Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Full recovery time after fulkerson's procedure and LR?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline KaseyG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Full recovery time after fulkerson's procedure and LR?
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I had a fulkerson procedure and a lateral release 6 weeks ago today after a lifetime (literally since I was 2 years old) of dislocations. Now, finally at the age of 28 I decided to go ahead and go through with the surgery. The decision was difficult but after falling on top of my 2 year old son while trick-or-treating last Halloween as a result of a dislocation, I really had no choice. I kept thinking of having other kids and falling on a baby in the same way. It was very traumatizing for both of us. Anyway, I am just wondering if the progress I am making is on par with others who have had this surgery. I just started PT last week with knee slides and flexes of my quad muscle. I am still using one crutch at all times and have an immobilizer on at all times as well. I can walk without any crutches only if I am next to a wall so that I can brace myself and am VERY slow all the time. it is frustrating. I feel like I am never going to be back to normal. I guess what I am wanting to know is if my recovery is progressing as it should or if I should be walking without crutches by now and am behind schedule? Also, what is the worst case scenario for full recovery time after these procedures? Are we talking 4 months post-op before I can walk around normally and quickly with no crutches and no brace or what? Any insight would be helpful. I am going crazy trying to take care of my now 3 year old son while all this is going on. Thanks! Sorry if spelling is bad-I am a terrible speller.  :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
Re: Full recovery time after fulkerson's procedure and LR?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
Hello!

I had a Fulkerson/MPFL reconstruction 7 weeks ago.   If you wander over to the Post Op Diaries (<100 Posts) you can find many post op diaries with similar operations, and mine as well.  Just look for my name. :)  Those diaries will give you some insight into what other people have experienced.

Many people aren't allowed to put weight on their leg for up to 6 weeks after a Fulkerson, since the bone has been operated on.  So using only 1 crutch sounds like it's ok.  I am now using just a cane, and nearly off that.  Each doctor has their own protocol, and so long as the doctor or PT isn't concerned, you are probably doing alright.  Just stick to what they tell you, and ask them how you're doing. :)  If you're confused about something, or concerned, ask them to explain it for you, just so you know why the recovery protocol is done the way it is.

And trust me, I know how you feel about not being back to normal!  It's really frustrating to have limitations, especially for those of us who are active and impatient!  I can't tell you what the worst case scenario is for this operation.  It's different for each person, so it's hard to say exactly.  I know my OS thinks I'll be walking normally with few limitations come August, which is 3 months post op.  But I'm pretty happy with how I am now, and can see that things are continuing to improve, and I suspect I'll be walking normally and doing things normally before then. We'll see! :) 

-Jen
And your spelling seemed fine to me!  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:08:48 AM by naturegirl »
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline socogirl76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »
I am going in for my Fulkerson on Monday.....  :-\  Im excitied for no more pain... I mean I know about the post op but not the pain IM having now.  I am nervous now about everything.  I still have to get my pre op stuff done .  So many thoughts I dont know where to begin....

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
KaseyG,
Not sure if I can be much help, however my daughter had her fulkerson/MPFL reconstruction and LR on Feb. 3. Doc says she can lose the brace at 16 weeks. She was able to bear weight as tolerated immediately upon surgery, they now have her only at 50%. She's only 13 so healing time is probably faster. She will be so glad to ditch the crutches also. Her doc had her at PT 1 week after surgery, she is bending to 60 degrees and going up and down the stairs with her crutches. I think every individual has their own pace, from all the posts I read it doesn't seem as if every surgery is exactly the same causing every recovery to differ. Be patient, I know it's hard especially with a 3 year old but you'll be back to normal (as normal as we get) soon enough. Don't rush the recovery you want to be sure everything heals perfectly and if that means keeping the crutches for awhile longer try and do so.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »
Good luck socogirl76,
My 13 year old daughter just had the surgery and is recovering very quickly. She felt the same way you do, little surgery pain is so worth no more knee cap dislocations and pain. Hey if we can be of any help don't hesitate to post to us. We have very much appreciated all the support and friendship we have received and would love to pass it on to others. My daughter had her fulkerson/MPFL reconstruction and LR on Feb. 3 so we're not that far ahead of you.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
I had the fulkerson and LR on my right knee on Sept 24. It has been a slow process for me. I was weight barring as tolerated one week after surgery and was on crutches for about 6 weeks.. I had to use a walker and Im very very clumsy and fell alot with the crutches.. I was in the brace for about 9 weeks. My PT was very slow to get started. Like 4 weeks post op which really slowed my progress. Today I am at 141 ROM and still feel some discomfort from the screws. I was released from PT today. I remember thinking I will never walk normal and will always be slow. Once that brace came off I was alot better. PT helped out sooo much. Hang in there.. U will be up and walking like normal again in no  time!
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline LadyLeprechaun

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Fly me to the moon!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »
I know I'm waaaaay late seeing this post, so my reply won't help any lol. I just can't help but wonder though, at 6 weeks post-op why you were still in an immobilizer and not in a ROM brace! I just had my Fulkerson w/LR 8 days ago. My OS said no to a ROM until 10 DPO, but I convinced him to let me have it at 7 DPO. The immobilizer did more harm than good, putting pressure on every sore spot. I feel worlds better in my ROM I just got yesterday! I just got my web access back today, and can't wait to start my post-op diary ;D
1991- MisDX Chondromalacia
1992-97- Continued Worsening Pain
2000- Failed LR Both Knees
2002- Failed PT
2003- Dx Severe Patella Lateral Tilt
2006- PT Learned to Walk Again
2011- Euflexxa for Grade 4 Chondro
1/06/2012-Fulkerson, LR, and Scope, I'm FINALLY fixed!!

support