Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Displaced bucket-handle tear of lateral meniscus?  (Read 11506 times)

Offline Netball Nat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Displaced bucket-handle tear of lateral meniscus?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
Goodluck with your recovery. I will be following both your recoveries as I am due to join the club on Saturday.
Having a knee arthroscopy for a lateral meniscus tear in my right knee. My orthopaedic consultant diagnosed it straight away before the MRI as it was in a bad way. Have since had the MRI but the results went straight to my surgeon who I don't see until surgery day on Saturday!

Hope you see feeling a lot better soon!
Good luck with your arthroscopies guys and girls I am one week post op having a medial repair, i am not in pain but then again not putting weight down (as instructed) so cant tell! Getting a bit frustrated and foresee a long time on these cructches, sleeping with these forest gump style leg brace is challengin too!!!

Good luck x

Offline MetsFan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
Hey everyone...  I'm a little jealous of your quick recovery too!  I still have lots of swelling and get these lightening bolts of pain through my knee that take my breath away. Don't know what that's about... also don't know if the swelling has anything to do with my unfortunate fall last Saturday. Pain meds helped me to sleep too - I;m sleeping on my back with leg elevated, but that's not too uncomfortable for me.  I just can't wait for the day when I can sleep on my side and scrunch my knees up to my chest though!  See the doc on Tuesday and will start therapy after that... can't wait.

Nat - how long are you non-weight bearing and in the brace? I've heard the repair is a longer recovery, and I hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you!

Wishing everyone good healing,
Sue

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Day 4 Recovery -

I took my ace bandage off this morning so I could really start getting the ice to my knee. I only have two little bandages over the incisions. I put a pack of frozen vegetables behind my knee and another pack on top and wrap it up when I ice now. It gets really cold but I think it is helping much more. The trainer in college used to make me put my injured ankle in ice water for 20 minutes at a time, so this is a lot better than that. One of my best friends is a physical therapist, and he told me I should start doing a few exercises while laying in bed. Told me to start taking my heel and slide it towards my bottom and back to begin getting some flexion back in my knee. Also told me to keep my leg straight and raise it up towards the ceiling to strengthen my quad. I'll start riding an easy stationary bike later this week. I would like to get in a pool, but he told me to wait a few days after the sutures are removed to make sure all the germs in the water can't get into my incisions. Hope everyone keeps improving. I hoped I would be a candidate for a repair, but I can't imagine being on crutches for 6 weeks... that's tough!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:53:55 PM by apsuhead »

Offline Elise88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Well I am back & able to make a bit more sense now. Only managed three hours sleep in the end, not because of pain - just being uncomfortable. Might try and sleep on my side tonight!

My surgery went as well as can be expected yesterday. It was a bucket handle tear of the lateral meniscus as we expected. Not sure how much of the meniscus he took out, will ask him when I see him at a follow up appointment in 8 weeks time. The papers just say bucket handle tear resected. He said the rest of my knee looked fine which was great.  Haven't really felt pain at all expect for when I walk to the toilet/downstairs and back. Spent most of the day in bed with my leg elevated though. Only took 2 pain killers when I got home from the hospital yesterday and haven't taken any today. I was instructed to take the bandage off after 24hrs so did so at 2pm today which meant I was to start icing it. I now have to wear a tubigrip doubled over for the next two weeks for support but I can ice over the top of that. The knee is really swollen at  the moment but its bareable.
Am also to do the 7 exercises 3 times a day starting today. Have to see my GP in 10-12 days for a wound check. I have steristrips to close the wounds rather than stiches so hopefully less scarring & dont have to get them taken out! I am told they should start to peel off in 1-1.5 weeks time? Still on crutches and imagine I will be for a while yet. Back to work tomorrow looking after a 16mth old baby so I wont get as much rest as I should but will try my darn hardest.
Thought I might post the excerises the physio department has given me because it seems like a couple of people didnt get them like I did. Of course you should probably check with your doctors to make sure they are ok for you but this was what was been given out to all the Arthroscopy patients (there were three of us yesterday afternoon!)

