Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Causes of poor circulation (cold foot) after Patellar Tendon surgery?  (Read 9721 times)

Offline 3peddler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Everyone-

This is my first posting. Last Sunday - I ruptured my patellar tendon in my left knee and had re-attachment surgery on Tuesday. I've been icing my leg and wearing my full length cast. Starting today (one week later), my right foot is starting to get very cold - to the point where I need to put a heating pad on it to keep it warm.

Any ideas? I'm trying to sit in different chairs and change my seating position - but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thank you,

Edward

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
Re: Causes of poor circulation (cold foot) after Patellar Tendon surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Hello and welcome to the RPT club ! you have had a major injury keeping the heating pad on your feet , Your circulation will take time to come back for sure , I am 12 weeks post op and my whole leg was a different color for weeks ,
Hope you progress well , keep in touch !

Rossco 12

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »
Hi, My injury was different to yours, it was a displaced patella fracture,i was in a cast for 7.5 weeks,ankle to thigh,so therefore i had the same problem with circulation, and a freezing cold foot,my OS recommended continual foot pumps whilst the leg was elevated,(moving foot forward as far as it would go and then back) to keep the circulation going.
Hope this helps,and hope you have a speedy recovery.
                                                                           Coral.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:11:43 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline ljones

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »
I am one week post surgery, have the same problem with cold foot, very cold foot. I was VERY uncomfortable. This is what has worked the best after trying multiple ideas. I have a space heater on a chair next to my pull out bed downstairs (until I can get back upstairs).  I put my foot directly in front of the heater on an off all day.  works way better than the heating pad and way better than sticking my foot in hot water.  the heel flex does not help my circulation even though I still do this excercise. I also find  Icing the knee while the foot is in front of the heater works well since the reason for loss of circulation is that all the blood is going to the injury spot and by icing it cools the leg causing less blood to be in that spot and hopefully back down to the foot. I can say that the space heater is the only thing that has kept me somewhat more comfortable.  I wear a sock to avoid burning my foot.
Lisa in Rochester
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:31:45 PM by ljones »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 72
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
Hi

Two newbies to the Ruptured Patella Tendon club.

You should be posting on the following thread ...

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.new;topicseen#new

Having done that, I suggest that you both start reading some of the previous posts on this thread.

You have both sustained very serious injuries, with a very long rehab procedure.

If you wish to read some documentation on the rehab procedures, then let me have your e-mail address.

Cold feet, poor circulation is a constant problem associated with injuries to the leg.   I wear a compression sock, which goes from my foot, right up to my hip.  You are both too early on the road to recovery to reach this stage.

Essential that you keep posting ( on the right KneeGuru thread), lots of buddies to answer your questions.

How did you both sustain your injuries?

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Jkramrisch@aol.com
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Busy-Lizzy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
Hi there, I had the same problem, and I bought myself a pair of these UGG's boots... soo ugly, but at least I got warm feet!

Take care!
1st total patellar tendon rupture:  Sept 3, 2010
Knee operation: Sept 8, 2010
2nd patellar tendon ruptur (mostly): March 11th, 2011