Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long will it take for the swelling to go down. Ihad LR and arthoscopic repai  (Read 4566 times)

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm 3 weeks post op and have swelling!!.  when will the swelling start to go down... Pain is awful...  Any help?

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Hi Linda,
Sorry to hear you are in pain but have come to the right place. Swelling and LR are very common. Rest ice and elevate above your heart.  If you feel there is more than just swelling going on get it checked.  Unfortunately that is about the only advice you will get.. A lateral release takes a fair bit of time to bounce back from.  Be patient ice regularly(make sure to put something between the ice and your skin) and goodluck.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Prop the leg more toward the ankle to help the knee stay straight.  Ankle pumps will still help too.  Swelling from a LR can take a long time to go down.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I had a lateral release on my left knee Dec 30th.  Comparing my 2 knees I still have some swelling but it is not too bad.  I will admit that I have not iced as much as I should have, did ice a lot the first couple of weeks or so.  I also kept it elevated most of the time those same first couple of weeks.  I am still icing and elevating for about an hour or so at night when I am reading before I go to sleep.   Good luck!
6/24/10 Right knee lateral release, partial meniscectomy, bone spur removed
12/30/10 Left knee lateral release, meniscus trim, bone spurs removed
Future TKR's

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thank you!  To 2shotknees..  how is the pain, walking, stairs, activity level, ect.  Are you back to work. How long can you stand on your feet?  Thanks in advance.  Good luck to all of you!

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
The pain has not been that bad overall.  Walking is fine, as long as I don't have a dog at the end of a leash.:)  She still pulls some so it is still kind of difficult to walk her.  I have done some going up the stairs the regular way.  Going down the stairs is still uncomfortable so I am still going down most of the time one foot at a time.  The PT I see said going down the stairs is one of the last things to come.  I am not an extremely active person so I am not much help there.  I do have a recumbent bike at home that I am using again.  Befroe the surgery I was riding it 45 minutes at a resistance level of 4 once a day, occasionally twice a day and so far I have gotten back to 20 minutes at a resistance level of 3 twice a day.  Beside the bike and walking the dog that is the only real exercise I do.  Right now I am doing PT exercises at home.  I do work.  I work at a grocery store stocking shelves and I have been out of work since the day of surgery, Dec 30th.  I am going back to work on Monday, going right back to 40 hours a week.  I was really surprised that my OS is letting me go back full time right away.  I had my right knee done - lateral release - the end of last June and I was out a full 6 weeks and then he let me going back starting out only 4 hour days and gradually getting back to full time after 6 weeks.  I am on restrictions - no kneeling, no bending, no stooping and no squatting for the time being.  This time I can use a step ladder right away.  I was also surprised with that, last time I couldn't use the ladder either until after I had been back to work for 6 weeks.  My biggest complaint with this knee is that if I stand in one spot too long, even several minutes or I have the leg straight out in front of me in bed while reading I get this kind of "locked" feeling and I have to gently move the leg to "unlock" it.  I know this really isn't the right word to use to describe the feeling and when I mentioned it to both my OS when I saw him for a post-op last Monday and my PT they both said that the muscles need to get stronger.  I have noticed that it has happened less today so hopefully they are right.  Don't hesitate to ask any questions.  I'll answer the best I can based on my experiences.     
Future TKR's

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks so much for all the great info.  I will be thinking of you on Monday and hope to hear from you.  I hope it goes well.  Be careful..   Have a wonderful weekend.  TTYS!!