Static Quad Contraction
1. Pull foot up straight
2. Brace thigh muscle to push the knee down
3. Hold for 5 seconds then relax

Inner Range Quads
1. Placed rolled up towel under knee
2. Pull foot up
3. Brace thigh, raise heel and straight knee (so its straight)
4. Hold for 5 seconds then relax and slowly control the heel to the bed

- NB - dont leave towel under leg when resting

Straight Leg Raise
1. Pull foot up
2. Brace thigh
3. Lift leg up approx 6 inches off bed keeping the knee
4. Hold for 5 seconds, relax and slowly control the leg to the bed

Knee Bends
1. Slide your heel to your bottom until you feel a comfortable stretch, bending you hip and knee

1. Put heel under chair
2. then straighten leg up in front of you
3. Repeat

Knee Bends
1. Stand holding onto a firm support (stand on good knee)
2. Keeping knees together
3. Bend your heel up towards your bottom
4. Hold for 5 seconds - relax

Knee cap mobilisation
1. Lie with your leg out straight and relaxed
2. Gently move your kneecap towards your other leg

Of course not all of these are suited to everybodys situation but its good to get everything moving again!

Hope everyone is still healing well & to those whose recoveries are taking a little longer - hang in there. It will be worth it in the long run!

Elise

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »
Day 5 Recovery -

Just got back from the nurse visit. She took my stitches out. Knee is doing great. Not much swelling and now I am free to shower and swim. I still may use waterproof bandages when I get in the pool Wednesday. I am still going to take it easy and continue to rest and ice when possible. The doctor took some pictures for me during my surgery and they are attached ...

http://www2.cmcss.net/~HeadRalphM/knee.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:55:10 PM by apsuhead »

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
Day 6 Recovery -

Here are my pics after my 1st shower to clean the incisions...

My knee is still feeling good. I could notice in the shower that there is a little swelling under both incisions, but not much. Still trying to ice when I can. My knee does feel a little tight at times today, like I have arthritis type pain around certain parts of my knee. I think these little pains are where the doctor actually removed and cleaned up spots. (Outside of knee, under knee cap, and on top of the inside of knee) Pain isn't bad, but I can tell I'm not ready to start running around just yet ...

I only used crutches on surgery day and the next day.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:02:45 PM by apsuhead »

Offline Elise88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Looks like they did a nice job. Hope all is going well now the stitches are out.

I am getting there slowly. A little frustrated but I have to keep reminding myself it has only been 72 hours. Unfortantely I don't have the luxury of resting everyday as I've had to go back to looking after a 16mth old yesterday. His parents couldn't get the time off work. Trying to take it easy but as you can imagine it's not always possible.
Been doing my physio and am now able to straighten my leg whilst sitting/walking with the crutches. At what point did people stop using the crutches? It's still swollen & hurts alot when doing physio & walking but other than that whilst still there is minimal pain.

Will try and add some photos...

From the surgery - Before

& my knee last night approx 50hrs post op

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
I see the os tomorrow for my first post op visit.  I am concerned about the puffiness around one incision site.  No its not infected looking - just like a huge amount of fluid is building under it. I am 12 days post surgery.  I can bear weight but frankly its much more comfortable on me to use 1 crutch.  I walk VERY peg legged - then swing leg out so crutch keeps me from doing that.  Also keeps me steady on the feet.  Not sure if I'll have pt or not - he's said he would assess me at the visit.  Sadly I'm having the same pain prior to surgery - but he didn't address everything in there - too much damage.  I'm hoping once I recover the other pain will lessen.  He'd said "oh we can go back in if need be." Ya sure - not right now we aren't - too damned sore to think of.  I am totally being so cautious its scary. Just don't want to mess it up - I ruined my last surgery in pt so the reason for being cautious.  Will report what the os has to say tomorrow.  BTW I'm still icing some during the day and sleeping with ice machine.  eagle

Offline Elise88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
How did the appointment with your os go eaglemom? Any answers in regards to the fluid around one incision?

It's Day 4 post op & I'm having a bit of a crappy day. I knew it would be work afterwards and it would take time but I am on the verge of frustration tears now. Still using the crutches though occasionally I do walk to the kitchen without them but the knee isn't very steady & usually results in pain. Movement has improved alot but finding even a shower (which takes 25mins & a garbage bag covering my leg!) exhausts me and makes me really weak & shaky. Knee cant hold its own weight after that. Same outcome after the exercises.
I'm being told I have just been overdoing it but what can you do.
Also as shown in my photo above I have that plaster/bandage pad thing over the steri strips. Not sure if I should be taking that off, theres obviously dried blood underneath it, that cant be good?
Trying to figure out why the OS & nurses explained all the post op care to me within 20mins of waking up from anaesthetic. I dont remember a thing!

