Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post arthroscopy numbness and stiffness  (Read 13771 times)

Offline xhui

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post arthroscopy numbness and stiffness
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm 3weeks post arthroscopy for a L knee medial meniscectomy (not too much trimmed). There have been a patch on e left of my knee surrounding the incision which is numb. Have read here that the numbness is normal (tho my PT says she seldom sees patients with numbness for a minor scope?) my concern is more on the bad stiffness I'm experiencing.

I've been readily visiting my PT days after my op and have been doing all those strengthening exercises and stretches. Though I'm able to regain pretty good ROM I can't  be on my feet for too long. My knee will stiffen so bad that I've quite some pain trying to bend or move it - if stationary. Both my incision wound on the kneecap area (but more e left numb side) seems slighly swollen still and the pain when weight bearing are is coming across the knee across the kneecap..

When I do my stretches, e left numb area is really painful producing sharp tightening or 'tearing' sensations! If I'm sitted for a while, my knee gets real stiff when I attempt to walk too. Pretty frustrating..

To make things worse, my doc brushed off the numbness as 'it shouldn't be' and my PT mentioned I should be almost fully recovered and pain free walking by now..

I hope it is not what I've been reading, building of scar tissues?

Comments? Help! :(

oh, forgot to mention, i'm also starting to have some "knots" or "entangled" feelings behind my knee.. mostly on the left side.. calf muscles are aching, ankle and heels too..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:45:59 PM by xhui »
Nov 09 - injury: twisted left knee
Jan 10  - first appointment with Ortho doc
Feb 10  - MRI showed normal, nothing conclusive
Mar 10  - started PT for a month
15 Apr 10 - Arthroscopy, medial meniscus trim (frayings)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Post arthroscopy numbness and stiffness
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
Hi there!  The numbness maybe from a nerve that got tweeked by the scope when it went in or when the meniscus was trimmed.  Everyone is different where the nerves go.  The "tearing" or zinging is probably the nerve comming back.  It may not be usual but it is not all that unusual either.  Typically does not happen after a scope, but depends on where the scope went in.  Give it more time and the feeling should come back.  You may have a numb spot right on the incisions, but those are quite small.  Have you been elevating and icing after PT and any large amounts of activity?  Three weeks out you can still have swelling, even if it does not look very swollen.  There can be some fluid in the knee, it makes the knee feel stiff.  Ice and elevate.  The knots may be trigger points in the muscles.  Doing the PT work makes the calfs, hammies and sometimes even the hip and glutes sore and stiff.  That could be what you are feeling.  Have you tried a warm soak for the knots?  Of course the warm may make the knee feel stiff.

Hope this helps!
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline xhui

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply! It's always a comfort to know or hear from yourself who understands what knee pain can do..

I guess maybe I'm getting a little too paranoid especially with all the high expectations of my OS and PT. I seriously hope my nerves are coming back and I can make the terrible knee pain go away..I can't bear weight without pain now and have incurred my 'good' leg's horrible muscles, ankle and heel aches! And all those without any added activities but just going to and back from work (desk bound).

The haphazard 'pins and needles' on e numb patch was pretty expected after what I've read here.. But it's the 'tearing' or 'skin splitting' pain which is horrible when I stretch or bend my knees..

I get stuck in a straight position when I stand still for a while, takes some excruciating painful effort to push myself to proceed with a step out (faints!) it's the same with prolong being seated too.

ok, I'll try to be hopeful it'll somehow get better and lower my expectations.

Thanks for reading my ramblings..
Nov 09 - injury: twisted left knee
Jan 10  - first appointment with Ortho doc
Feb 10  - MRI showed normal, nothing conclusive
Mar 10  - started PT for a month
15 Apr 10 - Arthroscopy, medial meniscus trim (frayings)

Offline rueishness

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:22:30 AM »
Hi, realize this post is old but was wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was with this? I am having the same issue - a numb patch and a tearing sensation across that patch. It seems to have gotten better with PT and more than that I think the manual massage the PT did. I'm 6 weeks post op.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »
The behind the knee pain could be related to the work that has been done on range of motion or even by the way your knee was moved around during the scope.  If you have hyperextended you knee it can take weeks to get rid of the pain behind the knee-for me it was easily over a month. 

Every average is made up of many individuals who all vary in how they heal.  You are young and because of that they may expect even faster recovery.  Don't let it get to you.  I'm with TwobadkneesUSA on trying a good soak.  Just be sure you add some Epsom salts to the water- you will absorb magnesium through your skin which can help your muscles relax.  When you ask your PT to work out the knots, ask about kiniseotape to keep a little tension on the muscles.  It is amazing!  I have had sore pecs for over 15 years, and when my massage therapist stretched them and taped them last week, for the first time I was pain-free and I have stayed pain-free so far although the tape came off on Friday.

Good luck on your recovery :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support