Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: quadricep shrinkage after knee surgery  (Read 4869 times)

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
quadricep shrinkage after knee surgery
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »
Does anyone out there have the same problem as me.   Anyone have there quadrciep shrink on them after having knee surgery.  It sucks cause having lost over 2 cm of quad muscle from the surgical leg compared to good leg, obviously it can make things difficult till the muscle comes back.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
Re: quadricep shrinkage after knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
A couple of months past my surgery (long time ago) I had a 6 inch difference between my thigh circumference. 4 months of crutches and a failed surgery. It took 10 months of PT to get even a close approximation of the normal muscle mass back. Now after injury #3, I think I'm losing quad mass due to limping and such.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »
Quad atrophy after an injury or surgery is very common.  It does make building it back up a bit of a challenge.  You can also get the muscles strong, but still have them a bit smaller than the other leg.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Online Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
  • Knee pain go away never come back again!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I had surgery on my right knee over 13 months ago and my right quad is smaller then my left and go to the gym 3 times a week and only do lower body exercises and my right quad is nice and firm and was soft and felt like jelly a few months after my surgery. I think I have also lost about 2cm compared to my left quad.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFS/AF & Maltracking
18/07/14 Anterior interval release (AIR) 
05/09/13 Botox injection into tensor fascia lata
25/01/13 Heavy fall
30/03/10 Cortisone injection into medial side
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
23/04/09 Cortisone injection into lateral side
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
Do any of you have or had trouble with doing a single leg squat because of it?  I still cant do a single leg squat and it sucks because Im not sure how effective it will help the leg if your doing double leg squats.   Of course that makes jogging not possible because of the limp involved and getting down high stairs a problem.

Any out there with theses situations?

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »
I had that for a while after my last surgery.  It would cause the knee to buckle at times.  Patience, PT and hard work at home got the muscles stronger.  It takes time and usually is tougher if the muscle is rather "squishy".  If you are in PT you can ask about e-stim which can help retrain the quads how to fire properly.  That seems to be the hardest part, once they are firing more correctly they get stronger.  It is mind over matter to a degree too.  Think about how you want the muscles to work and work to get them to do it. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »
I'm 7 months out of surgery for ACL/Meniscus
I'm 2 months out of scar tissue clean up Surgery
I dont think an E-stim will help.  It re-educates the muscle and it was primarily used when i couldnt do a sLR 6 months ago.
I still cant do a single leg squat, jog normal and get down high stairs.  Anyone else have this problem or did? 
I know loosing over 2-3 cm of quad muscle doesnt help.  How will it get better if cant do a single leg squat? 

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
My original TPF was almost three years ago and after nearly five months of Nwb the leg that ran a sub 2 hour half-marathon on was like a battery chicken in comparison to my left (formerly weaker) leg. I have had periods of nwb after more surgery and also plenty of time using a cane because of pain and muscle weakness but with lots of physio have built it back to almost the same size as non-operated leg.

I started doing hydrotherapy a few weeks ago as quads need rebuilding again since latest surgery but can't put excessive load on my new cartilage yet. Its great, I had several sessions with a physio to teach me the exercises (essential) but over the xmas period can do some solo sessions and today for the first time managed to even get slightly out of breath for the first time in almost three years.

You must get professional guidance and don't overdo it, you will be surprised how tired you get just walking around in deepish water depending on how weak your muscles have got, I have also been given balance exercises to sort out posture problems as a result of not walking normally for almost three years which are also surpringly difficult  :o
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline moo in space

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
After reading these bloggs all seem negative, is there any hope....
so im doomed to a skinny little leg in the middle and one side,

Ne gud news re quad loss, has had surgery 7 days ago and my left thigh is double my right in circum, and to be honest a little painful due to pressure on muscles, having dull knarly pain traversing from swelling to hip joint when lying down and resting, if rotational movement by the smallest amount the by god its quite reasonable amounts pain, wakes me up etc.. not the worse pain i felt.
How long does it take to shrink due to excessive swelling, should i do something different.. or just exercise and 4get the pain and keep it as strong as poss as quick as poss....  :'(

Online Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
  • Knee pain go away never come back again!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
Hi Again,

I do find it harder to do a single leg sqaut on my right knee then I do with my left due to the quad be smaller then my left quad. I cannot really do squats as it hurts the bottom of my right knee thats swollen after having my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed and now have to deal with scar tissue in my right knee thats prevents me from running, squatting and kneeling.

I am going to work more on my right quad in the New Year to get it around the same size as my left quad and knowing my luck get it strong again and then end up with a 2nd scope if conservative treatments fail. I really want to be able to go out jogging again and kneel and squat with less pain.

Happy Christmas by the way.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFS/AF & Maltracking
18/07/14 Anterior interval release (AIR) 
05/09/13 Botox injection into tensor fascia lata
25/01/13 Heavy fall
30/03/10 Cortisone injection into medial side
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
23/04/09 Cortisone injection into lateral side
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline over40knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »
I lost about and inch and a half after my micrfracture surgery.  During my home therapy I did countless SLR beginning with no weight and then slowly adding 1/2 pound a week.  There is still a subtle difference but the knee was nowhere near normal in comparison to the opposite knee since 2007.

Not sure of your therapy, but I did a lot of SLR's with toe straight up and pointed at the 2 oclock position.  Since then I've graduated to the use of a total gym and my strength is very similiar to the "good" knee. 

Endurance is another thing....

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 02:03:32 AM »
The most difficult part is the patience it takes to rebuild the quads.  It can take a very long time, depending on the initial atrophy.  Swelling can make the quads shut down some too, so doing your best to keep that in check will help to.

Moo - there are many positive stories out there, but they don't tend to end up here.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline over40knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
I have found that if I feel that like I am "regressing"...then I take an extra day or two off from my own PT.

I come back better than I initially felt before I began to "regress". 

Hope that makes since. 

I still get some soreness and stiffness behind the knee...sorta just below the crease and in the middle.  I don't think it's anything to do with a failed microfracture in my opinion..just still lacking on endurance.

My PT informed me that I had very tight hamstrings and calfs, something that I feel contribute to the symptoms behind the knee.  I've worked tirelessly on stretching and I can say that I am making progress.

Peace.

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
Moo

The only thing that dooms any of us to anything is level of pain and degree of residual damage, if what ever surgery has 'worked' then with correct guidance and perseverance you will get back mobility, strength and endurance over time.

It maybe that you won't ever fully recover and it may mean trying a new sport/ exercise because the one you did can't be done anymore, That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. I was months away from my black belt in Shotokan karate but I will never be able to train again, it would put far too much strain on the knee, its a shame but I intend to get on with what I can do and not feel bitter about what I can't. It doesn't get you anywhere and helps no one.

Merry Xmas and really hope that next year is a happier year for all
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

support