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »
Day 7 Recovery -

I woke up with some swelling this morning. Nothing major, but I could tell I had some in front and behind my knee. When they removed my stitches, they cut off my ace wrap so now I don't have anything to wrap around my knee to push the swelling out. I have a cloth ace knee brace that I have been wearing today and I will also wear it at night to help. I iced this morning and then went swimming. It felt great in the pool - got some good motion without all the weight bearing. My knee did feel a little tight after the ride home. My knee has done really great but I can definitely tell the days when I didn't ice and rest enough. The more I am on my knee - the more swelling and pain I have. Rest and ice seem to be the key to a good recovery. I did notice that one incision has no swelling while the other is more puffy.

Hope everyone else is doing better. This site has provided a lot more info than the doctor told me - I'm glad I researched on my own. I found a good document that details the recovery and expectations from our surgery ...

http://www.orthoneuro1.com/physicians/patient_handouts/Berasi-1-Knee-Scope.pdf
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:07:21 AM by apsuhead »

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Week 2 Recovery

I have been doing great the last few days. The incisions are starting to scar and heal up. They have been the only painful spot, and I can barely feel them hurting anymore. I can almost sleep all the way of my stomach without feeling pain in the front of my knee now. Before I always let my knee hang off the side of the bed. The last of the swelling is almost gone. Just a little remaining under one of the incisions. I was worried because the swelling and knee didn't seem to be changing for about a week, but now I can tell that it almost gone. The only way that I can tell my knee is injured, is if I try to get down on my knees. Still a little pain and swelling evident in this position, or if I squat on my feet like a baseball catcher. I'm so glad I had the surgery and I hope that everything continues to go well. I am ready to start running and biking again. I have to start school next week and keep up with about 650 K-5 students in PE class. I go back to the surgeon August 9th.

How's everyone else doing?

Offline Elise88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
Day 13 here!

Doing fantastic today. Feeling stronger & in less pain by the day. Did alot of walking Sunday-Wednesday as I was visiting London with family. Taken it easy since I arrived home & its done the trick. Knee is quite strong now, was having a lot of pain under the left incision on touching, walking, moving etc but it seems to have gone almost completely today. Just pain when I bend it. Little bit of swelling under the left incision but none under the other.
Walking around home without crutches and only a tiny limp. Still using them when I go out as I live on a hill and was a bit nervous about the pressure on my knee but am thinking of putting them away for good tonight! May be able to sleep on my stomach tonight too, very happy!
Had some dramas last week. The steri strips were falling off but the incisions were still open. GP couldn't decide whether or not to clean them and cover them again, changed her mind 4 times before telling me to just get them wet in the shower. Went to the walk in centre at the hospital the next day and the doctor was disgusted by my GP and said the incisions were prone to getting infected left like that so he glued them both. Been healing perfectly since then. Both are at the scab stage, few more days & it should be sorted.
No pain killers in two days and no ice since yesterday. Hoping to be back driving next week sometime.
My appointment to see my surgeon isn't until 29th September. Busy man! So far so good!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:21:13 PM by Elise88 »

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:08 AM »
Week 3 & 4 Recovery

Went to the surgeon Monday. He cleared me to start exercising and doing anything I want. I went for a 1/2 mile run the other night and I had no pain at all. My knee feels great, only way I can notice anything is when I crawl on my knees. Glad I had the surgery and everything went well. I'm ready to get back in shape ...

Offline Elise88

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
Recovery not going as well here.
I had 2 pain free days and that was it. It has been a month since surgery now and my whole knee is in agony if I walk on it for more than 10/15 minutes. It hurts where the tear was aswell as the top of my knee cap. Not sure why as apparently the rest of my knee looked fine beside the bucket handle tear. It still gets very stiff if in the same position for more than 10/15 minutes. Pain is at a level where I would normally take pain killers but I refuse to take them everyday.
Glad I got the surgery done as my knee no longer locks and gives way but I thought after 4 weeks I would be painfree. As for leaning on my knee, can't, at all!
Don't see ortho consultant until 29th Sept so can't address the issues until then.

Offline apsuhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. Hope the doctor can figure something out.

I ran for 2 miles the other night and then rode by bike for about 40 miles on Saturday, and my knee still feels great.

support