Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: did i retear my meniscus  (Read 2497 times)

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
did i retear my meniscus
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
i had a partial lateral menisectomy 6 weeks ago on my left knee and everything was healing fine until 2 and a half weeks ago when the step i was using fell over as i was doing stepups and i fell with it on my operated leg.  since then, when i do knee falls going outward, my knee pops as it comes up, and when i sit with my knee bent in front of me and lean it in toward my crotch, there is a very sharp pain at exactly the same spot i had pain prior to my surgery. is there a possibility i retore my lateral meniscus?  that would really suck!
any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:01:08 PM by guam »
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline Ilya

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: did i retear my meniscus
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
Is it swollen? If not then there is still hope you just aggravated the area a bit...

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
ya.  it swells up a lot, but i can only ice it 2x a day.  before and after work. it seems to swell more when i sit too long
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:59:33 PM by guam »

Offline Ilya

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
give it a few more weeks, if it doesnt get better maybe you should get another MRI...

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
Hi Guam,

I have to say that after my first menisectomy I was going really well and then 7 months later I got a pain and swelling in the same knee and yes I had torn it again.  I agree with the other poster 6 weeks is not long enough to rule out post operative swelling - could be the hot weather has caused swelling deep in the knee which will never be quite as it once was but there is not a tear.  As you know discoid meniscus are rubbish quality (there should be a government agency for them!) and they fray and tear more easily so another tear is not impossible and could happen quite easily.

Hope you are going okay apart from this after we last posted.

Sleepylawyer
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:45:43 AM »
my primary doctor is on vacation for a couple of weeks right now, so I can't get the referral to se an OS until after July 22.  I'll keep working my pt and icing and hope for the best, but if it's the same by then, I'll start my path to another mri.  It takes an additional 2 weeks after my primary's referral just to see an os and then another 2 weeks to get the mri appointment, so I got about 6 weeks before I can even get another mri.  That gives my knee time to heal. 
As it is, I'm able to do most things, but surfing hurts too much to do right now.  That's the whole reason I got the surgery.  That and snowbaording.  Just sucks that it feels exactly the same now as prior to the surgery.  3 weeks ago, it felt better.  Oh well.  Keep on workin those knees people.

BTW, thanks for the support!  always good to know that there are people out there who can empathize
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:48:03 AM by guam »

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
my string of bad luck continues.  i was riding a moped the other day and when it wouldn't start, i had to use the kickstart.  it took me about 20 tries to get it started on my right knee, which was operated on 2 years ago and just has never been right since they discovered the torn up articular cartilage.  but it's always been bearable. 
anyway, since the moped incident, my knee has been swollen and it just won't go down.  it's  lot of pain just to bend my leg past 100 degrees,  the top part of my lap on the outside, where the knee meets the femur is the root of the pain and the swelling, but the whole knee is fat.  hoping it's just a muscle strain.
anyone experience this? right now, i'm on 2 painful knees and i'd hate to think i need surgery on both.