Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: total knee replacement>paraneal nerve stretch>drop foot  (Read 1484 times)

Offline cori

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
total knee replacement>paraneal nerve stretch>drop foot
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
Hi...This is my first time ever in a forum so I hope I am doing this right

Is there anyone out there that had their paraneal nerve stretched during a total knee replacement that resulted in foot drop?  I had  my surgery June 22 and from what I have been told it could take up to 6 mos. for this to heal.  I have an AFO for my shoe to aid me in walking but last week my toes started to curl under when I wear my shoe and it is driving me insane!!  Has anyone else had this happen....what else might I expect to happen before it heals? 

Thank you for your help
Cori

Offline foot drop in So Ca

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: total knee replacement>paraneal nerve stretch>drop foot
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »
Hi Cori,

Sorry to hear about your problem with foot drop.  In January of this year (2010) I fell going down a dark stairway and dislocated my knee, shattered my tibia (plateau tibia fracture), and in the process stretched my peroneal nerve so badly that I have foot drop.  Over 8 months later there has been no change.  I wear an articulated AFO during the day and a nighttime AFO when I sleep.  My toes started curling under after about 2 months.  Last week my dr. told me the chances of the nerve coming back are very slim.  I had an EMG in February and the nerve showed no response.  I really hope that your nerve recovers.  From what I understand from my dr. and PT, it could take anywhere from 6-12 months before it recovers.  It won't happen all of sudden but gradually, and always from the top down, i.e., you'll feel stimulation towards the knee before you will in your toes.  I had a reputation of being a shoe princess.  I had to give away all of my shoes & boots and only wear sneakers because the AFO is so wide that I can't wear anything else.  But I almost lost my leg so am grateful that I didn't.

Does anyone else out there have a future with foot drop?  How are you dealing with it?  It's still very new for me.

Good luck to you Cori.