Author Topic: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?  (Read 114409 times)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: PFR-Knee pain-Who has had this?
« Reply #600 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
Hello everybody,
I am so sorry for not posting in sometime.  Work has been dragging me down.  (And since I do not post what I do for a living I will not get into this).  The only thing I will tell you is that I work in a "sick" building.  It is old and everyone gets sick (I have had more illnesses this year than in the past 4-5 years combined).
I have dedicated this year to helping others and giving back to my community.  With this in mind I have joined an incredible organization.  Flags4fallen (check them out on FaceBook).  I got involved in January.  I ran a half marathon in February (Colchester Half) for a fallen US soldier.  The course, under normal circumstances, is very difficult (possible snow, heavy winds, and hills, hills, and more hills).  This year there was no snow just winds and hills.  Carrying a USA flag against the winds was challenging.  Since there was no shirt nor medal I had a shirt made.  It had the picture of Staff SGT Brandon A Augustus on it. 
When I arrived at the race everyone was thanking me for running on behalf of a fallen soldier and his family.  Current and former military members talked with me and people were taking me picture (I did not understand why).  When we started running I had a plan (no I did not practice running with a flag) to lean the flag pole against my shoulder and keep my arm bent at a 45 degree angle.  I used the other hand to support the flag pole near the base.  (This proved to be comfortable and I ran the entire 13.1 miles like this).
Along the course people would ask if I was tired or needed a break.  Some military members asked if I needed to pass the flag and they would carry it.  (I think they wanted to be a part of my journey).  Other runners around me would say "you can not let the guy with the flag beat you" or "you need to keep up with the guy with the flag."  This was funny since I never considered myself a fast runner.
As I was approaching the final mile (and final hill) I was running out of energy.  I kept on pushing through.  I crossed the finish line in just over 2 hours and 4 minutes (taking off over 6 minutes from last year).  This was a best time for me at Colchester.
Before Colchester Half I ran in my running club's fun run The King of Pain.  It is a 10 mile hilly course.  I have never run the entire 10 miles.  I have never finished the 10 miles without walking 3 times.  I finished with walking only once (0.1 of a mile).  And finished in about 1:34:00 (9:40 pace).  I took off 28 minutes from the previous year (and set a PR for 10 mile run).
I have been working on my speed (treadmill).  I am up to about 8 miles in 1 hour.  Along with this my stride has opened up so I am becoming a more efficient runner.  I am running and walking almost everyday.
In March I ran the Bolton 5 Mile Road Race (very hilly...do you see a theme for my races?) with a friend who had MS.  She wanted to run Bolton but was scared to run this course alone.  She tried to train for Bolton, but the weather and her MS did not allow her to train much.  She was looking for a 13 minute per mile pace.  Since this was the third year running this course I was able to tell her what was coming up and allow her to modify our run when needed (increase pace, decrease pace, walk, or take a break).  We finished the 5 miles in 1 hour (12 minute per mile pace).  I was thrilled to be part of this.
April 1 I ran a half marathon with my wife (Savin Rock Half).  She is coming off an injury and did not train for this run.  Along with this the wind (17 mph with gusts 25 mph) and some hills would not make this an easy course.  My wife had no set time.  Have fun and do not get injured.  Running into the winds, and running uphill into the winds, made the race difficult. 
My wife handled the course like a champion.  She did not get down on herself because of the difficulty.  She kept her intervals going, hydrated, and ate when planned.  It was not her best time but considering the conditions her 12:02 pace was very respectful time.
Today my son and me ran a 5K.  My son is getting over a cold and is all congested.  With a moderate hilly 5K and heavy winds he had difficulty breathing.  We took it slow and steady.  I was hoping for under 42 minutes.  He let me push him the final mile.  36:26 (11:44 pace) was our time.  We celebrated by going out to breakfast at one of his favorite dinners.
At the end of the race the race director held a raffle.  I never win anything during these raffles.  I was hoping to get an entry into one of the half marathons for next year.  When they called out the number for Hogsback Half (in September) I won.  So I added another race to my calendar.
I hope your Saturday was eventful....
Take care,
Mr. F

