Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: After patella surgery - 14 months out - to remove wires?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline asqua33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
After patella surgery - 14 months out - to remove wires?
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:34:13 AM »
Hello dear friends,
In early January 2010 I had ORIF on my left patella after I fractured it when I fell ice skating.  I've generally had a great result following surgery.  I'm a very active 56-year-old female.  I swim a mile 2-3 times weekly and walk 2.5 miles 2-3 times weekly.  I regained 100% walking ability on a flat grade about 6 months following my surgery.  I'm generally VERY PLEASED with my recovery, but find I have daily pain and stiffness in my knee, and also I feel some movement in the medial side of the knee which causes pain and soreness.  Saw doc 2 weeks ago who told me knee FX was healed perfectly and what I was feeling was wire.  He said he could remove wire but that could not be done arthroscopically and would require full kneecap incision and risks of infection and anesthesia needed to be taken into account.  I think my knee would be much better without the wires but the risks are there.    Has anyone had this experience?  Do you feel better after wires are removed? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:40:59 AM by asqua33 »

support