Offline indiefan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Linda!  I had a lateral release and chondroplasty on 12/29/10 which makes me about 1 1/2 months out.  I can tell you that my knee is still swollen however, it is much improved.  Have you started a formal physical therapy program yet?  I started mine about a week after surgery.  My knee was so swollen and sore that I couldn't imagine being able to do anything.  Much to my surprise, not only could I do some of the exercises but my swelling greatly reduced.  I attempted to go back to work a week after the surgery.  I figured I had a desk job and working would be no problem.  I can tell you that after sitting at my desk for two hours, my knee blew up to epic proportions.  I left work on was on Short Term Disability for the 4 weeks.  I just went back to work on Friday and I am glad I was both able and took the time to focus on my knee.  I am finding I still cannot squat fully, going down stairs is a challenge, standing or walking for extended periods of time, and I still cannot put my weight via kneeling on my right knee.  I am happy with my progress and realize full recovery can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months.  From my perspective, recovery from this procedure is all about P.T., elevation, and ice.  Best of Luck-Kris
M.R.I. Rt Knee PFS-Chondromalacia 08/10
P.T. 08-09/10
Cortisone Injection-09-10
Synvisc Injection-10-10
Lateral Release Rt Knee and Chondroplasty 12/10
Diagnosed Grade IV Chondromalacia and DJD

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Linda,  Thanks for the good luck wish regarding going back to work.  It will be interesting.  I am not even sure what I am supposed to do tomorrow at work as the grocery manager is off tomorrow since the Super Bowl is tonight.   I had both surgeries on Thursday, saw the doctor and had the stitches (1 stitch per incision) taken out on Monday and started PT on Tuesday.  The right knee I had PT 12 weeks at 2 times a week.  The doctor wants the same amount of PT for the left knee.  Before the surgery I had about 3 months of PT so I pretty much knew what to expect for PT after the surgery.  Indiefan is right about the formal PT helping the recovery.  I am sure that without the PT I wouldn't be as far as I am mobility wise as I am not in the greatest of shape.  The days I have PT I do the exercises one more time that day and on the days I don't go I do the exercises twice at day at home.  I'll let you know how work goes tomorrow.  I sure hope someone leaves a note for me, if not there is always backstock :)     
Future TKR's

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Kris,

Thanks so much for posting your progress.  It really helps!!!  Yes, I am going to pt.. but I have a huge amount of swelling so its nice to know that its normal..  I can do the exercises but it hurts!  I wonder if they are pushing it some.  All I do is ice and elavate and it is so tiresome.  Tlhe weather is pretty today.. i had no idea this surgery would be so difficult but I appreciate the good news , relief is in sight.. Please continue to update me with your progress... You are at 6 weeks right?  Your pain level is good and back to work.. How many hours can you stand on your feet before pain or additional swelling?  Do you look forward to sports or plan to participate in sports in the future?

To 2shotknees,,, let me know how work goes tomorrow.. Prayers to you. 

Offline indiefan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Linda,

I am at 6 weeks.  I can tell you that the exercises do hurt and some still hurt.  I have found that I can stay pain free for a few hours.  This only recently happened last week.  At the pain scale of 0-10, I now find when the pain is at it's worst, it is only a 1 or a 2.  As far as exercise goes, I was a runner before but I don't believe I will or should return.  I had my second follow-up last week and my surgeon told me my knee cap is shot.  It is riddled with Grade IV chondromalacia and severe osteoarthritis.  He told me I can try to run but believes I will find it too painful, especially with any elevation.  I have been able to use the stationary bike, the elliptical, and the treadmill.  The hardest of the three is actually walking at this point.  I can stand or walk for about 45 minutes or so and then it gets difficult.  Both P.T. and my Surgeon told me that it is okay for there to be discomfort or even slight pain with exercise and therapy, if it elevates or gets extreme it is time to back off.  I do find squatting to be pretty painful and those damn heel slides still hurt.  This is a rough surgery and I was certainly under prepared.  3 to 6 months is a great recovery and I am taking it slow and celebrating daily victories.  I remember how excited I was when I could put on my own pants, tie my own shoes, make my own dinner.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  I am elevated and iced as I type this. 
M.R.I. Rt Knee PFS-Chondromalacia 08/10
P.T. 08-09/10
Cortisone Injection-09-10
Synvisc Injection-10-10
Lateral Release Rt Knee and Chondroplasty 12/10
Diagnosed Grade IV Chondromalacia and DJD