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #601 on: April 16, 2017, 01:26:21 AM »
Hello everybody,
I had some vacation time so I took this week off of work.  When I do not work my insomnia kicks in.  I decided that I would go for long walks (or multiple long walks) everyday to help me sleep.  Also I will not drive my wife crazy.  (During a mini blizzard she kicked me out of the house and told me I had to go for a walk because my pacing was driving her crazy).
Before I get into my walking e past week I want to give you some detail to a back story that comes back to impact the family this week.  When I first started running, after my third 5k, my son said I would run a half marathon.  My wife and I laughed and thought this is funny.  I can barley make it through 3.1 miles.  I wanted to run a 10k but I could not make it through mile 4.  Months went by and I took part in a 10k and started training for a 10 mile road race.  Again my son said you will be running a half marathon within several months.
Well 3 months later I ran my first half marathon.  My son said see, what did I tell you.  Several months later he told me I would run a marathon.  This time I laughed and said you are crazy.  I just started running half marathons.  I have no plans to run a marathon.  Several months later I was approached by a friend to run a marathon with him.  In 2015 I ran the New York City marathon.
Forward into 2016 and my son says you will run an ultra.  This time I did not laugh at him.  I did not say he was crazy.  I responded I am not planning on participating in one soon.  He smiled and said you see you are going to run an ultra (an ultra is at least 31 miles, or 50k).  All of 2016 went by and he kept telling me within a year you will take part in an ultra.
Bridging the story back to this week, I went out walking in our town and the town next to us.  I would walk for 3, 4, 5, or over 6 hours at a time.  I brought out the old hydration backpack, salt stick, Gus, and granola.  I never planned where I would walk.  I would decide as I walked.  This way every walk was different and spontaneous.  After my week of walking was up I checked my miles.  I had (as of 2:10 pm) 183.4 miles.  Now this number might seem random.  It is not.  It is something I never thought I would do.  If you divide 183.4 by 7 you get 26.2.  This means I averaged a marathon (in distance) per day for 7 consecutive days. 
I reached out to a running friend of mine.  She does insane events, trail runs, 31, 50, or 62 mile runs.  I asked her about ultras in our area and other states.  I am looking for one that is not trails.  I do not need a root, rock, or tree branch destroying my knees.  She told me about two.  One in our state and another about a 6 hour drive.  Since I do not want added expenses I figured looking into our state's ultra.
One issue right off.  I have a half marathon on the day of the ultra.  How am I going to get out of this?  A company is paying for this event.  I have a friend working on getting me out of this half.  The next issue...would there be trails or is it paved?  This is the only paved ultra.  Finally what is the time limit?  If it is under 8 hours I cannot take part in this event.  Total time for the 50K 12 hours.  If all goes well I will be able to sign up for my first ultra on Monday.
This got me thinking.  I read somewhere that less than 1 percent of the population runs a marathon.  What percent runs an ultra?  And to add to this, what percent runs an ultra and a marathon?  (How about in the same year?  I will be running a marathon in October.)
I hope your week was filled with exercise like mine. 
Take care,
Mr. F
PS-after I click on post and shut down my computer I am going to sleep.  My body needs the rest.  Happy Passover and Happy Easter

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #602 on: April 21, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
Hello everybody,
Well over my vacation time I walked the distance of 7 marathons in 7 days.  Since then I have been slowing down my walks, and runs, to allow my body to recover.  During this time I wanted to sign up for my first ultra.  I emailed a friend.  She gave me the run down on too many ultras.  Almost all of them are on trails.  I do not want a trail ultra.  Knowing my luck at the very end of the race I will trip and fall on the smallest item and there will go my entire year.  She did mention one ultra that is paved. 
I was excited.  An ultra on paved roads.  What state is it in?  Wait, it is in our state, cool.  When is it?  April 30.  Oh well maybe next year.  I have a half marathon that day.  And an organization is paying my fee.  I decided to call the person in-charge of my group.  She was able to get in-touch with the person processing the paperwork.  The paperwork has not been submitted yet.  So my entry was not paid.  On Thursday I signed up for my first Ultra.
I will be walking 31 miles on April 30.  Along with this I am dedicating this year to SSGT Brandon A Augustus.  He is the fallen soldier whom I ran the Colchester Half Marathon for.  His spirit and determination will be with me on this race too.
A week after the ultra I have back to back half marathons.  One was suppose to be a date run, but my wife is injured.  So I will be running all alone on Saturday.  On Sunday I will be running an extremely hilly half marathon with my son.
So this is what is new and exciting with me.  I am looking forward to coaching the couch to 5K beginning running group on Saturday (we are a week into our training). 
Take care and keep moving,
Mr. F

Advertisement

support