Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to stop limping  (Read 3950 times)

Offline LenaKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How to stop limping
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:15 AM »
Hi all - six weeks ago I had my first lateral dislocation. Thanks to PT, laser, and kinesio tape I am recovering well and no longer need a brace at home. However I can't stop limping! When does the limping go away? My ROM is still 90 and the PT says I don't roll off the toes enough and walk on a bit of a bent knee. Any tips or advice on this? Thank you!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 17
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: How to stop limping
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:38:46 AM »
Well, keep working that ROM for sure. Work on getting your heel to butt.

Try counting in your head when you walk so you don't think about it and just walk how your body knows to walk and also to force it to a cadence so you don't favor one leg over the other.

Try walking on the treadmill.

Best advice ever: walk the way you want to walk. Its your leg, you control it, it doesn't control you. It sounds simple, but walk the way you want to walk.

Congrats on ditching the brace.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline LenaKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
Thank you! How is your recovery going? I still can't find just a sleeve to wear around my kids and dog just for protection. They all seem restrictive and make me limp more than wearing nothing. The leg is weak so anything restrictive seems to make it move less natural. Got my ROM to 97 today going to the ortho on Wednesday for a check and will post more then. Have you done the kinesio tape and laser? Very helpful for me, even though both ortho and PT did not think it would be.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 17
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
My recovery is going relatively uneventful, thanks for asking. Just takes time for the soreness and swelling to settle down, but otherwise good. I haven't picked up a sleeve yet either, as I'm hoping I won't want it, but just something I'm considering if I feel like I want the warmth and cushion when down on my knees or mountain biking.

I've done taping before but not laser, I'm not familiar with it. The taping seemed to help when I was younger to help keep the kneecap in place, but it wasn't really a long-term solution for me as it didn't correct the underlying issue I had going on and it's not like I was going to walk around with tape on my knee for the rest of my life.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
You'll also find that your limp gets better with more ROM and strengthening your quads again. I went through several strange gaits as I was getting quad strength back after my surgery. There was the bent knee gait and there was the one where I felt like I couldn't put my weight on my leg until I "locked" my knee so it wouldn't buckle. Just keep strengthening and practicing.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled