Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: lateral release and tibial tubular transfer  (Read 1582 times)

Offline gabster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
lateral release and tibial tubular transfer
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
Hi all....I am new to this forum and i have a few questions i hope someone can help me with.
I am 51 and had the above surgery 6 months ago.
I have always been very active and healthy, but i have to admit i am not doing as well as i hoped. I continue to have swelling around the knee and walk with a limp. My foot seems to be dragging now, hope i havent got foot drop. I have done heaps of physio, but am still unable to climb stairs with this knee  as there appears to be very little feeling under the kneecap. I also cant push anything with my foot either
Can anyone tell me what the e xpected recovery time for this surgery is? i have heard some people say 8months....but would love to know how others are coping especially in my age group. many thanks
2006 arthroscopy
2010 lateral release/tibial tubular transfer

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: lateral release and tibial tubular transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Hi,

Do you have the ability to move your foot independently of your leg?  meaning...if you sit with your leg out in front of you (on the sofa) can you move your foot forward and back/side to side..Move all your toes? If you are having any issues moving your foot/toes get back to the OS ASAP.  If there is any chance it is footdrop your best chance of getting it reversed is to get treatment quick. 

OR  It very well could be that you just have a strength issue.  You need to regain a lot of strength before you are able to go up/down stairs or kick something.

As for recovery...I was told anywhere between 6 and 12 months.  It is going to be different for each person.    The biggest part of the recovery is getting your strength back...it takes a lot longer then you would think.

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline gabster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: lateral release and tibial tubular transfer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
thanks karen...yes i can move my foot and toes o.k, its just when i am walking i seem to be flicking the ankle out. The main problem is there
is still no feeling under the kneecap, so when i walk my leg straightens and i feel i am walking on the muscles from the back of the leg and calves.
I wore an ankle support to work today, as in my job i do a lot of walking and lifting. It helped my foot and i felt more secure in walking. I felt my knee was better supported too. Still had heaps of swelling when i got home. I am still doing my daily excercises...but gee its a struggle. Its very painful under the kneecap and there is still a burning sensation where they fractured the tibia and put the screws in. I had the screws removed 3 months after surgery and that was a blessing. it really is very uncomfortable...especially trying to kneel on ther floor so i can wash the dog ;D
oh well such is life...at least i am not in a wheelchair.
2006 arthroscopy
2010 lateral release/tibial tubular transfer

support