Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long do i have to wait for an mri after acl tear?  (Read 6935 times)

Jimbo_R

How long do i have to wait for an mri after acl tear?
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »
Hi, any help or information would be very much appreciated!

2 and a half weeks ago i was playing football when a bad challenge came in on my knee.  It swelled up straight away so I went to A&E, had an X-Ray when they realised I had had internal bleeding in my knee (which i had to have 60ml of blood drained).  They then told me this was due to an ACL Tear.

4 days later I had an appointment with an Orphopedic Surgeon who then said I'll need an MRI scan to see how bad the tear is, and if there's any damage to my cartilage. 

So i was just wondering how long you have to wait for an MRI scan...because I haven't really been told much so I've just been looking on the internet for answers. 

I mean, do you have to wait until the swelling goes down completely??? Or is it just when they can fit you in for an MRI??? 

I'm just a bit stumped because I don't know what's happening or how bad my injury is.  However, I am going to my see my GP tomorrow but would also like to hear off anyone who's torn their ACL before and can help answer my questions...or give me some advice as you would have already been through the same experience.  Thanks guys.

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: How long do i have to wait for an mri after acl tear?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »
Hi Jimbo,

I think it's a pretty long wait for an MRI on the NHS..I was put forward for one today (following surgery 6 months ago) and my surgeon said it can take between 6 and 8 weeks to get slotted in.  If I was in your position I might think about getting an MRI privately so you know what you're dealing with quicker.  Good luck  :)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Jimbo_R

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply Anniehine.

Yes I have been thinking about going privately but I wasn't too sure if I have to wait for the swelling to go down...(as I dont know whether the swelling affects the images of the MRI)???.  Thanks again.

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 62
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
I had my first MRI with a pretty swollen knee (in UK but privately) - I don't think it makes a lot of difference, I suspect most MRI'd knees have some degree of swelling (MRI images are computer generated, little different to an X-ray which is a picture).  Ask your GP for advice and also where to have privately (the cost can vary a lot). 

You did pretty well to see an OS so quickly (can be up to 18 weeks on the NHS).  Otherwise, can you call the OS's secretary to ask?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
Partial meniscectomy, mfx not needed - smooth scar tissue over OC lesion, shaving of grade III defect lateral aspect of patella
2nd scope on 16/12/10, chondroplasty & Durolane jab
New MRI shows lat meniscus tear & other stuff
Ostenil plus jab

Jimbo_R

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply Vickster, every bit of info I get is a great help!

And I can't really ask the OS's secretary because I got the injury while I was away from home (some 200 miles away from where I live), so the OS said they'd get in contact with my GP to organise the MRI.  My doctors surgery have had the A&E report through from the hospital I was in but still haven't received the X-Rays.......... ::)