Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: lost quadricep muscle  (Read 4992 times)

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
lost quadricep muscle
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
I'd like to know if anyone lost quadricep muscle that made doing there daily routine and exercises tough to do.
I lost over 2.5 cm of quadrceip muscle.  I know that is common after knee surgery especially off ACL, Meniscus Surgery.
If you did loose quadricep muscle, how then were you able to do single leg squats, bend and squat properly etc.  My quadricep is so shrunk that it wont allow me to bend and then obviously the good leg takes over. 

What are people doing that suffer from this? 
Like the saying says time heals all wounds??   How does the quadricep come back if you cant even isolate the bad leg.  The quadricep doesnt allow me to get down into a squat strance

Please Help

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: lost quadricep muscle
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »
Get a good PT to help you. Maybe e-stim would help you to fire the muscle again.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »
A good PT would definitely help. You have to start small at the very beginning and work up to squats. You start with things like quad sets and then move to straight leg raises and then go from there.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
I'm 7 months out of ACL Surgery.  I think SLR and quad sets are by gone days. .  Arent those exercises designed to retrain a non working muscle?
My muscle fires its just WEAK

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 79
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
I don't think so, SLRs and wallslides etc are very good for strengthening quads which are just weak - I had a scope a couple of weeks ago, my quads never stopped working.   They are the mainstay of all knee-related physio from what I can tell.  My physio has me doing all sort of exercises to get the quads strong as well as static cycling (with as much resistance as is possible) and leg presses in the gym.  If you can, try the stepper and rowing as well.  Such good all round exercise.  Just do everything you can that is leg focused, low impact and doesn't hurt!  Does your gym have a trainer?  Maybe have a PT session or two?

Why not try to do a 100 SLRs a day for the next month, as well as the other exercises - not going to hurt only help I think :)

And as others have said, why don't you pay for a few sessions with a proper sports physio if you are not doing so as from every one of your posts, this seems a major issue for you  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:30:12 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
Partial meniscectomy, mfx not needed - smooth scar tissue over OC lesion, shaving of grade III defect lateral aspect of patella
2nd scope on 16/12/10, chondroplasty & Durolane jab
New MRI shows lat meniscus tear & other stuff
Ostenil plus jab

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »
I lost my quad too, I'm trying to find it again. I also lost my hamstrings, my leg is now all jiggly, like the underside of my arms were before I was non weight bearing and using crutches. Now, my arms are all nice and toned, but my right leg could probably put an eye out with all that jiggle. I'm not allowed to fire my hamstrings at all though cause of the PCL repair, but oh well, not much I can do about that, find yourself a good physio to help with getting it back, have them show you what exercises to do.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
SLRs and quad sets should never be bygone days - these are the foundation on which you build the rest of your quad strengthening program. If a regular SLR is too easy, add weights to toughen it up. If you can't do these things well, it's going to be very hard for you to build muscle bulk.

There are a ton of things you can do to rebuild the quad, but you need to work with a physiotherapist on a progressive program that will first allow you to regain strength, and then build muscle. There is no magic fix for this - I know because I'm there myself right now. It's slow and frustrating, but stick with it and you'll get there. I would really recommend working with a professional PT on this, as they will guide you through the process and tell you exactly which exercises will work best depending on the current state of your muscle.

To give you an idea of what my PT has me doing, I'm six months out of ACL surgery, and still do 150 SLRs (with 10lb weights) and 1,000 quad flexes every single day. Other quad building exercises include squats, squats on the wobble board, single-leg dips, three different kinds of leg press machine, leg extensions (low weight, high reps to avoid damage to the graft), wall slides, lunges, and a ton of functional quad-building exercise like cycling, snowshoeing, Stairmaster, Summit trainer etc. I usually try to do at least two hours of rehab work every day (an hour in the gym at lunchtime, an hour on the bike before/after work) unless I'm actually spending the day doing something physical like hiking or cycling. My quad had about 4cm of atrophy at its worst point, but is now back to just 1.5cm smaller than the good leg. I would anticipate it taking at least another two or three months, maybe longer, before it will be back to normal - and that's if I keep rehab at the current level.

