthritis so almost time for a new knee. As the others have said it can affect your hips, back, and everything if you walk with the wrong gait or put to much weight only on one side. Sounds like your recovery is very slow going, maybe time to see the OS again.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
What has been most disconcerting to me over the last few months is just how quickly this pain "death spiral" can take over. There have been moments that I've had so much pain just about everywhere in my body that I've wanted to scream. Since all of this has happened it feels like I'm in a straight jacket. At the age of 26 I can barely move. When I started my new postural therapy last week, I was amazed at how many things are wrong. Just about everything you can imagine:

My whole torso is tipped over to the side
My shoulders are rounded forward
My lumber curve is missing
One of my legs is rotated inward and the other outward
My feet are turned outward when I walk
My pelvis is positioned forward but tilted backward
My ankles are bearing weight to the inside
My head is positioned forward of where it should be

Now, with all of these problems, is it surprising that I ache everywhere? When you can't move normally, your muscles weaken and lock up. One problem leads to the next...

Offline raul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21:07 AM »
As you have already been told, Caz, limping can cause a lot of domage to your entire body, especially to your other knee, your hips, lower back and shoulders! I am limping for 15 months now and i have this constant pain in my entire body, i don't even know what to protect first! and i totally feel you, knee always hurts! sometimes i wish i was on an empty field so i can scream all my pain and anger out! all of those body parts you said were not at their normal place.. i am sure it happens to me too! and if you could please tell me how are you dealing with them and what sort of exercises you are doing to get back into a normal position, i would really appreciate it!

Raul

Offline smilez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I had knee arthroscopy in August 2010 however my knee still has pain when I try to squat or lunge. Also, my knee will pop from time to time and if I’m walking it will be very painful. Moreover, two weeks ago there was a sharp pain and when I went to the doctors he told me “there’s a possibility you have a piece of floating cartilage and it my need surgery to remove it”

Does anyone have any advice… it would mean a lot??

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »
Have you had a MRI yet? If not then that would be a good place to start. If it is a floating piece in there it will not go away without surgery, luckily this kind of surgery would be quick and fairly less invasive, as long as that is what they find. Most loose bodies can be seen with MRI, its always good to kind of know what is going on before rushing to surgery. I had surgery on Aug. 2nd 2010, it failed so just had another scope on Jan 12th, still hurting. Good Luck!
Right leg amputee.

Offline smilez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Im waiting to get a MRI but sometimes they can take long to get... do you by any chance know the recovery time for removing floating bodies??
How is your knee doing...  what did you do ???

Offline Cazuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
Thanks all once again for all your comments.
My GP has now referred me to The Muscoskeletal Triage team at my local hospital as he thinks it maybe more than just compensating. However it is now MORE painful than the operated knee...The pain is behind the knee and top of the calf muscle. Grrrrrrrrr Go away Pain.

Caz

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »
Smilez, Most arthoscopic surgeries are pretty straight forward, and removing a floating body is consider a minor surgery. But, that being said surgery is surgery. My first scope in Aug. 2010 was fairly simple they washed out the knee and smoothed down the cartilage. I would say the first week was horrible. Couldn't bare weight on my knee at all and was in lots of pain but, after the first week the surgery soreness began to wear off slowly. I think by 4 weeks out I was doing about the same as I was before surgery. My last scope was more extensive, I had 5 portals, versus the 2 I had the first time. I was in much more pain and literally could barely move for first 2 weeks, then all started to slowly feel better. Unfortunately I have now deemed the 2nd surgery unsucessfull, I am still having lots of pain and poor range of motion. OS says about time to replace, he is trying shots first and if no relief wants to talk about replacement options. So far the shot he gave me has only complicated my issues. I am so swollen and can't bend to even 80 degress, was about 102 before this stupid shot.
Cazuk, You say your pain is behind the knee and all down the calf, Do you have a bulge behind you knee? I had a bakers cyst before this last sugery and my knee would feel very tight in the back and I also had severe pain run down my calf. Might want to read up on Bakers Cyst. But, since they removed the cyst, I still have pain on the jointline in the back of knee, it don't affect my calf now my os said I could be having referred pain, meaning I am having pain in the knee cap but feeling it behind the knee. So who knows.
Right leg amputee.

support