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Well I made it through my first day back to work.  I think that working 6am - 3pm was 1 - 2 hours too long, especially since most of that time, not counting lunch, I was on my feet .  It did kind of stiffen up a few times but I moved around and it would loosen up.  I was a good girl and actually took an ice pack with me to work and at lunch I propped my leg up on a chair and set the ice pack on the knee.  The longer I was there the achier(sp?) the knee got and it looks like it did swell some, luckily not a whole lot.  All I did was work on backstock.  I did use the step ladder a few times, that really didn't hurt at all.  I did no kneeling at all since the OS said I can't yet.  Kind of hard to do bottom shelves when you can kneel or squat, right now I kind of put what I can to at least get some product out.  I got home a little bit after 3pm and I let the dog in, put ice pack I took to work in the freezer to refreeze and got a new one out and so I am on the couch with my left leg propprd up with an ice pack on it.  I'll do my exercises later tonight after dinner because I have PT tomorrow after work.  All in all I think it well fairly well, the knee could have really misbehaved.   It is not fun getting old! 
Future TKR's

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Congrats on making it back to work!  That is wonderful news at only 4 weeks post op!!!  You are doing fantastic, probably better than most!!  I can't imagine standing on my feet that long so that is a great testimony.  I hope you have another good day tomorrow..

To Kris,  I am sorry that your recovery is a little slower but sounds like this surgery is tough!!  I don't feel alone any longer and appreciate knowing it does get better.  I went to the vitiam store today and bought SuperCissus....  Ever heard of it???  It is a joint formula... I got a testimony from someone who played basketball and had a torn mensicui and said they avoidrd surgery as well as a guy from our local gym that has a back problem and both swear by it...  I will send my results after a couple of weeks...  It is more for the soft tissue joints such as knees and I'm willing to try herbs, or vitiams if it helps the recovery time.. I am hoping to return to sports. volleyball.  I can hardly walk at the moment but I am holding out hope... did anyone have problems with tingling or numbness in the foot after surgery?  I wonder if they cut a nerve...??  Oh well, enough for now..  Thanks for the continued info and updates. 

Offline linda11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Wondered how Kris and 2shot knees were doing?  I feel better a week later .  I;m not sure if the supercissis is working yet but I'm still taking it.  I understand it takes atleast two weeks to work.  I was able to stand for longer periods of time and the swelling has greatly reduced.. I don't know if its the SC or concidence?  I am thrilled to see the swelling go down. I see that as a sign of getting better.  Any news from you guys.. Ever;y week seems to make a difference.

Thanks for the updates

Offline 2shotknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Linda, the knee is holding up rather well, thanks for asking.  It is still a bit swollen but not too bad.  I am still taking my ice pack to work and icing during my lunch.  It will still hurt every now and then, usually not even enough to take an advil for.  I think it was Thursday that it did get pretty achy.  I have worked 8 days in a row, about 8 hours or so a day and I am finally off tomorrow.  Yeah!  Although I do have PT tomorrow afternoon.  Using the ladder at work is fine, but it really is a pain in more ways than one not being able to kneel.  The only thing that still is bothersome about the left knee is that I still get that "locking" feeling which I really don't remember getting with the right knee and if I did it was just the first few weeks.  The right knee I occasionally had a feeling that the knee was going to give out on me, but that lasted only the first 3 or 4 weeks and only a handful of times during those first few weeks after surgery and I had that same feeling a couple of times with the left knee but I haven't had that feeling for at least a couple of weeks now.  I go back to the doctor on March 30th and if this "locked" feeling is still happening I am going to ask him what else it could be other than just needing to get the quad stronger.
What is supercissis?  Glad to hear that you and the knee are doing a lot better. 
Suzanne   

Future TKR's

support