There really isn't a quick fix to rebuilding muscle. It's a long, hard slog that is often frustrating and has frequent periods when nothing seems to be happening. The one thing I would stress is how much having a good PT helps; even if you can't see them as often as you would like (I ran out of insurance coverage in August, unfortunately) they can give you a plan to follow and tell you how to recognize when you're ready to move to the next step.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

bean11

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 03:55:53 AM »
hi all  ill tell you onething that got all my upper muscles firing again, it was 5 days of intensive tourisum yes all people that know me noticed a massive change in less than one week,(16 weeks post-op) due to me getting out  on plenty of stairs some rock uneven paths that went up and down etc, if U dont use it U lose it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:58:46 AM by bean11 »

bean11

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »
I CRUTCH WALKED heaps of kms in 5 days

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:03:22 AM »
I'm 7 months out of ACL Surgery.  I think SLR and quad sets are by gone days. .  Arent those exercises designed to retrain a non working muscle?
My muscle fires its just WEAK

Ah...you didn't say you were that far out from surgery in your first message. BUT...even though, if your muscles are that weak, you still have to start at the beginning. You can't just skip to squats if your muscle isn't there. It's good that your muscle fires, but you still start at the beginning and strengthen it gradually. You want to do it carefully so you don't re-injure. Having a PT/trainer to guide you through it is such a great help.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline soccer15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
when your sitting down just squeeze that quad muscle and hold for 10 seconds and do it as many times as it takes for your muscle to be very tired.
You also can do straight leg raises. lay on your back bend your good knee, and then lift the bad leg up as straight as you can make it to make a 45 degree angle in the air. I had ACL surgery too and those are what I did before i could do all the squatting exercises.

hope this helps
Good Luck!
Dec 20 2011 Cortisone Injection R Knee
May 11 2011 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R knee
Oct 10 2010 Sprain the the ACL graft & Bad Bone bruise to femur and Tibia R knee
June 11 2010 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R Knee
Nov 11 2009 ACL Reconstruction (hamstring autograft)
R Knee

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
hi lost quad, me too. i have lost 2 inches since the start of my 3 surgeries.  My last surgery being on 12-21-10, with a PKR and LR.  i have been up and moving around much better than expected, all except that quad muscle gives me alot of trouble.  I can only do leg lifts with the help of the other leg, but progress has been seen.  hope this helps.

take care.
mamalama

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
Thank you all for the responses.  Yes Im seeing a PT but on a limited basis due to no insurance.  My quad isnt allowing me to lower my good leg down that far and can not do a single leg squat.  When I do a doble leg squat the Quad muscle VMO just cuts right out (due to being weak I guess) 

So I'm 7 months out of ACL Surgery and 2 months out of a clean up surgery and now I found the right PT that says that I need to focus on my SLR and partial squats with squeezing a ball.   She even told me when I was doing the Leg Press, that my quad isnt fully there when doing that exercise. 

Just so frustrating that I didnt find someone who knew what to do right from the beginning.  Now I hope the quad will come around someday.  Hope by the end of 2011 for sure

Is it possible that i'm wearing out my knee components with this weak quad?

Offline reagan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 03:02:31 AM »
I am new to this and saw this topic. I am 11 years out of both my knee ACL repairs. Both knees.  I had a hard time getting the muscles to fire but eventually they did an OK job. I say ok because they are not the same as they were at all. Even now i try flexing and it is hard to flex and i don't have much definition despite the amounts of squats, running, biking that i do. My hamstrings look good and my butt but i think its because those muscles take over when i do my squats. I have cellulite all over my quads and its driving me insane. I do everything  i am supposed to do and it just wont disappear or even slightly disappear. I am guessing my muscles need to fire better. How can i do this and is anyone else having that issue?  I can do one leg squats easily and anything others can do that have had no surgery so the strength is there so i am lost. 

support