Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Restless Leg ~ Prompting Pain Killer Use at Bedtime  (Read 5215 times)

Offline DemBones

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Restless Leg ~ Prompting Pain Killer Use at Bedtime
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
I'm 104 days post TKR. Bothered by estless leg each night. So every night I take a 10/325 hydrocodone at bed time. When I donít, even if I can fall asleep, I awaken an hour or so later and my leg is agitated.  Ergo, I take the pain pill I had hoped to avoid taking.

My questions are these. 
Is the restless leg actually a withdrawal symptom from the pain pill that is prompting me to take it? 
Or is the restless leg a common post-TKR issue that taking a pain pill is OK to manage?
Does the restless leg issue go away with time?
While I rarely now need a pain pill for my physical therapy, I do take it, as noted, at bedtime. Am I overdoing it? Is this normal?

Best,
Dem

DemBones

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Restless Leg ~ Prompting Pain Killer Use at Bedtime
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
I'll try to answer as best I can.  I only had a partial knee, but recovery is similar.

Is the restless leg actually a withdrawal symptom from the pain pill that is prompting me to take it? 
  * I don't think so.  Usually you get twitchy or irritable or both not just a restless leg.  I could be mistaken though.

Or is the restless leg a common post-TKR issue that taking a pain pill is OK to manage?
  * I think it is common for the leg to get restless after all day doing things, I used pain meds for the restlessness at night.

Does the restless leg issue go away with time?
  *For me it has.  Not that is does not get that way if I overdo things, but mostly it's gone

While I rarely now need a pain pill for my physical therapy, I do take it, as noted, at bedtime. Am I overdoing it? Is this normal?
  * I don't think you are overdoing it.  If you only use it when it hurts and to keep the knee from keeping you awake, you should not be over doing it.

Pain meds stink and I can understand getting really tired of taking them.  I was taking them around the clock for pain before my surgery and really resented it, but it was the only way I could function through the pain.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
I have had RLS as I titrate down on my pain meds.  My neurologist gave me Mirapex, and it helps a lot, and make the going down on the meds easier.  Mine has always stopped for the most part.  Sometimes I get them for any old reason that I don't know about.

But yes, I definitely have experienced them when going off pain meds.  Just go slow, and you can ask your doctor (GP) for Mirapex.

Good luck, Sarah

3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline junkie_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
I had a HTO at the end of October, I am experiencing the same issue, restlessness at night>  I wake at about 1:30am or so and can't seem to get comfortable at all.  I sometimes end up taking a 10 mg oxy to fall back to sleep.  I do no need pain meds at all during the day.  I am also thinking that my problems are not related to the surgery but more a side effect of the oxy.  I am due back to the doctor on Friday and I intend to ask.  I haven't had a good nights sleep in so long.

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:57 AM »
I have had RLS since my surgery.  I talked to my Dr and was given Mirapex.  If you are off the pain meds, or don't want to be on them,. use Mirapex.  It works like a dream.  And you don't have to take a narcotic, when your issue isn't pain. 

Use the pain meds for pain, not RLS if you can help it.  My primary gave it to me.  Good luck!
SarahMN
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline Sewdelighted

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:16:40 AM »
Hi there,
I had my tkr's in Jan 2010 & then in March 2010. At about 4 months postop I developed restless leg syndrome which was just awful. My PCP was great  and put me on Requip which I have to still take once or twice a day. If I take it at the first sign of it starting up then it works beautifully. Sometimes I do have to taken 2 vicodin if it is reallybad.

I researched RLS and it is usually due to muscle imbalance and should resolve as we get stronger.

Appreciate the great support on this site.
colleen