Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 146552 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #930 on: August 18, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
I'll keep it brief, but here's a four-year update (has it really been that long?)

Knee is awesome. No issues, no complaints, withstands ridiculous amounts of abuse. Notable achievements this year include a successful summit and ski descent of Mount Baker (11,000ft), Whistler Tough Mudder, and a new addiction to freeride mountain biking. My skiing has now relocated almost entirely to the backcountry which means that a typical day includes around 5,000 feet of fully loaded climbing as well as the descents.

When I'm engaged in an activity, I never think about the fact that I once had a "bad" knee. In fact I favour the other knee, which these days is far more grouchy than its operated counterpart.

It was worth it.
So awesome. You're a rockstar!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #931 on: July 25, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
I know it's been several years since anyone posted here... but I've read through this so many times through my ACLr rehab (relatively junior at 15 weeks and counting), I felt I should say just how incredibly helpful it's been. It's honest about the many ups and downs on the way. It doesn't make you feel like you should be having a pain free, plain sailing, spring right back into shape recovery, and if you're not you're doing something wrong. But it's also positive and shows that there's light and normality at the end of the tunnel.
Snowy, you're unlikely to read this, but if you do, here's a big big thank you. Hope your knee operation is now a distant memory, and that you are enjoying skiing and all snow related things to the max.
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 349
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #932 on: July 25, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
Snowy recently posted a summary/update. If you click on her user name in a post, you can view all her posts from most recent :)

Here you go http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=27251
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
More tears and wear, scope planned in Jan 2019 to tidy up

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #933 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
Thank you so much!

Sounds like she’s doing well- great to see! :)
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #934 on: October 25, 2018, 06:41:53 AM »
BornToRun - here I am. :) It's true that I don't check back very often these days, but happily for the best of reasons - my ACLr is still holding up amazingly well, and while both my knees continue to have the tedious PFS issues that I will have to continue to manage more actively as I get older (I'm 42 now) I have never had a moment's regret on the ACL reconstruction. It wasn't an easy road but I am so incredibly thankful that I stuck it out and can continue to make the most of all the amazing outdoor adventures that I love so much.

Thank you, too, for your comment. It means more than I can say to hear that this diary is providing the same kind of reassurance that I once very much needed myself. The KneeGeeks community was such a huge support to me when I was going through my surgery and reconstruction, and so much of that was about realising that all the ups and downs and difficulties were a totally normal and expected part of recovery. Keeping the diary was tremendously cathartic for me at the time - it helped so much to write all of it out and share it with a community that really understood what I was going through - and I am so very glad that leaving it out there as a record is helpful to other people who are now going through that same experience. I wish you all the very best for your recovery, and as the wisest person who advised me during mine said - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Strength and determination are important, but patience is the key. I wasn't always very good at the patience part, but it was definitely worth it in the long run.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #935 on: November 01, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
Snowy, brilliant to see you back with good news! You deserve every bit of it. The amount of work you've put into your recovery and the strength of mind to overcome the ups and downs of PFS are staggering. That's another thing that's been incredibly helpful about the diary: warts and all honesty, but also the chin up, get on with it, it's all worth it in the end attitude.
And yes, the patience... I'm not great at it either. I don't do even a quarter of the of the intense physical activity you do, but pre injury I was always zipping around at a million miles an hour, always on my feet, always doing something, and yes, exercise too- a decent amount of running, regular gym classes, the more limited skiing once a year etc. I hated having that all taken away from me, even temporarily. I just didn't know who I was anymore, and I couldn't see light at the end of the tunnel.
I don't have the PFS to deal with luckily for me, but my short and relatively weak hamstrings (even pre injury) have been a real issue. The surgeon tried to use just one hamstring tendon but it was too thin so he went for two- which I'm grateful for because I obviously want a strong graft. Coupled with pre-existing valgus knee, which was already much more pronounced in the injured leg (the physio spotted that in my old running gait analysis print out!!) a sensitive fat pad, and not a lot of natural muscle mass, that meant even proper walking gait was an age in coming. I still have a small limp when tired or after the gym now, at 6 1/2 months. Others may not notice it, but I do. This isn't meant to be a massive moan by the way. I am incredibly lucky to have an amazing physio whom I'd trust with my life, great private insurance through work, and a brilliant and supportive husband. And I like exercise! So I'm ploughing at it. And I'm nothing if not bloody minded. I remind myself that you got through it and with such brilliant results.The light at the end of that tunnel is there, even if out of sight during more difficult times. So thank you again, and very very best of luck with everything. You really, really deserve it!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:34:22 AM by BornToRun »

support