Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: X-Ray report is mumbo jumbo.. can anyone interpret please??!!  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
X-Ray report is mumbo jumbo.. can anyone interpret please??!!
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
I have just had my 12wk follow up X-Ray today, following Tibial Tubercle Transfer/Osteotomy (TTT) and LR, which was done at the start of Sept 2010.

I have had major set backs to my recovery, including Femoral Nerve Injury recently discovered by EMG testing, severe Quad (particularly VMO) atrophy, ongoing subluxations due to muscle imbalance and at 12 wks only have 30 degrees passive flexion and still require crutches to ambulate. I also have suspected Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, although my Neurologist, withdrew this suspicion and said it was not CRPS/RSD only 5 days ago as I didnt have all the symptoms. He has not seen this latest X-Ray report.
I would be so grateful if someone could interpret the report for me please.

XRAY REPORT:

There is interval development of numerous subtle subarticular lucencies involving the distal left femur, patella and left proximal tibia over the medial aspect and features are strongly suspicious of reflex sympathetic disuse dystrophy. In addition there are subtle cresentic lucencies involving the femoral condyle in the subarticular region. Suggest further evaluation with bone scan +/- MRI. Joint effusion noted. The left tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joints are held in alignment with well preserved joint spaces.

What are subarticular lucencies?
What are cresentic lucencies?
What is the femoral condyle?

Any comments would be appreciated!! 

12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
Re: X-Ray report is mumbo jumbo.. can anyone interpret please??!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Hi there

Can't offer any specifics, but the femoral condyle is the femur (the long thighbone) where it kind of bulks into two rounded sections to pivot against the tibial surface. You have a medial and lateral condyle. I think the lucencies refer to how the image changes on MRI and X-rays - the shading/colour/contrast is termed different things relating to what they may indicate. At a complete layman guess your lucencies indicate changes to the area under your articular cartilage - probably to do with the possible RSD. Basically the bone isn't happy. Thats why they are suggesting an MRI and bone scan to look at the changes in more detail - the good word is subtle I guess. Early stage? You've also got some joint swelling but good joint space preservation (this is good news!)

Hope your OS takes more notice of you now....

Good luck

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: X-Ray report is mumbo jumbo.. can anyone interpret please??!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Lottie!
Having the diagnosis of CRPS means no one wants to touch me now. Even my OS is using this as a good reason to avoid having to do anything else to me. Dont really know if that's a good or bad thing!
I did question him about the 'cresentic lucencies' and he said its basically very small holes in the bone. He said the good news was at least the tibial tubercle has almost healed. Yay for the small victories.  :)
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation